IGNORED

The Non-existence Of The Perfect Game

Mighty Darknut

Hey, you can't have hated it that much if you played through it twice  :)

Well, I pretty much play every major release, and I often play games I don't like all that much. I highly recommend it - it's fun trying to see what bits people really enjoy in a game you wouldn't ordinarily buy yourself. Bit of an academic exercise and all that.

Like I said, there's some great stuff in Resi 4. It looks incredible, and there's some real fun to be had popping heads with the Striker or fully upgraded Red9. There are some really great moments. No one is denying its merits - however there are plenty of flaws there too. Not everyone will care about them, and not everyone wants to discuss games in that way, but I just find the "this game is so awesome!" kind of discussion to be a bit boring. Resi 4 is great in many ways, but it's rotten in many ways too. We've all got our views, the things we like and dislike.

What's the point? Maybe the player would like to reload from a previous save before the continue point offered, maybe they want to get back to the menu to play Assignment Ada or the Mercenaries, maybe they want to go back and load up the shooting gallery from a save they have. All genuine uses for the quit option to be there on the 'you're dead' screen. I'm sure there's more, but even those few make your rant totally void.

I know it's your opinion, and of course you are entitled to it. But going ape-shit about things like having an option to quit is just <al murray>not normal</al murray>.

This is true actually. I've used that option when I've died to load a previous game on many occasions. A perfect example of why the piece is so badly written.

This is true actually. I've used that option when I've died to load a previous game on many occasions. A perfect example of why the piece is so badly written.

It's not a "piece" - I'm not a writer or a journalist. It's a blog - just another internet twat with his opinions. So don't let it keep you awake at night.

As for the retry / quit option - I think it is stupid and pointless. Sometimes things are put into games because it's a convention, without really questioning its value. Why constantly recommend the player give up and quit the game? You could achieve what you suggest (for example) by offering the player to simply retry from the last checkpoint or load a saved game. It's a small point, but still it is something I dislike.

.:.

If you look at games like that every game is a piece of shit and Resident Evil 4 will still be one of the best games. So if you really feel the need to express such utter bullshit, don't forget to mention how crap other games are then.

.:.

Why, exactly?

I wasn't make a comparative study of Resident Evil 4 versus every game ever made. I was venting about some of the things I didn't like in RE4. If you disagree, good for you.

It's not a "piece" - I'm not a writer or a journalist. It's a blog - just another internet twat with his opinions. So don't let it keep you awake at night.

As for the retry /  quit option - I think it is stupid and pointless. Sometimes things are put into games because it's a convention, without really questioning its value. Why constantly recommend the player give up and quit the game? You could achieve what you suggest (for example) by offering the player to simply retry from the last checkpoint or load a saved game. It's a small point, but still it is something I dislike.

I'm sorry but I do find this baffling, loads of games given you the option to continue/quit when you die, your the first person I've ever heard complaining about such a function. It's not like it's quit by default or something stupid like that. :) (there's nothing I hate more than games that throw you back to the title screen the instant you die...)

As for the retry /  quit option - I think it is stupid and pointless. Sometimes things are put into games because it's a convention, without really questioning its value. Why constantly recommend the player give up and quit the game? You could achieve what you suggest (for example) by offering the player to simply retry from the last checkpoint or load a saved game. It's a small point, but still it is something I dislike.

But then what if there are options that are only available from the main menu which can be accessed by choosing the "quit" option on the "you are dead" screen. Are you suggesting that they load up the failure screen with all the possible options available to the player. For example I might feel like persevering with a particular part of a game I'm stuck on one day and on the next I might feel like giving up and doing something else like say playing some Multiplayer If I can't get pat that section. It just seems like such a nonsensical criticism.

I'd say it was more a microscopic, near invisible point myself.

Look, you can't post something up and say "read this!" and not expect us to comment on it. I won't be losing any sleep over it, but I'm just really shocked that you could miss the point on so many things, especially the sheer amount of improvements they've made to the series, and the genre as a whole. Sure, they could do more, but nobody is perfect. To single out a game of this quality for doing things that virtually every game currently on the market at present is guilty of, is just plain bizarre.

And I actually agree with you about gaming conventions. It's just that in this game those conventions are used better than most, and are even in some cases part of the fun. I mean, it wouldn't be RE without the "You are dead" screen, would it?

Above all though, I can't understand the sort of attitude of a person who goes through a game, literally listing the faults. It's not what gaming should be about.

The thing is, your "review" is completely tainted by your obvious irritation at being unable to beat one of the bosses. It reads like you're throwing your toys out of the pram. That aside, you're just trying to be contentious for the sake of it, eg, in your closing comments when you say "So little has changed etc". Would you like a list of what has changed? Because as most people know, they've changed and improved a ludicrous amount of things.

First of all, it wasn't a review and it wasn't supposed to be. I made that very clear. It was me, venting on some of the things that bugged me during my play through of RE4. As I say, I finished the game twice and I'm entitled to my views. That's all. Anything you assumed above and beyond that is your own problem. Was it tainted by my own irritation? Of course it was. Nothing wrong with that. Opinions aren't borne in a vacuum.

As I said very clearly, a lot of good has been said about the game. There's a lot to like. However, I was making a list of the things that were not good. If you loved every second of RE4, good for you. No one is invalidating that.

So yeah, I think you've got a poor understanding of the game, and why it works so beautifully. In short, I don't think your criticisms are valid, because you justify them so poorly.

Well I'll try not to cry myself to sleep over that. I don't need to justify anything. Someone asked me what things I didn't like in the game, what things could have been improved upon, and I answered. Like I said, if you disagree with my views and want to discuss it, do so. This is a discussion forum. If you have a point to make, make it.

I think I've made it actually.

Not yet you haven't. You've said my points are wrong because they're wrong. That's not discussion. If there's something you strongly disagree about, feel free to talk about it. I might even reply, and it'd all be terribly interesting.

Not yet you haven't. You've said my points are wrong because they're wrong. That's not discussion. If there's something you strongly disagree about, feel free to talk about it. I might even reply, and it'd all be terribly interesting.

Yes we have. We've specifically said that your point about the Quit/Continue thing is wrong, and yet you still haven't discussed it - apart from making the ludicrous suggestion that perhaps every main menu option should be on the 'you're dead' screen so that you never have to quit to get to them.

I'd say it was more a microscopic, near invisible point myself.

Look, you can't post something up and say "read this!" and not expect us to comment on it. I won't be losing any sleep over it, but I'm just really shocked that you could miss the point on so many things, especially the sheer amount of improvements they've made to the series, and the genre as a whole. Sure, they could do more, but nobody is perfect. To single out a game of this quality for doing things that virtually every game currently on the market at present is guilty of, is just plain bizarre.

And I actually agree with you about gaming conventions. It's just that in this game those conventions are used better than most, and are even in some cases part of the fun. I mean, it wouldn't be RE without the "You are dead" screen, would it?

Above all though, I can't understand the sort of attitude of a person who goes through a game, literally listing the faults. It's not what gaming should be about.

What makes you think I missed the improvements? I just haven't talked about those things, it doesn't mean I am unaware of them.

Simply - I got pissed off when I was playing the game, and with my Rllmuk support group offline I wrote a little ranty blog piece about all the things I didn't like in the game. It wasn't a review, and it wasn't really intended for an audience but since someone asked what it was I didn't like in RE4, I responded. I stand by my views, even if they were presented in a divisive manner. All you've really offered so far is "I disagree" or "you're wrong". Which is fine, but I'm open to discussion too if you felt strongly enough about it.

The controls? I don't like them, but they aren't a huge problem. The button-bashing bits? I find them mostly awful, mainly because I don't like instant-death moments and it is easy to nod off in the middle of a dialogue-heavy cutscene. The aiming? I really don't get on well with them at all, except for very close quarters shotgun combat which is a blast. The lack of ammo? This can be a big problem I think - because you really can find yourself at a point in the game where you can't go backwards or forwards due to a lack of ammo. Sure you can start from the beginning again, but that's a bit harsh for a 20 hour game. The other stuff I commented on isn't that big a deal, but I mentioned them for completeness.

You also said that some of the most satisfying, visceral, superbly animated, best sounding, best animated, most fun to upgrade, easy-to-aim-whilst-still-providing-a-challenge-and-incorporating-the-subtle-training-system-of-the-blue-coins, in fact just downright best gunplay, in any game, ever, was "poorly implemented".

Just one example there. I'd demolish your points one by one, but I've got to pick up a suit from the dry cleaners in a minute.

But really, the individual points are irrelevant. If you can't see who badly judged your whole approach to the game is, how thoroughly depressing it is to read a list of someone pretty much inventing faults in something designed to give so much pleasure, then I can't be bothered to debate with you.

Yes we have. We've specifically said that your point about the Quit/Continue thing is wrong, and yet you still haven't discussed it - apart from making the ludicrous suggestion that perhaps every main menu option should be on the 'you're dead' screen so that you never have to quit to get to them.

You misrepresent what I said. Is that how you normally "win" arguments?

If you read my last post on the subject, you'll see that isn't what I said at all.

You also said that some of the most satisfying, visceral, superbly animated, best sounding, best animated, most fun to upgrade, easy-to-aim-whilst-still-providing-a-challenge-and-incorporating-the-subtle-training-system-of-the-blue-coins, in fact just downright best gunplay, in any game, ever, was "poorly implemented".

Just one example there. I'd demolish your points one by one, but I've go to pick up a suit from the dry cleaners in a minute.

But really, the individual points are irrelevant. If you can't see who badly judged your whole approach to the game is, how thoroughly depressing it is to read a list of someone pretty much inventing faults in something designed to give so much pleasure, then I can't be bothered to debate with you.

You've demolished nothing. All you've done is thrown adjectives at me. If you really think Resident Evil 4 features "the downright best gunplay, in any game ever" then I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I found it piss-poor. You're entitled to your views, even if you can't really explain them.

As for "inventing faults" - what nonsense. I invented nothing. I played through the game, I didn't enjoy all of it, and I said why. Of course it was designed to give "so much pleasure" but it wasn't entirely successful in that regard.

For someone who can't be bothered to debate, you sure posted a lot of replies.

The lack of ammo? This can be a big problem I think - because you really can find yourself at a point in the game where you can't go backwards or forwards due to a lack of ammo. Sure you can start from the beginning again, but that's a bit harsh for a 20 hour game. 

Why not simply load up a previous save game?

There you go, another "problem" addressed. Also, if you upgrade the weapons' power you won't use up as much ammo, because each bullet does more damage. Did you know that? I never ran out of ammo in any of my 3 run throughs.

See how you've created something which you perceive to be a problem with the game, but is actually something created through your own lack of understanding?

So I guess you love every game you play then? And every game is brilliant and perfect, isn't it? And you've never felt pissed off or disappointed with a game in your life, have you?

Believe me, if you had lost 10 hours of play time due to a design flaw that left you in a position where you could not go forwards or backwards in the game, you'd be on Rllmuk ranting a bit too. That pretty much spoiled my experience of the game - although I did go back and complete it, just to see all the cool best and get my money's worth.

You misrepresent what I said. Is that how you normally "win" arguments?

If you read my last post on the subject, you'll see that isn't what I said at all.

I'm not misrepresenting anyone. This is your last post on that particular subject:

As for the retry / quit option - I think it is stupid and pointless. Sometimes things are put into games because it's a convention, without really questioning its value. Why constantly recommend the player give up and quit the game? You could achieve what you suggest (for example) by offering the player to simply retry from the last checkpoint or load a saved game. It's a small point, but still it is something I dislike.

Which basically says 'why bother having the option to quit when you could simply offer the option to retry or load'. I say, what if you want to get back out to the main menu to play Assignment Ada? Or Mercenaries?

Players may want to quit for a perfectly valid reason. Getting upset that the option even exists for people who want to use it is bizarre.

It's mainly the realistic animation, the sound effects, the enemy hit zones, the gore, and the addictive nature of the upgrade system which make it the best use of guns since Goldeneye. By the time I'd shot all the blue coins (you did do that bit, right?) the laser sight was second nature.

I keep replying, against my better judgement, because you keep goading me to do so. So I shall goad you back before I leave by suggesting that your complaints re. the guns and the aiming system can pretty much be filed under "you're just a bit crap".

Have a good weekend everyone.

I'm not misrepresenting anyone. This is your last post on that particular subject:

Which basically says 'why bother having the option to quit when you could simply offer the option to retry or load'. I say, what if you want to get back out to the main menu to play Assignment Ada? Or Mercenaries?

Players may want to quit for a perfectly valid reason. Getting upset that the option even exists for people who want to use it is bizarre.

You misunderstand my point. It's the fact that the player can die due to some bizarre button-bashing instant-death cutscene twaddle and then repeatedly be presented with the option to just fuck off. The existence of the option is just fine, it's just the way it is presented to the player - the cheap and nasty "you are dead" thing kills immersion IMO.

The problem, Kiigan, is that your problems with the game are so over exagerated as to detract from any valid points you may have had.

The most obvious example being your problems with the aiming reticule. I found the fact that it bounced a little to be perfectly done. I didn't miss any shots because of this, and I felt it was included so as to reflect the tenseness of the situation, and how scared and nervous Leon (and you) are feeling at the time. As the game went on, I can't say I ever noticed it, and like I said, it was never something that made me miss a shot.

The laser sight itself... yes, sometimes it might be pointing somewhere and you're not quite sure exactly how far right it is of that bloke's head, but you know that it's to the right. All you have to do, is aim left a little bit, until you see that red dot on his forehead. And there's no real need to cite this as a problem in the game, if you ask me. Such situations only occur when the enemy is far enough back. If he's close enough to have you worried, that red dot is going to appear somewhere on his body the moment you raise you gun.

When you come up to the Continue/Quit screen, you seem to think that it's only there because the developers were asking if you wanted to carry on playing a shit game, aswell as encompassing an apology for thier shit game design. Well, I've fnished the game 4 times now, and played it for what must be in the region of 80 hours. (Oh dear :lol:) I think I can recall perhaps 3 or 4 instances where I have died as a result of something that wasn't my fault, and I think all of them were because of somethign Ashley did. (Ashley, by the way, was the best character I've ever had to escort anywhere in a game. For the most part, she kept well out of the way.) That you died so many times as to consider it a result of the game's poor design suggests to me that you're just not very good at this game, and aren't prepared to accept that.

Your point about ammunition is valid in places, but then you go on to say how silly it is that ammo can be found in vases, and boxes in sewars. Further, you want ammo to spawn instantly in boss battles. Well, what the hell do you want? isn't spawning ammo just as silly? There's no doubting the ridiculousness of having a priceless vase displayed in a beautiful dining room containing 20 shotgun shells. But if that's something that really bothers you, you have to ask yourself how they could have implemented ammunition pickups any differently, and in a better way. Also, in a game where you're rescuing the President's daughter, while simultaneously attempting to rid her and yourself of a parasite that will turn you into great big fuck off monsters... how important is the realistic implementation of weapon ammo?

Personally, I found the game to be utterly stunning, and find your criticisms to be made largely redundant by the absurdity of your surrounding argument. I'm open to criticism on any game, including this one. My favourite game of all time has flaws in it that I can plainly see and can accept as reasons for others not enjoying the game. But standing behind "it's an opinion, innit?" as some sort of justification for your criticisms won't do, and I honestly don't believe you've justified them in a way that makes me, or some of the others in this thread, agree with you.

It's mainly the realistic animation, the sound effects, the enemy hit zones, the gore, and the addictive nature of the upgrade system which make it the best use of guns since Goldeneye. By the time I'd shot all the blue coins (you did do that bit, right?) the laser sight was second nature.

I keep replying, against my better judgement, because you keep goading me to do so. So I shall goad you back before I leave by suggesting that your complaints re. the guns and the aiming system can pretty much be filed under "you're just a bit crap".

Have a good weekend everyone.

Not crap though - I finished the game twice :lol:

You seem to be confusing the recognition of gunfire with the actual act of aiming. Definitely, the feedback and recognition of shooting bad guys is fantastic, and I never claimed otherwise. Popping villagers' heads, shooting out legs from beneath regenerating zombies, it's all fantastic.

Regarding the laser sight - I wouldn't have minded so much if it "collided" with the world, the terrain etc. The problem is, when you aim at something, you don't actually see the little red "dot" of the laser colliding with items until you are actually already pointing at exactly the thing you want to shoot. It makes the process of aiming too spongey, unreliable and unpredictable for my tastes. If there's an aiming reticle, I'd like it not to keep disappearing so I can go about the task of adjusting / refining my aim to hit the things I want to hit. Also the artificial wobble is very tedious indeed - for a game that is otherwise all about the thrills and spills of popping heads with shotguns, it seems bizarre to incorporate such an unnecessary tedious concession to realism. Yes you can compensate for the wobbling a little bit by buying upgrades for certain weapons, but it still isn't ideal. It just reminds me too much of old-school wobby hand darts games from the 8-bit era. That's the reason I don't like the aiming system.

However if you get past that and actually hit something - as you say, the reactions, animation etc are all fantastically satisfying.

The most obvious example being your problems with the aiming reticule. I found the fact that it bounced a little to be perfectly done. I didn't miss any shots because of this, and I felt it was included so as to reflect the tenseness of the situation, and how scared and nervous Leon (and you) are feeling at the time. As the game went on, I can't say I ever noticed it, and like I said, it was never something that made me miss a shot.

That's great. . It's all just annecdotal evidence though. You got on well with the aiming system? Good. I didn't though. I understand why they did it, I just don't like it. I find it frustrating an unpredictable - it's like being punished for a failure that isn't your fault.

The laser sight itself... yes, sometimes it might be pointing somewhere and you're not quite sure exactly how far right it is of that bloke's head, but you know that it's to the right. All you have to do, is aim left a little bit, until you see that red dot on his forehead. And there's no real need to cite this as a problem in the game, if you ask me. Such situations only occur when the enemy is far enough back. If he's close enough to have you worried, that red dot is going to appear somewhere on his body the moment you raise you gun.

Right but some of the faster moving bad guys and densely populated rooms don't give you a whole of time to battle the messy aiming system and compensate for its flaws. There are areas in the game where the bad guys are not far enough back, and you need to shoot them, fast. If you're low on ammo and rely on your handgun, you can get some frustrating failures down to trying to coax an invisible aiming reticle into appearing where you want to appear. Like I said, if the dot at the end of the laser beam remained visible at all times, it would not be a problem.

When you come up to the Continue/Quit screen, you seem to think that it's only there because the developers were asking if you wanted to carry on playing a shit game, aswell as encompassing an apology for thier shit game design. Well, I've fnished the game 4 times now, and played it for what must be in the region of 80 hours. (Oh dear :lol:) I think I can recall perhaps 3 or 4 instances where I have died as a result of something that wasn't my fault, and I think all of them were because of somethign Ashley did. (Ashley, by the way, was the best character I've ever had to escort anywhere in a game. For the most part, she kept well out of the way.) That you died so many times as to consider it a result of the game's poor design suggests to me that you're just not very good at this game, and aren't prepared to accept that.

Not at all. I finished the game twice, so I'm obviously good enough. I don't play games to master them anymore though, I play them to be entertained. If the game fucks up and puts me in a situation where I can't progress without starting again, that's a failure of the game.

Your point about ammunition is valid in places, but then you go on to say how silly it is that ammo can be found in vases, and boxes in sewars. Further, you want ammo to spawn instantly in boss battles. Well, what the hell do you want? isn't spawning ammo just as silly? There's no doubting the ridiculousness of having a priceless vase displayed in a beautiful dining room containing 20 shotgun shells. But if that's something that really bothers you, you have to ask yourself how they could have implemented ammunition pickups any differently, and in a better way. Also, in a game where you're rescuing the President's daughter, while simultaneously attempting to rid her and yourself of a parasite that will turn you into great big fuck off monsters... how important is the realistic implementation of weapon ammo?

Not important at all. It's a game, after all. My point was about the inconsistency in insisting upon tedious concessions to realism in some areas but not others. Frankly, the game simply does not work if you run out of ammunition. There are points where there is no path back to get more ammo, and no path forward without shooting stuff. That's a pretty major flaw. So, since the game isn't guaranteed to work if you run out of ammo, I think it is reasonable to expect a vast quantity of ammunition be placed at the players disposal, or at least be allowed to purchase ammo from a trader, or have even a basic weapon with unlimited ammunition. For example, in MGS3 one of the very basic tranq guns has unlimited ammo, and it was a life-saver at times and meant I didn't have to roll back to the beginning and start a new game. I don't expected an unlimited supply of rockets and high-powered weaponry, it's reasonable to meter that. But to meter all ammunition is crazy when you consider that there is no way to make progress without a gun. If the game was designed in such a way that you could progress without shooting stuff, that'd be fine. But it isn't. Either solution would be acceptable.

Personally, I found the game to be utterly stunning, and find your criticisms to be made largely redundant by the absurdity of your surrounding argument. I'm open to criticism on any game, including this one. My favourite game of all time has flaws in it that I can plainly see and can accept as reasons for others not enjoying the game. But standing behind "it's an opinion, innit?" as some sort of justification for your criticisms won't do, and I honestly don't believe you've justified them in a way that makes me, or some of the others in this thread, agree with you.

I'm glad you enjoy the game. Every game has its flaws of course, and RE4 is no different. However ultimately it IS all just opinions. I'm not seeking to convince you of anything. I just didn't enjoy the game as much as you did, for a number of reasons mostly related to the aiming, the button-tapping bits, the inventory management and the clunky controls. For a game that is so advanced in so many ways, it is disappointing they didn't refine those issues a bit further. However if you noticed no problems and sailed through the game without complaint or frustration, I'm happy for you. Everyone plays games differently, and I happened to encounter a few things I didn't like. Hence all this bellyaching.

The button-bashing bits? I find them mostly awful, mainly because I don't like instant-death moments and it is easy to nod off in the middle of a dialogue-heavy cutscene.

Nod off? I'm sorry, I don't post here much, but this is unmitigated rubbish. Nod bloody off? This isn't Metal Gear, much as I love that series. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single cutscene in Resi 4 that lasts over 4 minutes, unless there's a massive increase in cutscene length after ch. 5-2. Hardly dialogue-heavy, either. Part of the reason for the gashness of the story is the absolute lack of exposition in the cutscenes. This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of deliberately distorting what's there.

And the continue/quit gripe...I don't know how people are arguing this. Totally meaningless. The only problem I've had with this game is the glut of endlessly respawning enemies that occured for a few too many portions of the castle.

Nod off?  I'm sorry, I don't post here much, but this is unmitigated rubbish.  Nod bloody off?  This isn't Metal Gear, much as I love that series.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single cutscene in Resi 4 that lasts over 4 minutes, unless there's a massive increase in cutscene length after ch. 5-2.  Hardly dialogue-heavy, either.

It's not hard to understand. Not everyone likes cutscenes. It's not rubbish, just personal preference. Most videogame stories are really poor, and I'd rather actually play than be forced to sit through some geeky game developer's idea of a good story. Narrative in Half Life 2 for example, is handled well without ever feeling too intrusive or heavy handed or taking you out of the game for too long. In Resident Evil 4, I want to shoot zombies. Sure, like most gamers in the world I am used to cut-scenes and I tolerate them - in fact I use the time to catch my breath and have a sip of tea between levels. However the way RE4 does things is, it forces you to sit through their half-baked narrative exposition by making mandatorily "interactive" cutscenes, with some really tedious button bashing exercises. Understand that this is not a test of ability or skill - just a test of whether or not you are still awake.

Part of the reason for the gashness of the story is the absolute lack of exposition in the cutscenes.  This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of deliberately distorting what's there.

I disagree, and no one is "deliberately distorting" anything so let's not resort to hysterics.

I don't think the story would be any better if there were 5 minutes or 5 hours of video explain it. A bad story is a bad story, no matter how long you take to tell it. Admittedly it doesn't matter a damn because RE4 wears its heart on its sleeve - it really is all about shooting zombies in the head, a lot. Which I like. The story is stupid, basically a bloody episode of Scooby Doo, but that hardly matters if the staple diet of play is rewarding and satisfying.

Unless I'm playing a game with a genuinely intelligent and engrossing plot, I don't give a toss about the story - I just want to play and be entertained. That's why I like cut-scenes that are skippable, or at least cut-scenes that I can drink tea during. What I don't like is cut-scenes that I'm forced to pay attention to like a school kid due to instant-death button tapping exercises. It's like a some animal psychology experiment, pressing a lever with my nose to get a treat. It's dumb, and it brings nothing to the game at all. Running around villages shooting zombies is the fun bit, I can do without the button tapping personally.