rllmuk
The Hierophant

New Order

Just got the new New Order album, Waiting for the Sirens' Call and it is absolutely brilliant. Much better than their last effort, Get Ready and IMHO one of there best albums of all time (excluding compilations); it's up there with Brotherhood and Technique.

It seems there has been a lot about New Order and how they have been so influential both as New Order and Joy Division, cf the Killers, Interpol etc etc.

Sure some people and some reviews haven't been that positive towards the new album, the majority I have read have said good without being brilliant, but I think they are wrong. I think it's just what a 30-something New Order fan would want. And if that is treading water or relying too much on the New Order "sound" (well what else are they supposed to sound like) then I'll take treading water as often as possible.

Seriosly if you've ever liked New Order pick up the album it's wortha listen (and only £8.50 on Amazon).

• Upvote 1

I just looked on the net. All tracks produced by/with New Order and these others: Producer - Jim Spencer (tracks: 1, 3) , John Leckie (tracks: 4, 7) , Stephen Street (tracks: 2, 6, 10, 11) , Stuart Price (tracks: 8, 9)

In other words pretty respectable producers (well not sure who jim Spencer is but the others are). And it shows too.

Ah! A chance to see which rllmuk'ers have excellent taste in music.

I've been absolutely hammering it on 'Technique' the last couple of days. Think the last minute of 'Dream Attack' is now up there with the entirety of 'The Perfect Kiss'.

Have been a bit put off by the lukewarm reviews of 'Sirens call' though. Guardian, Uncut etc all seeming as if they're afraid of an attack by the hariy norse god of bass himself if they suggest it's crap outright.

Also -

- Heard nothing but good stuff about the title track though.

- Bit apprehensive about the large number of producers they've got.

- Miss Gillian.

Sardan - care to do a quick track-by-track review drawing comparisons to similarities to other tracks?

Cheers!

I'm inclined to say it's crap. That's because we live in times where we always call something crap when we're faced with an average product by a massive act. Ergo, it's crap. In reality, it's for fans only, and you'd be an idiot to buy this if you didn't have all their material from when they were good first. After you've got all that, you might be able to enjoy this New Order-by-numbers affair more.

Still, it's better than Monaco (but worse than Electronic).

Hmm, okay, in a rush as going to see the Doves later tonight. Will do my best. Just starting up itunes:

1. Who's Joe - Starts with cool strings and a bit of electo noise. Then on with the the jangly guitars and Hooky's bass. The chorus reminds me of a more guitar lead Technique. Hmmmm, may be Run? Still not the best track on the album. 3.5/5.

2. Hey Now What you Doing - Straight in with guitars and hooky's base. Great lyrics in a typical New Order stylee, "You had the brightest future, writing songs on you're computer", honestly sounds a bit cheesy but is always better in the execution. Another wicked chorus. Oh and lyrics about guns - could be 1963. One of my faves 4.5/5.

3. Waiting for the Sirens' Call - Title track and great. Again electo noises, bass, drums, and then the high played bass refrain with poetic lyrics. The drums are great as there is a tom that is reminiscent of some of Joy Division's stranger drum patterns - if you listen closely enough! At about 3.10 it goes all instrumental with plenty of bass and guitars with some synth strings before the reprise of the chorus - by which time you are hooked. It rocks along quite pleasantly and is a real grower. And the final minute could have come from Technique with some very cool guitars 4.5/5

4. Krafty - the single you should know this one so I won't go into detail. Slightly more electro than the others with electronic drums. 4/5

5. I told You so - No this one has got some stick for the weird electro/reggae opening and I must admit the first time I heard it I was worried. But give it chance. Next we have some plucked guitar and that brings back the balearic feel of some of the guitars on Technique (yes - I am refrencing this album alot). It is a slower one than the others but gets a bit more electro and a bit less reggae as it goes on and then by about 2:10 you hear the direction it is going in with more breaks and jangles. By the end it is a lot like a Happy Mondays track in the way it skanks funks and jangles at the same time. From about 3.20 it starts to sound a bit like Wrote for Luck (one of the mixes). You know, lots of different things going on but each adding to create something bigger than the sum of its parts. In many ways that typifies New Order - lots of themes all working together. So, I've spent a lot of time on this track, but only cos I think the press got it wrong. A good solid album track. 4/5 reaching 4 in some places.

6. Morning Day and Night - Starts with swirling strings and an electronic baseline then electronic drums. Barney's half (or mostly :P ) spoken lyrics before launching into a chorus that is guitars bass and electronics. This one probably references Republic more than anything else. 3.5/5

7. Dracula's Castle - Piano and synths to start before the familiar duo of guitar and high played bass join in with more lectronics. Again some very "typical" Hooky bass. Reminds me a bit of Dream Attack. Could be the last track on Technique. Oh and the lyrics about Dracula's Castle are bit weak but hey this is New Order, we've forgiven their lyrics in the past and we'll do it again here. 4/5

8. Jet Stream - The next single apparently. Long intro with street noises and electronic beats, piano and Hooky's base then singing about airports. Shit this is Technique isn't it? Actually this one is a bit more Republic at least to start with. Good track but not my favourite. 3.5/5

9. Guilt is a Useless Emotion - Starts with a heart-beat speeding up and then some synths. Yes definitely New Order. The drums pick up the pace a bit and then bass and Barney's lyrics join in. Great lyrics too, "True Love can't be bought, it is wild and it can't be caught" and "you sure know a lot for a girl, you bring the good times back, get me on the tracks", very New Order and we'll forgive them for Dracula's Castle just for those couplets. Then it goes all dancefloor with the sort of synth bass New Order pioneered. Rocks and rocks. The finishes with some fine guitar. Would have prefered this to be the next single. Shit this should be a summer single. 4.5/5

10 Turn - A bit more rock this one and once again it could come from the second side of Technique. That alone makes it a great track in my book. The chorus is great and the guitars a fantastic. Hooky is ever present just in case there was any risk (thyere isn't) that you could forget this was New Order. 4/5

11. Working Overtime - Starts like a Beatles track and is again more rocky with a 60's feel, maybe not the Beatles, Iggy and the Stooges? Or maybe Primal Scream circa Giveout But Don't Give Up. 4/5.

Overall the Album hangs together very well (see below) - 4/5. Maybe more. But then I'm biased.

I think the point the reviewers have missed and indeed what many people miss is that New Order have been so far ahead of everyone else since their inception (well maybe after Movement which could almost be Joy Division with a drum machine - oh shit that still puts them ahead of everyone else doesn't it - :D:( ) that what they do rock and electronic music has become so mainstream that it might sound a bit ordinary or a bit mainstream. But it isn't. It's just New Order playing New Order and everyone else has caught up. They may not be breaking ground like they used to, but can we seriously expect them to?

I honestly don't think this album will bring too many new fans to New Order - unless they really investigate the back catalogue. It is New Order, it is better than Get Ready and as an album it works as a whole, each track contributing to something that is bigger and better than each individual part. Much like my view of New Order's music. Lots of different threads making a wicked cloth.

All in all very very good - it is up there with Technique and Brotherhood. Do not be put off by the reviews. Buy it. Play it. Love it.

Whew.

I'm inclined to say it's crap. That's because we live in times where we always call something crap when we're faced with an average product by a massive act. Ergo, it's crap. In reality, it's for fans only, and you'd be an idiot to buy this if you didn't have all their material from when they were good first. After you've got all that, you might be able to enjoy this New Order-by-numbers affair more.

Still, it's better than Monaco (but worse than Electronic).

I agree it's probably for fans only but it's better than New Order by numbers IMHO.

I also forgot to say it has a summer record vibe for me and I can see myself playing this a lot this year. Shit I'v played it a lot the last couple of days.

I think it's very good. It's astounding that Get Ready received better reviews - though I suppose that was off the back of a bigger lay-off so places were obliged to rave over it. I've noticed a surprising amount of New Order fans putting it up with their best work....It certainly has moments (the title track, Turn) that reach such lofty heights and overall there's only one or two possible missteps on the record.

No probs - hope you like the album.

Warszawa - I am also amazed it wasn't reviewed as favourably as Get Ready which IMHO was so-so (although I may give it another try now). I am a fan and I really do think it is up their with the best.

On a straw poll of the people who I know who have listened to it my wife, who is not a big New Order fan, likes it and my mate who I went to see the Doves with last night was listening to it in his car (he gave me a lift home) and said he really likes it too.

Yeah, Get Ready has its moments but I don't know....overall it's a bit drab. Good to see someone else rating Guilt Is A Useless Emotion highly - that one seems to have divided everyone, but I think it's excellent, one of the record's highlights.

Yeah, Get Ready has its moments but I don't know....overall it's a bit drab. Good to see someone else rating Guilt Is A Useless Emotion highly - that one seems to have divided everyone, but I think it's excellent, one of the record's highlights.

Love that track too, can't stand Jetstream though.

I've been playing the album a lot over the last few days and love it. There are definite shades of Technique on a few of the tracks. Even though they've worked with a number of producers, the album hangs together really well and doesn't feel disjointed, unlike Republic and Get Ready which never really gelled with me.

True it's New Order By Numbers, but that's not a bad thing. It's still the best album I've heard in ages.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that DrK, apart from not liking Jetstream. I think it's okay but there are definitely better choices for the next single.

As everyone likes Guilt... has anyone heard the Mac Quayle vocal mix on the US version of the album??

I am a hoooge New Order fan, I've had a couple of listens, and whilst some songs definitely grow and its better than the last one, it's disappointing.

The thing is there are a lot of great tunes on there, but with some of bernard sumners dodgiest lyrics yet, down there with Slow Jam from the last album.

i've listened to it a few times now and it's growing on me each time, like Technique did all those years ago and i now rate that their best. the title track is gorgeous. a real return to form and i would say the best since Technique.

I almost posted about this the other day after buying Krafty off Itunes. Now I'm off work I've got to pick this up.

New Order are the fucking bomb, let's face it.

Even it it does turn out to be 'New Order by numbers' who gives a fuck? It will still batter most of the shit around these days.

p.s. I never got round to getting Electronic's 3rd album (Twisted Tenderness iirc) even though I bought the first single off it....is it any good? I loved the first two.

Just listened to it two more times today. (Was gonna listen to Get REady just to give it a try again but it wasn't even on my iPod.) The singles should have been/be "Waiting for the Sirens' Call" and either "Turn" or "Guilt is a useless Emotion".

It really is one of those albums that gets beter and better and better the more you listen to it. Much like Technique - which is my fave.

Oh and as to New Order by numbers, I've changed my mind and I disagree. It sounds like New Order (= electronics+guitars+Hooky's bass) but that doesn't make it "by numbers". It is just an easy charge to level because New Order's sound is so distinctive.

Anyone know where they are playing this year - I'm gonna go.

I almost posted about this the other day after buying Krafty off Itunes. 

Why the hell would you pay for it on itunes instead of downloading it for free? Especially if you were thinking about buying the album off the back of it.

Why the hell would you pay for it on itunes instead of downloading it for free? Especially if you were thinking about buying the album off the back of it.

It's just me. I'd never download a game or a tune for nothing if it was something I actually liked. I'd only copy something that I wouldn't usually buy.

It's just me.  I'd never download a game or a tune for nothing if it was something I actually liked.  I'd only copy something that I wouldn't usually buy.

Nope - I'm exactly the same.

I downloaded Waiting for the Sirens Call a few days early just to hear it and have since bought three copies!

I give Sirens' the thumbs up too. I was a little hesitant to buy it after being disappointed by the previous album "Get Ready", but this new CD has some excellent tracks.

My only regret was buying it from Woolworths. WHY DID I DO THAT? It was overpriced, and the case was damaged (which I realised only when I got home). Amazon, I'll never be unfaithful again.

And villenium, Electronic's third album was ok (rockier than the previous album) but it can't compare to the latest New Order effort.

And villenium, Electronic's third album was ok (rockier than the previous album) but it can't compare to the latest New Order effort.

Thanks mate. To be honest I think this is why I didn't get round to picking it up. I liked the dancy production overtones of the first two albums.

In fact, I reckon that both albums are overlooked. The first one was great and the second was really poppy. But in a good way.

The second album is one of my favourite albums ever, having former Kraftwerk lad Kark Bartos writing with them really helped it.

I always found the third album a bit "meh", just like Get Ready. The title track is aces though.