Doctor Who

FishyFish

What do you get if you cross a

bad guy regeneration machine

with a spot of brekkie?

26796_401030417640_556142640_3811520_4642077_n.jpg

And on the cracks... My mind keeps going back to the 3d advert from before the series started with that weird and not particularly convincing head that came out of the cracks that exploded outwards. Dunno what I think about that (it wasn't a classic seeming bad guy but hey, at least it's better than the best of the last bunch).

It's a set up for a Dalek finale, either at the end of this series or the next. Mark my words.

Nah I think its main purpose is to let the Daleks back as an enemy that don't have to be on the back foot forever. Ever since the 2005 series, we've had 'the last Daleks in existence' trying to survive/rebuild. Now they've actually managed it.

Okay, here we go.

1. I do like the new title sequence oddly. It reminds me of the time-travelling scene in Flight of the Navigator and screams "right, no more bullshit".

2. I just realised that the new lass is supposed to be a little like Ace, or at least I think so. Less in your face, but someone who CAN go off and sort stuff out with their own take that the Doctor might not relate to, and a lot of attitude.

3. Therefore, they should get Ace for an ep or two! It'd be great.

4. The cracks in time are interesting. If this were the crap old show, they'd be being caused by the same Daleks that just escaped. Now, I'm not so sure, but it would be really interesting if it turned out that Amy was Prisoner Zero from ep one all along, but maybe she didn't know it. Hense the same cracks from ep one not closing and these ones expanding.

5. Just as I told my brother, I knew this episode was basically a "clean-up" job to erase all the rubbish dalek stuff from 2005 onward. Get the "real" Daleks back to how they were and send them off to show up again another time, hopefully no sooner than 2014.

6. I've been wondering if I like it just because it ISN'T written by General Poofter. But no, I think I do. The jammie dodger bit went on a bit too long and the Space Spitfires made me cringe a little, but it was good and I didn't guess the ending! If it was the old series, the robot scientist man would have sacrificed himself to save everyone - he would have gone with the Doctor into the Dalek ship, and the Doctor would have gone to the Dalek engine room and would have been about to blow up the ship, killing himself in the process, and that's when the scientist bloke would have gone "let me have a go, I'm only a machine", and the Doctor would have been all NO, I CAN'T LET YOU but he'd have been persuaded, and he'd have looked at the scientist bloke and gone, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry", before heading back to the war rooms in the Tardis.

7. WOULD YOU CARE FOR SOME TEEEEEEEEEEEEA!? ;)

Although the two parter at the end of the Tennant series' had them in as a conquering army, just a really rubbish one that wasted opportunities and Davros.

I do like the idea that they can be tough, sneaky and regenerated though, but I miss Davros being at the helm. Hope he makes a return next series. I do wonder if they brought the Daleks back this early in the series to say 'here they are now it's time for different stuff'. Hope so. I hated the idea that they could be so overused they stopped being popular. Ditto the Cybermen, although replace the word overused with the word crap. I'd like them to make a return in Moffatt's hands to give them a chance of being something other than a groovy design wrapped around a rubbish script.

Why did the Daleks get redesigned so they had hideously big hunchbacks?

I did quite like this episode though, just because the Daleks were brought back because of the Doctor, and not through the Doctor killing them all, but then having some amazing technology that allows them to survive.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/14/the...e-fifth-season/

Moffat wouldn't just throw a few bad wolf style cracks at us. As someone said. They're too obvious. We've had the subtle clues in the first two episodes. Tonight with Amy and her memory was the first overt clue to the real backstory running through this series.

I believe the final two parter is the Roman story. Which would make a nice change from the RTD series closers.

Given how many times "I am the Doctor and you are the Daaaaaaleks" was repeated within the episode, it's not surprising that it was the line that got leaked! ;)

I don't think it's supposed to a cryptic red herring or anything though, not like 'Bad Wolf' was or any its wonky follow-ups. The problem with the previous efforts was that they were trying to be subtle but were in fact blatant as fuck, just sticking random words into sentences that stuck out like a sore thumb. With the cracks they're not trying to hide it, it's more of a clear and ominous build-up to where the story is heading.

I thought the "Bad Wolf" phrase in series 1 worked very well: its resolution wasn't that satisfying, but the buildup was really good. The first few mentions were fairly subtle - mentioned in passing, or only visible in background posters or grafitti (or - *checks Wikipedia* - in Welsh or German). Also, it was the first series, and at the time I'd assumed the format would be "monster of the week" rather than there being a background arc building up towards the finale, so I wasn't looking out for that series' key phrase like I was afterwards.

The mentions of "Torchwood" throughout series 2 didn't really work: I think the Torchwood TV series had already been announced, the first series made us wise to those clue phrases, and the mentions themselves were far more blatant (Queen Victoria dedicated a whole speech to spelling it out in "Tooth and Claw"!). "Vote Saxon" in series 3 was OK. And the disappearing bees in series 4 turned out to be pretty irrelevant.

I quite liked it. Even if it was quite naff in parts, it was also fairly clever, with some nice touches. However, I didn't appreciate a second ending in a row that was essentially "love will save the day!". Last week it was the Star Whale loves kids, this week it was remember someone you once fancied to defuse a bomb inside yourself. It's just lazy plotting and barely concealed deus ex machina.

It might just be me. But either way I'm going to be furious if next weeks ends by cheering up the Weeping Angels with a pat on the back and a nice cup of tea.

ALSO I JUST REALISED: that robot man who got built by the Daleks. They made it out that he would have a great life as the doctor was going to 'set him free' to find Dorabella. BUT, since he was made by the Daleks, if he does find Dorabella, she'll just be like, 'who the fuck are you and why are you wearing a leather glove'

Also, when the Doctor said at first, i'll be 10 minutes, then Amy interrupted by saying 15 minutes, I genuinelly thought that Amy was going to have sex with him, cos the line 'he'll be 'so deactivated it'll be like hes never been activated before' fits ;)

she looked stunning this episode.

The little bit of sexual chemistry between Matt Smith and Karen Gillan is one of the best things about it, even if Karen Gillan is a bit moody most of the time.

I like the cracks. Gives you something to speculate over. It's what fun sci-fi should be for sure!

As I feared the single episode format killed what was potentially an excellent story. It just felt far too rushed. If it was a two parter they could have played up on the subservient Dalek angle a lot more with the Doctor desperately trying to prove how dangerous they really are and then they could have ended the first episode with the reveal of the new Daleks.

Would have made a good cliff hanger.

As it was it was a bit of a mess. The spitfire sequence was just too short and a little silly.

And the deactivation of the bomb through the emotion of unrequited love was ;) It would have been more interesting if they had to switch Bracewell off (essentially killing him), despite him feeling very real human emotions like fear.

Perhaps that would have been a little too dark for the show though.

However I actually like the new Dalek design, very reminiscent of the 60's Daleks and their bigger size does make them more menacing. I really like their eye stalk too. Very dissapointed with this episode.

At first i thought, ooh lok grey, then red and that was cool. Then the rest of the rainbow daleks appeared.

Why the fuck would you do that?

You know, are they all going to go to the "moons of primary colours" in camaflage. Its nonsense.

Theres fantasy and love and starwhales

And theres fantasy and love fucking rainbow daleks.

Also the doctor keeps failing - its his assistant that keeps saving the planet with this love thing.

Theres also no maturity in this doctor. You can't look up to him as someone who's more intellegent unlike the likes of Pertwee or even Baker.

I thought it was alright. It was definitely rushed to fit the 45 minutes, but I quite liked it. I think Gatiss's writing style is more in line with RTD than Moffatt, which really shows after two episodes. Still though, weeping angels next week!

I thought it was alright. It was definitely rushed to fit the 45 minutes

So often seems to be the way with the show. For me the majority of the two parters have been stretched out, but there've been a lot of single episodes that feel rushed.

The episode wasn't great, but the new Daleks are growing on me, especially after watching Confidential. The really do make the old ones look quite puny.

Robbie Nekoda called it, and then Gatiss said as much in Confidential - the whole point of the episode was to wipe the slate clean and reboot the Daleks. In that respect I think a standard 1 episode story was sufficient to do that.

Loved the Jammy Dodger!

Oooh that conspiracy link is very interesting...

If Amy is from the 90s etc though, surely The Doctor should know that he landed in 199x and should be well aware she doesn't know about the Daleks, right?

Or.. maybe The Doctor has no clue which year he landed in... maybe that's why he kept stuffing it up and five minutes became 12 years, then 2...

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey...