rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

What the Doctor looks like always seems to come as a surprise to the Doc. Other Timelords seem to get a bit of a choice: Romana chose to regenerate as the lovely Ms Ward (who'd played a character in an earlier episode), but had to trick the Doctor into letting her stay with that face (by dressing up like the Doctor and hiding her face). I may have remembered that wrong.

Although wasn't there some element of choice about the Pertwee regeneration as it was directed by the boss Timelords? But then he was stuck with the old guy for some reason? I only have dim memories of the Auton Invasion novelisation, we need a proper Dr Who nerd to help out.

:P

They really ought not to have come up with this daft explaination of regeneration and done it in a James Bond stylee instead.

Again, I'm not a Dr Who fan, but I think it's testament to how exciting the new series already is (despite the obvious and accepted flaws) that it's instantly drawn me in.

Well I thought it was fabaroony and can't wait for the rest of the series. So all the haters can stick a cock in it.

Meh! Who cares about him? And you didn't see him die either, they cut away from it.

He's dead. you can see details on "his" site here

http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/

Interesting tie-in, I wonder if they will keep this updated for every episode that the Doctor appears in modern times. As for episode one, I was expecting to dislike it, but really enjoyed it, despite having some doubts about elements of the plot (the ears thing especially) After watching Daleks Invasion Earth 2050, I'm very interested in the future episode mentioned here. I do hope that they add some character to the basic Dalek peon though. I feel we need to be reminded about why they want to exterminate everything.

It's interesting to hear that other posters had Dr Who related nightmares - mine involved the Daleks actually being scary!

Although wasn't there some element of choice about the Pertwee regeneration as it was directed by the boss Timelords? But then he was stuck with the old guy for some reason? I only have dim memories of the Auton Invasion novelisation, we need a proper Dr Who nerd to help out.

He turned down all of them, so they chose for him. His last moments s Patrick Troughton are spent shouting "Oh, not that one!!" IIRC.

They really ought not to have come up with this daft explaination of regeneration and done it in a James Bond stylee instead.

To be fair, regeneration was to replace an actor, so it needed some kind of explanation, but it was never going to be bullet proof (why only 12? Why come back as an old man, like Jon Pertwee?). But it led to some fantastic plot lines, like the Master using up all his regenerations and turning into a walking rotting corpse until he figured out how to basically steal someone else's body.

You may disagree. I might just be able to live with myself in a world where people don't agree with me. :P

Point is though, it's all about opinions. You made yours quite clear very early on. Argue about something worthwhile, instead of making snide comments in a thread where people are clearly largely enjoying themselves and where there is frankly nothing to argue about. You didn't like it, we hear you, and frankly couldn't fucking care less, now piss off.

To be fair, regeneration was to replace an actor, so it needed some kind of explanation, but it was never going to be bullet proof (why only 12? Why come back as an old man, like Jon Pertwee?). But it led to some fantastic plot lines, like the Master using up all his regenerations and turning into a walking rotting corpse until he figured out how to basically steal someone else's body.

Does the Doctor get stupider as he get's older? The Hartnell incarnation, if this is belived to be his 1st, must have lived a long time before getting the chop. nowadays he's going through bodies at super speed in comparison!

Does the Doctor get stupider as he get's older? The Hartnell incarnation, if this is belived to be his 1st, must have lived a long time before getting the chop. nowadays he's going through bodies at super speed in comparison!

That's what working for the BBC does for you.

The Cybermen started off so hard, much like the Borg in concept. By the time they got to later Cybermen stories they were just rubbish gangster robots, and could pretty much be killed just by hearing about gold.

The Tomb of the Cybermen with Patrick Troughton was the best cyberman story for me.

It was great though in 'The Five Doctors' where that assasain robot rampaged through about 10 cybermen with all his arrows and blades and stuff. Did Pertwee ever meet them? During his reign that is.

Ah I loved Dr Who as a kid.

The Tomb of the Cybermen with Patrick Troughton was the best cyberman story for me.

It was great though in 'The Five Doctors' where that assasain robot rampaged through about 10 cybermen with all his arrows and blades and stuff.  Did Pertwee ever meet them?  During his reign that is.

Ah I love Dr Who.

Ah, the Raston warrior robot. Now that sadly has not aged well :P stick to the book.

Don't think Pertwee ever did meet the Cybermen, but then he was exiled to earth most of the time he was the Doctor.

Ah, the Raston warrior robot. Now that sadly has not aged well :( stick to the book.

It would a be a great one to bring back with some fancy effects, the concept is brilliant - scared me shitless as a kid. And the shots of him decapitating and chopping the limbs off cybermen is one of the most visceral Who moments I can remember (I have it on video but dont want to spoil the nostalgia :P).

Depends. He may well go galavanting between - or even during - stories. He could easily dash into the TARDIS, do loads of stuff for years of his own time, then dash back out again, seconds after he went in.

Some seasons of the show linked the stories together, and he was without time travel for most of the Pertwee years, but most of the time he could easily have done loads of other stuff. In fact, he did age several hundred years between Hartnell and Baker. Presumably there were loads of untelevised adventures (or perhaps just a very long untelevised beach holiday).

Some questions:

Can any one explain what was reffered to when the Doctor talks to the Autons about when they unviel the TARDIS and go mental?

Secondly: I thought the TARDIS was supposed to be broke. I only ever read a few of the books but I thought the Doctor couldn't control where the TARDIS went. I also remember it being explained that the TARDIS had become stuck as a police box. It was supposed to be able to change its exterior based on where it travels to.

Can someone tell me the name of a Dr Who monster - I think they were disguised as humans, during Tom Bakers stint, but when they removed their masks they were like green slim with a single eye in the head. I think I remember a scene where one is sitting at a dressing table and it takes its human face off. I think it wore a cravat.

I thought it was great.

I was never a huge Who fan but grew up in the 70s and remember enjoying the Baker years. I lost interest when Davidson came along though.

So I didn't have any great expectations about the new series and I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought Ecclestone was great, the perfect combination of gravitas and eccentricity, and he reminded me a lot of Tom Baker in that respect. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series especially given that there's an episode by one of the League of Gentlemen and one by Stephen Moffat who wrote Coupling and Joking Apart - so that will be intricately plotted and building up to a stupendous final five minutes (I confidently predict).

I can understand why Davros, Linkster et al who are huge fans of the original run might be disappointed but as a near neutral I'm perfectly happy with it.

Oh, and I used to have nightmares about the sea monsters, for some reason.

I have a Dr. Who story I heard today.

Sylvester McCoy was at some Dr Who celebration thing a few years back, and he was looking at a wallmounted gallery of all the doctors.

And then Tom Baker came up, pished, and put an arm around him.

"Lets face it, we shit all over these other cunts," he said.

And that's a true story.

THE END.

Also, I pure mental wanted to bang Ace until her tights exploded.

Soph91a.JPG

And Peri? Christ almighty. She did me in, that American fox. And look at her now! She looks fucking great!

Nicola-Bryant.jpg

EDIT:

Look over Nicola Bryant's shoulder in that pic.

Fucking nWo merchandise!!! I LOVE HER!

nwo.jpg

Kid datapoint: my eight year old nephew loves it. He's was on the phone to his (completely bemused) Granddad for half an hour telling him the plot in every intricate detail.

Can someone tell me the name of a Dr Who monster - I think they were disguised as humans, during Tom Bakers stint, but when they removed their masks they were like green slim with a single eye in the head.  I think I remember a scene where one is sitting at a dressing table and it takes its human face off.  I think it wore a cravat.

That's in "City of Death" and it's the last of the Jaggaroth (sp?). I only know this because it was on UK Gold the other day.

Some questions:

Can any one explain what was reffered to when the Doctor talks to the Autons about when they unviel the TARDIS and go mental?

No. It's very common in Dr Who stories for him to refer to stories which have never been portrayed in the series or as books. The line Ecclestone came out with there reminded me of another Who story, Talons of Weng Chiang, when he refers to being with an army during an earth world war during the year 5000.

Off at a slight tangent, but it kind of bugged me in the lines leading up to that scene with all that talk of the Shadow Convention, like there's some rule of combat to which the galaxy must defer. Although it is mentioned in older stories (Cyberbombs being illegal for example), it's a bit Star Trek for me.

Secondly: I thought the TARDIS was supposed to be broke. I only ever read a few of the books but I thought the Doctor couldn't control where the TARDIS went.

It's broken insofar as it provides a handy narrative device for random stories. the Doctor often plays dumb in that he expects to go somewhere but gets it wrong. nonsense really, he's a traveller and an adventurer so puts on the pretence just so he can go somewhere new. If he ever really *needs* to get somewhere, he gets there, proving he knows what he's doing & the TARDIS will obey.

I also remember it being explained that the TARDIS had become stuck as a police box. It was supposed to be able to change its exterior based on where it travels to.

That is true. The chameleon circuit which broke on a visit to earth and he "never got around to fixing." One of my fave lines in the new one is "It's a disguise". Yeah, it was in 1950 :)

He has an enemy called The Master who has the only other Type 40 TARDIS still in operation with a perfectly functioning chameleon circuit & does manage to disguise itself wherever it goes.

I can understand why Davros, Linkster et al who are huge fans of the original run might be disappointed but as a near neutral I'm perfectly happy with it.

Eh? Which part of "I thought it was superb" gave you that idea? :)

Also, was there an episode that showed what was inside the Daleks?

There were several. Planet of the Daleks is the only one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Eh? Which part of "I thought it was superb" gave you that idea?  :)

Err... sorry. In my defence, I read this whole 14 page thread in one sitting and got confused.

But if you had been disappointed, I'd understand! :P

And Peri? Christ almighty. She did me in, that American fox. And look at her now! She looks fucking great!

9a_1.JPG

The ONLY reason for watching the Colin Baker episodes. TRUFAX.

Can someone tell me the name of a Dr Who monster - I think they were disguised as humans, during Tom Bakers stint, but when they removed their masks they were like green slim with a single eye in the head.  I think I remember a scene where one is sitting at a dressing table and it takes its human face off.  I think it wore a cravat.

Skaroth, last of the Jagaroth (from City of Death):

5h.jpg

You saw the creature inside the Dalek in Genesis of the Daleks (possibly in other stories too).

Fishy

EDIT: Oops! Linkster got there before me.