IGNORED

New Order

Sardan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Pixelated Ben said:

I'm hoping the o2 concert later this year doesn't get cancelled. I've never seen New Order live, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I think it’ll be okay. It’s been postponed from last year and everyone will have been vaccinated by November.  I’m going to the O2 (and Heaton Park). 

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I think it’ll be okay. It’s been postponed from last year and everyone will have been vaccinated by November.  I’m going to the O2 (and Heaton Park). 

I'm most looking forward to (and so I hope they are played!) the trio of Sub Culture / Bizarre Love Triangle / Vanishing Point. What a trio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw a clip of New Order yesterday on some 80s music show on BBC2. There was a little message box shown during the performance which stated that Kraftwerk were amazed at how good Blue Monday sounded considering the cheap equipment it was made with - and that they apparently spent some time deconstructing the track for themselves. I wondered if anybody had any further information on this? Thanks!

15 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I saw a clip of New Order yesterday on some 80s music show on BBC2. There was a little message box shown during the performance which stated that Kraftwerk were amazed at how good Blue Monday sounded considering the cheap equipment it was made with - and that they apparently spent some time deconstructing the track for themselves. I wondered if anybody had any further information on this? Thanks!

Its the sort of story Peter Hook tells. At the time they were using equipment they had built themselves as well as pre-midi sequencers and samplers that often didn’t play well together. I did find these:

But despite KRAFTWERK being the pioneers of electronic music, Ralf and Florian had been so impressed by ‘Blue Monday’, they arranged to meet its engineer Michael Johnson at Britannia Row Studios where it was recorded. “They wanted to book into the studio we used…” remembered Hooky, “and they wanted to use our engineer, because they wanted their next record to sound like ‘Blue Monday’, which is most ironic because we spent years trying to sound like them!”

KRAFTWERK had a look round Britannia Row but unimpressed with the old fashioned, faded grandeur of the studio, they cancelled the session. “I took that as quite a compliment” quipped the Salford Bass Viking playfully.

https://www.electricityclub.co.uk/electri_city_conference-in-dusseldorf/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was interesting. I'd wondered what the deal was with 'Be A Rebel' - I'd assumed it was a lead-in to more new material, but it makes sense that it was an offcut from Music Complete given that nothing else followed it, and also because it wasn't an especially good song.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m pleased Be A Rebel is a leftover, it didn’t really do much for me.

According to an interview with Tom Chapman’s (and Phil Cunningham’s) side project New Order are working on new material:

As hinted by keyboard player and guitarist Gillian Gilbert in an interview with The Yorkshire Post last year, New Order are working on a fresh collection of songs. While cautious of revealing too much more at this stage, Chapman says: “It’s early days but we have written some demos and the plan is to release some more music, which is really exciting. I’m really pleased personally because I think after the release of Music Complete we should work together again. It was a great album and we need to follow it up. We’re creative people and I think the time has come to write a bit of new music.

“I can’t tell you when (it might come out), it might take a few years, that’s usually what happens, but yes, we are writing again.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/sea-fever-were-deliberately-trying-to-do-something-different-3522105