Max Payne

Captain Crunch

And you don't actually shoot him, you have to make inventive use of the physics, so there's none of this 'four clips in your FACE' silliness.

By the way, which ending did you get on the second one?  If they make a third I wonder which one they'll use.

Yeah, I was hopeing for a cut scene where Max shot him in the head at point blank range as he did to the nightclub guy in part 1 though.

SECRET WHAT???????

When you finish the game, you unlock a new difficulty, and when you finish it on that you unlock another. Finish it on that and you get a new, more upbeat, ending.

The fact the game is only about 5 hours long, and even shorter if you just blast through it, makes it worthwhile.

Remember the spoiler tags, people.

Personally, I'm not sure which I prefer. I loved MP1, but get the feeling that returning to it after the physics and improved combat of the sequel will leave me feeling underwhelmed.

Nah, the first is so much more satisfying. Havoks a laugh, but it's wayyy too sensitive in MP2.

• 11 years later...
4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Necro-bump, and I apologise but...

the PS2 version is available on PS4 for like £6 (for PSplus members), and this video might have gone some way to convincing me to get it.

easier than setting up my PS2/Xbox/360 in order to play the game on one of those...

Is that down to actual grpahical improvements or because the PS2 vid is running off a Scart?

• 4 years later...
4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What happened to him?

He left the forum and Twitter a few years ago. But I think some people here are still in touch with him?

Reading my post back, I just realised it probably came across a bit like this:

Simpsons1.jpg.afd33b94c2329ba7b1541966bb7fc023.jpg

Simpsons2.jpg.b9584647152eced1933e1deb5143a0bb.jpg

11 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Absolutely mad the third one of these isn't playable on modern consoles. It's an absolute classic that's sort of lost unless you have a PC. 

Yeah awesome game, is it a licensing issue or something? 

More a case of Rockstar not re-releasing anything. Shame the PS2/XB era they had such a brilliant diverse catalogue of games, the best versions, OG Xbox, still locked there. Would love to play the Warriors, Max Payne 2, Red Dead, Manhunt etc on modern machines

9 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

More a case of Rockstar not re-releasing anything. Shame the PS2/XB era they had such a brilliant diverse catalogue of games, the best versions, OG Xbox, still locked there. Would love to play the Warriors, Max Payne 2, Red Dead, Manhunt etc on modern machines

you know there’s a rockstar pack featuring quite a few of those ps2 games on PS4, that can be played on ps5, right?

eg.

image.thumb.png.d38ba94b379a0bf43acc3b08bdfa9125.png

They are all great but I've a real soft spot for the 3rd one. I really thought that was incredibly done - especially the first play through.

I found further play throughs a bit frustrating due to the unskippable cutscenes but yeah, seriously - what a game.

Incredible soundtrack too. That trip back to New York was just fucking superb.

This track is stupendous actually -

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

you know there’s a rockstar pack featuring quite a few of those ps2 games on PS4, that can be played on ps5, right?

eg.

image.thumb.png.d38ba94b379a0bf43acc3b08bdfa9125.png

do not do this. It is a glitchy mess.

37 minutes ago, SeanR said:

do not do this. It is a glitchy mess.

Yeah compared to the original Xbox versions those PS2 editions are not very good, and those PS4 classics are expensive and emulated with little care. 

I played Max Payne 3 for the first time this month, and elements of it haven't aged well. Although really that's more down to Rockstar never really nailing third person shooting in any of their games. There's a clunkiness to it that often leaves you frustrated with the controls, particularly if you're caught unawares by an enemy as it's not really designed for close quarters shooting. It gets better the more you play it though, as you become more acquainted with its quirks and can learn how to avoid the worst of it.

8 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Absolutely mad the third one of these isn't playable on modern consoles. It's an absolute classic that's sort of lost unless you have a PC. 

Is there a story here? I bought Max Payne 3 digitally for the 360, but it’s not in my game library on Series X. At first I thought it was weird, but didn’t think too much about it - maybe I thought wrong, and I owned it on disc? But nope, definitely a missing digital game. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Is there a story here? I bought Max Payne 3 digitally for the 360, but it’s not in my game library on Series X. At first I thought it was weird, but didn’t think too much about it - maybe I thought wrong, and I owned it on disc? But nope, definitely a missing digital game. 

is it just not there because it’s not on the compatibility list(s)?