rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

Karen Gillan does her best, but she’s not enough of an actress to add flesh and blood to the paper-thin material she’s given; as a result, Amy comes off as simply snappy and significantly less likable than many of the other female supporting characters Matt Smith is paired with, especially Meera Syal’s Nasreen (in The Hungry Earth), Alex Kingston’s River Song or even Caitlin Blackwood’s young Amelia, all of whom you feel would be more engaging companions.

Well, that just undermined the entire article.

No, I'm afraid scottcr is correct, as much as the other episodes people here have brought up are bad, Fear Her is the worst moment in recent Doctor Who history, its just unwatchable.

I'd always rate something like Planet of the Dead lower because it's just nothingy. It's like it's not even trying to be interesting. The Doctor's Daughter is a total mess but it has some elements of a great episode, especially the twist. I much prefer failed experiments to flat-out dullfests.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Gaiman episode although the more i think about the dream lord ep the more I think we've had something very close.

Not always, but Gaiman's stories often tend to revolve around one of two things: a hidden fantasy world existing alongside our mundane one (Sandman, Coraline, American Gods, Neverwhere, Anansi Boys), or short stories with a framing device involving people sitting round telling each other stories-within-stories (Sandman: Worlds' End, Sandman: Fables & Reflections, October in the Chair and Closing Time). That he uses these two tropes so often isn't a criticism: he's really good at both them.

It's easy to see how either of those could fit into a Doctor Who setting: for "world of magic" substitute the more sci-fi "parallel universe" - and who knows, maybe his episode will be an anthology of short stories told by ordinary people who had all encountered the Doctor at some point (Love & Monsters style!)

Bearing in mind this was a reboot series and Moffat likely had a million things to do before he even got to writing the scripts

Like Tintin and Sherlock Holmes...

So I watched a repeat that Never Mind the Buzzcocks Doctor Who special on Dave last night. By the end of it I was hoping and praying that a crack in space and time would eat Catherine Tate and wipe her from my memory.

What amazed me most about Planet of the Dead was that they actually did location filming for it, but it added nothing to the episode and it would have been just as well for them to greenscreen all that desert.

the fact that it's associated with dubai just makes it even worse

Planet of the Dead was cursed from the start. Before they did the location shoot in Dubai, the double-decker bus was totalled in transit. Someone dropped a massive industrial crate on it. Or a crane. Something like that. Anyway, it was obliterated. :facepalm:

Whereas the likes of Donna, Rose and even Mickey were allowed to develop as people, Moffat characterises Amy as “the sassy one”, and not much more. Karen Gillan does her best, but she’s not enough of an actress to add flesh and blood to the paper-thin material she’s given; as a result, Amy comes off as simply snappy and significantly less likable than many of the other female supporting characters Matt Smith is paired with, especially Meera Syal’s Nasreen (in The Hungry Earth), Alex Kingston’s River Song or even Caitlin Blackwood’s young Amelia, all of whom you feel would be more engaging companions.

To me, that's utter horse shit. I'd say Amy has been the best companion since the new Who started. Martha was too wooden, Catherine Tate was ok, but hammed it up too often and Billie Piper was alright, but shouldn't have gone more than one series and her last appearances were bizarre with her dodgy face.

Probably bollocks but has this been posted yet?

http://thatsmyskull.blogspot.com/2010/06/who.html

Predebunking aside that's a laughably poorly written fake press release. I think that they've figured out that the character's name isn't "Doctor Who" at this stage, and I don't think that it's possible for someone to star in a treatment. And the rest.

Come to think of it I'm not sure that the author knows what a film is.

To me, that's utter horse shit. I'd say Amy has been the best companion since the new Who started. Martha was too wooden, Catherine Tate was ok, but hammed it up too often and Billie Piper was alright, but shouldn't have gone more than one series and her last appearances were bizarre with her dodgy face.

Rose > Amy. Piper was one of the best things about RTD era doctor who. To be fair though, the issue with Amy is that because of the wedding, she couldn't just slip back home for a bit like Rose did. Next season we might see more of her close circle with this constraint removed, which would be a good thing if we get more of the likes of Rory. Also, most of the stuff this season has sort of happened to her, she has been quite a passive figure despite her 'free spirit' shtick.

I've watched it a couple of times now and for the life of me can't make out the line that precedes the 'I don't trust Richard Dorkins' comment. Anyone know what's said?

Also.. on first and second watch I don't remember disliking the design of the Daleks when they showed up... It didn't even strike me it was the new design at the time. I think my main issue in their first ep was in seeing the new ones next to the old ones (which I still prefer). Seeing them on their own gave me no context to dislike them...

"It's quite common, actually. Throughout history people have talked about seeing stars in the sky. God knows where it comes from."

"I just don't want her growing up and joining one of those star cults."

For anyone interested today is Big Finish day. Big discounts on the main Who audio range with the first 50 available for a £5.00 each! So if you've never tried Audio Who but were curious nows the perfect time to find out. Theres also a preview of the upcoming 5th Doctor story "cobwebs" and free wallpaper as well. Go check it out if you want something to fill the gap between now and the christmas special.

"It's quite common, actually. Throughout history people have talked about seeing stars in the sky. God knows where it comes from."

"I just don't want her growing up and joining one of those star cults."

Cool cheers :facepalm:

For anyone interested today is Big Finish day. Big discounts on the main Who audio range with the first 50 available for a £5.00 each! So if you've never tried Audio Who but were curious nows the perfect time to find out. Theres also a preview of the upcoming 5th Doctor story "cobwebs" and free wallpaper as well. Go check it out if you want something to fill the gap between now and the christmas special.

Excellent :hmm: This is from their store right? And do the Paul Cornell books come in on that? I've often heard he's the one to listen to but never got there just yet. For a fiver a shout I may well give it a go.

Cool cheers :facepalm:

Excellent :hmm: This is from their store right? And do the Paul Cornell books come in on that? I've often heard he's the one to listen to but never got there just yet. For a fiver a shout I may well give it a go.

Bigfinish.com. The only Cornell cd in that offer is Shadow of The scourge, which whilst not a standout is good enough.

It's amazing what nice legs and red hair will do to a man!