Doctor Who

FishyFish

post-1027-1271548851_thumb.png

JO: "I'm so bored I could do a naked photoshoot with the Daleks..."

THE DOCTOR: "If I reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, I should be able to submit the thing in my hand, plus the thing you're leaning on into the RLLMUK 'Things with faces' thread..."

Those two 'things with faces' remind me of the rape-fish and his friend on the fish counter.

e6po36.jpg

I really enjoyed that; some great dialogue, and general exuberant ridiculousness.

I thought the space spitfires were ace, and served as a nice reference to Star Wars - the dogfights in that were famously based on WW2 movies, so having actual spitfires in a space battle was a clever idea.

I think she may have been originally intended to come from the '90s, if I remember the rumours right, but then The Eleventh Hour featured references to social networking, a modern notebook PC and modern mobile phones with inbuilt cameras, so she doesn't.

So, the episode.

Having seen The End of Time repeated a few weeks ago, I thought, not another Star Wars homage when the Spitfires attacked the Dalek Saucer. :quote:

Genuine LOL there FishyFish, incidentally. Great one. :(

You have made a fundamental error.

She is from the 90s but not OUR 90s. A parralel universe where everything is a little bit advanced. Hence all of the things you mentioned happening in the 90s.

...Maybe.

Could it be that

since Bracewell is an android, he's lived on well into the 90's and has gone on to develop advanced communication technology and will eventually turn up again and make the Doctor regret saving him

I thought that may happen too. If he has a true positronic brain, then he's meant to abide by the 3 rules - this was prehaps why the doctor saved him. The daleks DID create the tech, but it could be turned into good and was actually a new speices.

That said...the mere fact the doctor knows a positronic brain exists implies other beings have them.

Its also very early in human life to have an android so the doctor has changed history there yet told Churchill not to use the modded spitfires.

A predictably crap episode and, much like last week, felt rushed and had a surprisingly ineffective Doctor. After the promising opening episode I was hoping the ratio of good to bad episodes would be better but I've got a horrible feeling we are still only going to get 3-4 good episodes a series.

The upcoming two parter does look fun though.

I think she may have been originally intended to come from the '90s, if I remember the rumours right, but then The Eleventh Hour featured references to social networking, a modern notebook PC and modern mobile phones with inbuilt cameras, so she doesn't.

But the theory is that

the crack is a crack in space/time, bringing two things together that should never have been or similar, according to the Doc. So, Amy herself is from the 20th century with all these 21st century things in it. And she doesn't remember the Daleks.

My other theory (which I discounted after going to the site) is that the crack is somehow sucking stuff into it, like Dalek memories.

Even though this last episode fell a bit flat, I love how we're all talking theories and trying to figure out what the heck is going on after only three eps :quote:

Its sad but true that if your going to have a balls out all action Dalek epi (which is what i always want from Daleks and Cybermen)....a 60 minute slot isn't going to work.

I don't think any of the Dalek or Cybermen episodes have worked properly. I'd never thought i'd say this but there is too many of them and no other roboting mech based death machines.

And i think there needs to be.

The Dalek/Cyberman epi's should be longer.

Not looking forward to next week TBH....

As I feared the single episode format killed what was potentially an excellent story. It just felt far too rushed. If it was a two parter they could have played up on the subservient Dalek angle a lot more with the Doctor desperately trying to prove how dangerous they really are and then they could have ended the first episode with the reveal of the new Daleks.

Except he could have proved it in two minutes, and I was suprised he didn't try it in the episode as it stood. All he had to say to the scientist bloke was "so you invented the Daleks, did you? Well, if you don't mind, can we look inside the casing? And then you, if you don't mind, you can explain how exactly you 'invented' the alien creature that's living in there."

"Winston you BEAUUUTTTTYYY-AHHHHH" stank of Tennant's Doctor. Urgh. I thought each one was supposed to be a different personality?

Everytime I try to get into Who, and I do try because I like the concept and I want to like it, I watch a couple of episodes and start to feel some appreciation for the show and then I see an episode like this which just sucks balls and it puts me back to square one.

Look how bored Jo is. Probably my least favourite Doctor and companion combo (ditsy "So could you explain that for me and all the boys and girls at home Doctor? assistant, bullying and arrogant Doctor), but yes - good for the lols.

And there was the terrible "Venusian Aikido", where he'd suddenly, and unconvincingly, chop people. "Hai!".

quite enjoyed that, a solid Who episode - the New Guy makes it i think, the Old Guy would have been full of mockney wankery and idle walks down the street, pointing things out like '...look at that, a dog on a string! brilliant!' Smith does seem to enjoy playing the part and him flying off the handle and lamping the Dalek was pretty neat.

like the new go-faster Daleks - a throwback to the old Peter Cushing movies, where they used different colours.

[yt]e98Ozg0yFSY[/yt]

That, and the "You're brilliant, you're brilliant, and you..." was rather Tennanty as well. It seemed a little jarring.

Apparently this was Matt Smith's second filmed episode, the ones we've seen so far were from later in the filming schedule so looks like he turned the Teanntyness down as he went along. Unfortunately next week's two parter is his first episode so I fear he may be in full on Tennant bipolar mode.

When was UNIT formed in-universe? I honestly expected Bracewell to be recruited into something like that.

It was introduced during Troughton's run in the sixties, but I don't think its origin has ever been mentioned. It would have had to have been after 1945 though, as the United Nations wasn't formed until then.

I thought the episode was pretty naff really. It served its purpose in rebooting the Daleks, but it was really light on substance, full of hammy "40s" dialogue and a bit too silly. I loved the idea of spitfires in space when I saw it in the trailer, but they were really badly introduced in the episode. One second Bracewell is saying how he could theoretically rig up a spacecraft, and about five seconds later the Daleks are under attack from no less than a squadron of the things, packing laser cannons and piloted by apparently fully trained space pilots.

Bad Gatiss. :lol:

Next week's should be amazing though.

A lot of the acting by the supporting cast came across as really hammy. Whether this was the fault of the cheesy dialogue, the actors themselves, or the director asking them to make it more obvious, I don't know.

Example: Churchill breathing a sigh of relief when hearing a normal air raid is over. Why would he do this, except to explain that air raids are a bad thing to the viewers?

Worst example of this: that Air Raid Warden bloke shaking his fist at Hitler.

Matt Smith wasn't merely too Tennant-y in this episode (although he was that): he actually seemed a bit uncertain in the role. It was really noticeable after his ace performances in the last two episodes. Learning that they shot this one before explains it.

Not so good. It's hard to make a good Dalek episode, it seems, although this one didn't end with them being wiped out utterly and permanently for the eight millionth time since the show came back.

I did like the industrial design of the British Dalek, that propaganda poster, and the "WOULD YOU LIKE A CUP OF TEA?" bit, but it was just too predictable to bother watching. Even the dialogue was more or less functional.

The best thing about this episode is it's the first sign that there may be a real intent to undo or retcon the worst excesses of RTD's run. We've now got a rebooted race of Daleks that are no longer "the last Daleks ever! Oh no, wait, one ship escaped! Now we're really the last Daleks ever, we mean it this time" over and over again.

Also, I'm really hoping that the fact Amy doesn't know about the big invasions of Earth means that they've been wiped out of history somehow, presumably something to do with her crack. It'd be good to get Who realigned with the real world.

Now if they can also retcon the terrible new Cybermen, then I'd be very happy indeed.

that was really quite bad.

Wasn't just me then?

Half of the Doctors screen time seemed to be a joke about a biscuit.

Poor all round, he doesn't seem to have the presence of either of the last two.

I did like that the 'worst' that the Daleks could do was turn on the lights of London so the Germans could bomb it. A real few notches down from the 'whole world in imminent peril' stuff that RTD came up with, but still a credible threat.

Then a few minutes later the Dr was having to stop them splitting the whole world in two. :lol: