Doctor Who

FishyFish

The problem with Dr Who is that he's changed from fairly human detective of old to an all knowing weird Superhero... I know what you're thinking "he doesn't really have any superpowers" but he does, he can turn any situation around by speaking a load of bullshit and bringing in plot devices that haven't been mentioned before. The explanations are so in-plausible that they may as well be fucking magic!

Also the shift to the Superhero side is bad for another reason and that's because they're so low budget they can't deal with the size of the situations being a superhero creates (nor can they write well enough to do it justice). In the end you get stupid WWII planes flying through space in an incredibly unrealistic manor. Their best stories have always been the smaller ones because they can afford the special effects and concentrate more on the story rather than how many enemies can you fit on screen.

I know what you're thinking "he doesn't really have any superpowers"

I dunno he fell from a spaceship in the sky through a plate glass skylight onto a marble floor and got up with a couple of scratches. That would have fucked up Batman but not SuperDoctor. Then there was that time that enough people said his name at once or some bollocks and he started flying around the room.

The Doctor of old was always on the run, and you got the sense he was running ( from the Timelords after stealing the Tardis ) ....you dont get that so much these days.

Why would he be running from the Timelords still when they are all dead?

Pyramids of Mars is another great example. When the mummies are hunting down the poacher there's a real coldness in the way they go about tracking him down and murdering him. I think it was a staple of Brit sci-fi back in the 60s and 70s that here was far more horror involved - to the show's benefit IMO.

I agree with everything you and Davros are talking about here. Pyramids of Mars is great;

, while it's not particularly creepy, really horrified me as a kid as it spelt out what would happen if The Doctor and Sarah just ran back to the Tardis and buggered off (exactly what I'd always assumed I would do if I were travelling with the Doctor). It's up there with Talos turning around on his plinth in Jason and the Argonauts as the stuff of kiddy nightmares for me.

I'm a bit surprised by how much of a kicking this latest episode's getting; I thought it was an amusing enough (if a bit lightweight) 40 minutes and the Dalek's plaintive "you do not require tea?" while it was getting smacked around the dome with a giant spanner was worth the price of admission alone. Okay, the bomb diffusal scene was pretty hokey, but not nearly as bad as Donna's magic typing disabling the entire Dalek race; a resolution so poor I actually had to turn over in embarrassment.

14-minute Steven Moffat video interview:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/...-doctor-who.php

Very interesting - but I was a bit surprised by how many hints he gave about certain things (including when exactly in River's life the 2-parter takes place), so don't watch it if you don't want any hints at all about what's in store.

The interviewer does mention the 1990 date on Rory's hospital badge, and Moffat gives a surprisingly definite answer about that... BUT DO WE BELIEVE HIM...?

When asked about the scale of the series finales ("season finales - now more intimate than ever!"), he gives some vague-ish hints about how grand the scale might be for both this series and what he's sort-of got in mind for series 6 - another thing I was surprised he said anything about at all! But this line will be very promising to those who thought that RTD's finales were undermined by their universe-in-peril ambition:

It's dramatic if you're threatening the universe - it's equally dramatic if you threaten one person. It has to be huge for the characters.

He's also asked about the possibility of companions from other time periods, and mentions that RTD was very close to introducing a Victorian companion. I'm not sure if that's ever been revealed before (haven't read The Writer's Tale).

It got to the point where it was so bad I just had no interest in watching any of it. I think I reached that decision when I saw the Doctor defeat Sam Tyler with the power of human belief. After that utter garbage I knew the direction RTD was taking the show in was not for me, combined with David Tennant shouting his way through every episode and Catherine Tate I had to bail on the show.

Yes, the series 3 finale was awful.

But series 4 was, on the whole, excellent. Even some of the weaker episodes have their moments, and Catherine Tate steals the show really. You really should check her out in Silence in the Library/Forst of the Dead and Turn Left. She's excellent.

The Daleks are blatantly going to be the baddy in the series finale. What's the point in having a whole episode in order to introduce the new look Daleks unless they're going to come back later and actually do something? If they were just going to have one Dalek episode this season there's no way they'd go to the trouble of redesigning them.

Catherine Tate steals the show really. You really should check her out in Silence in the Library/Forst of the Dead and Turn Left. She's excellent.

+1. I'm not a big fan of her as a comedian, but she's a surprisingly decent actress and I grew to like her a lot as Donna.

+1 I'm not a big fan of her as a comedian, but she's a surprisingly decent actress and I grew to like her a lot as Donna.

+2

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and endure through some Tate to watch Turn Left, Midnight and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead as others have suggested. What's the best out of those supposed best? I don't want to watch the worst and be put off of the better one by that scourge of the screen

Fires of Pompeii and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are the best in Season 4. Watch the later 2 parter before this Saturday though :blah:

I didn't really rate Turn Left as a story, although there's some good acting.

Midnight barely features Donna at all, and is pretty ok.

Teaser spoilers for the next episode from Digital Spy

1. When we meet Doctor Song, she's on the run - but she has an escape plan involving The Doctor.

2. The episode includes the caption "10,000 years later."

3. There's a Weeping Angel trapped inside the Byzantium.

4. First mention of "spoilers"? 9 minutes 27 seconds.

5. Amy: "Is River Song your wife? ... "She's the ****** from the ******, isn't she?"

6. There's a device that harks back to 'Silence In The Library'. Think "hey, who turned out the lights?" (Squareness Gun?)

7. Amy should really learn that too much TV is bad for her eyes.

8. The Doctor. Bites. Amy.

9. River: "I have pictures of *** **** *****."

10. The cliffhanger isn't the usual sort of two-parter cliffhanger we've grown accustomed to with new Who. Despite being very familiar.

The Daleks are blatantly going to be the baddy in the series finale. What's the point in having a whole episode in order to introduce the new look Daleks unless they're going to come back later and actually do something? If they were just going to have one Dalek episode this season there's no way they'd go to the trouble of redesigning them.

Apparently they feature in at least the first of the spin-off games, which appear to be being treated as canon (they are certainly written by the regular team and the series is described as having "17 episodes, 4 of which are interactive"). Maybe this was the intention for them?

Just watched the surprisingly bad WWII Daleks episode. Dreadful editing, Matt Smith was woeful like some 6th form drama student trying to remember his lines, and ginger just hung around doing silly pouty faces when not completely surplus to requirements.

Smith was way too lightweight to convey any sense of drama or menace this episode. I enjoyed the opener and quite like the new look iDaleks, but things better improve quickly.

For extra depression, compare Smiths reaction to seeing a Dalek with the very first time Christopher Eccleston saw one. Its as though Smith didnt know what it was and was just going, ooooh, scary Dalek..er...what are they again?

Just watched the surprisingly bad WWII Daleks episode. Dreadful editing, Matt Smith was woeful like some 6th form drama student trying to remember his lines, and ginger just hung around doing silly pouty faces when not completely surplus to requirements.

Smith was way too lightweight to convey any sense of drama or menace this episode. I enjoyed the opener and quite like the new look iDaleks, but things better improve quickly.

For extra depression, compare Smiths reaction to seeing a Dalek with the very first time Christopher Eccleston saw one. Its as though Smith didnt know what it was and was just going, ooooh, scary Dalek..er...what are they again?

I think this was the first one they filmed, which may explain why his performance was worse than the last two weeks.

I think this was the first one they filmed, which may explain why his performance was worse than the last two weeks.

Yeah, overall, I think it was a good move to film the first episode some way into the run. It worked very well for Davison, whose turn in Castrovalva was great - he'd been given time to settle into the role before they filmed his first story, which gave viewers a strong impression of the new Doctor. (Ironically, a Doctor's first story is often when the character is most unsure of himself, but I guess it helps then for the actor to be comfortable). Unfortunately, this method of filming does mean episodes later in the run might have a lead actor who isn't as comfortable in the role as he was at the start of the season.

In the case of Smith, he was definitely very Tenant-like, and surprisingly unsure of himself, in this Dalek story, unlike his assured performance in the first two episodes aired. Let's hope he got better fast, so that the next two weeks are a decent watch.*

*Edit: oh no, they filmed the next two before the Dalek one, so he's likely to be much the same. Let's hope the Tenanty-ness was largely due to the script, then.

They'll never recapture the atmosphere of Old Who, sadly. There's something genuinely unsettling about the best examples, in terms of the way they were shot and scored. Even the more scary episodes of New Who don't have that surrounding base level of...I dunno...eeriness.

The old Who was very sparse - on terms of actors, sets and the music. The RTD era seemed to follow the George Lucas theory of more is better. It does seem as though Moffat has taken a step back on this, but they still really need to sort out the sound - kill off the orchestral swells, reintroduce some of the 80s synth sounds that made classic who scenes and let the damned actors speak without drowning them out.

And I actually really liked the last episode. I loved the running punch he did - pure Rich & Eddie stuff.

Though I think all the people who are complaining about dialogue being drowned out must be deaf or something, I'd definitely like to see a return to the old synth drones and slower pacing. I watched Image Of The Fendahl last night, and even though it turns shit as soon as the monster is actually shown, the actual build up is genuinely creepy. Another key difference between then and now is how much more deliriously vicious Doctor Who used to be with offing the secondary cast in cruel and imaginative ways. I think the current generation of kids deserve the same right to be too afraid to go to sleep at night.

Though I think all the people who are complaining about dialogue being drowned out must be deaf or something, I'd definitely like to see a return to the old synth drones and slower pacing. I watched Image Of The Fendahl last night, and even though it turns shit as soon as the monster is actually shown, the actual build up is genuinely creepy. Another key difference between then and now is how much more deliriously vicious Doctor Who used to be with offing the secondary cast in cruel and imaginative ways. I think the current generation of kids deserve the same right to be too afraid to go to sleep at night.

Hear, hear. A lot of old Who ended in total bloodbaths. See Horror of Fang Rock or Warriors of the Deep for example.

I haven't really shared this observation before and I'm not really sure if anyone else has aired it either but does anyone think there's any synchronicity between prisoner zero in ep1 and the smiler announcing the little lads score at the begining of ep2 as ZERO? It seemed to stand out for me at the time. Coincidence?

Watching this episode, I was struck by how much Matt Smith reminded me of Sylvester McCoy's Doctor.

I have a suspicion that the entire episode was written on the premise that they wanted a scene where a Dalek serves a cup of tea.