Doctor Who

FishyFish

Aha, flares.

I want continuity errors. CURSES.

It's of no real consequence and it wasn't a plot continuity error but I did spot a very minor visual continuity error.

When the young boy gets in the vator near the begining of the episode and the floor opens up, the smiler can already be seen with teeth exposed in that frame. Cut to the smiler and it rotates to the teeth bared face 'cliffhanger', cue credits and opening music. I have too much time on hands...

Is it just me or does the new series seem a lot more grown-up than previous ones? The actual filming, writing, acting - everything seems to have stepped up a level.

I'm not sure I agree.

In the first episode, that whole eating food spitting it out thing, I thought they were taking it much more in the direction of children's TV. It did then pick up a bit from there, but I do find Matt Smith a lot more "children's TV" than Tennant (and certainly then Ecclestone).

Also, Matt Smith's face really bugs me; and how old is he anyway? He's like a 60 year old, in a 40 year old's body (and weird face), trying to act like a ten year old pretending he's 14.

I'm not sold on him yet. However, just the lack of Catherine Tate makes this series already infinitely better than the previous.

also when did she have the time to record herself a message anyway. Perhaps it's one of those things that will become Important Later On.

During the twenty minutes between her entering the booth and her pressing the "Forget" button? There was a big "Record" button there for just that purpose, presumably to explain to yourself that it really was for the best that you pressed "Forget".

also when did she have the time to record herself a message anyway. Perhaps it's one of those things that will become Important Later On.

Or perhaps it's a bit of throwaway plot that fat bearded internet nerds are obsessing over.

I assume it was right after watching the info video and before pressing forget. There was that big record button in between the protest and forget buttons.

A couple of people have questioned why you'd have a record button, I assume it is so that once you've decided to forget you can record yourself a message to say "Look, you did press forget, don't worry about why just know that it was the right decision to make. Now piss off."

I'm not sure I agree.

In the first episode, that whole eating food spitting it out thing, I thought they were taking it much more in the direction of children's TV. It did then pick up a bit from there, but I do find Matt Smith a lot more "children's TV" than Tennant (and certainly then Ecclestone).

Also, Matt Smith's face really bugs me; and how old is he anyway? He's like a 60 year old, in a 40 year old's body (and weird face), trying to act like a ten year old pretending he's 14.

I'm not sold on him yet. However, just the lack of Catherine Tate makes this series already infinitely better than the previous.

My word, I could not agree less. There is nothing "Children's TV" about Matt Smith, unless you mean world class superb Children's TV, which I suppose Dr Who is.

And Catherine Tate was arguably the most interesting companion of Tennant's run.

My word, I could not agree less. There is nothing "Children's TV" about Matt Smith, unless you mean world class superb Children's TV, which I suppose Dr Who is.

I find it hard to explain why I think Matt Smith is more children's TV than Tennat or Ecclestone, but I really do very strongly think he is much more children's TV than them. He's just not remotely edgy seeming. I guess maybe it's that I could imagine the previous two having sex, but can't at all imagine that for Smith.

Nah, he's much more like a character for children than either of the previous two Doctors. I don't even imagine he swears.

And Catherine Tate was arguably the most interesting companion of Tennant's run.

I can see it could be argued that she was the most interesting. She was however seriously fucking annoying, and slipped into her sketch-show characters at the drop of a hat. I'll take un-interesting over very fucking annoying, any day.

I find it hard to explain why I think Matt Smith is more children's TV than Tennat or Ecclestone, but I really do very strongly think he is much more children's TV than them. He's just not remotely edgy seeming. I guess maybe it's that I could imagine the previous two having sex, but can't at all imagine that for Smith.

Which do you think would go on top? I reckon it has to be Ecclestone, really.

I guess maybe it's that I could imagine the previous two having sex, but can't at all imagine that for Smith.

That's a really, really good think for the character IMO, who should always be above that sort of thing.

As for edgy - I dunno, I think he's already showing some darker tendencies. He certainly seems less predictable than Tennant. The way he turned on Amy was quite sharp, and enjoyably so. You could see the Alien come to the fore, something that hasn't really been demonstrated by any Doctor since Tom Baker.

I appreciate that he acts like an overcaffienated substitute teacher, which is how I tend to remember The Doctor, rather than a rage-fuelled time-travelling demi-God who JUST CAN'T STOP SHOUTING WITH HIS LIPS PULLED BACK SO YOU CAN SEE HIS GUMS.

I also like that he kind of brushed off the Time War and Family Members relatively briefly instead of staring teary eyed into the distance and bellowing "I'm a Time Lord, I watched the Metabollock Cathedrals of Sphincteranus XII burn in a fiery fire of burning fire as the darkness fell. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry!!!!!" while Murray Gold frantically hammers the FEEL SAD button his Casio keyboard before snapping back to "You Hyuuu-mans, with your sausage and mash and your Ant and Dec and your iPads, BRILLIANT!!!!!"

I also like that he kind of brushed off the Time War and Family Members relatively briefly instead of staring teary eyed into the distance and bellowing "I'm a Time Lord, I watched the Metabollock Cathedrals of Sphincteranus XII burn in a fiery fire of burning fire as the darkness fell. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry!!!!!" while Murray Gold frantically hammers the FEEL SAD button his Casio keyboard before snapping back to "You Hyuuu-mans, with your sausage and mash and your Ant and Dec and your iPads, BRILLIANT!!!!!"

:) Perfectly summed up. I agree.

Indeed, when this Doctor gets melancholy about something, he gets sad and introspective and irrational. Like an actual person, and not a deranged stock character.

:):angry::omg:

Doctor Who always has an element of being written for children; the difference with this series is that it's more like Roald Dahl than the Teletubbies approach that RTD's series took with all the farting and whatnot.

Yeah, now we just have spitting out food in a number of "comedy" manners instead. Yeah, much more sophisticated.

That's a really, really good think for the character IMO, who should always be above that sort of thing.

Yeah, though they then went on and made very obvious allusions about him having sex with a British Monarch (though, obviously it would have been in a previous guise).

I appreciate that he acts like an overcaffienated substitute teacher

Yeah, this.

His character is much more like a balmy scientist from a children's TV program than the last two. There's a certain wackiness to him, which I'm sure isn't entirely down to his looks. He doesn't have any of the cool of the previous two doctors.

I definitely agree though that he is more like the Doctors of yesteryear, and this is a good thing. Although, he also seems a bit like someone far too young pretending to be like one of the Doctors of yesteryear (though looking strangely old at the same time too).

The big question about Apple's leak control in my mind is whether Steve Jobs wears the same black turtleneck jumper and blue jeans all the time, or whether he has many identical copies of the same outfit.

[insert joke about "leak control" and wearing the same jeans all the time here].

Looks like change for the sake of it to me. They look a bit plasticky.

I only looked at the first two at first and thought they were renders. Though maybe the political colour changing (really not sure about that at all) added to that effect.

Yeah, though they then went on and made very obvious allusions about him having sex with a British Monarch (though, obviously it would have been in a previous guise).

That was a reference to David Tennant's Doc having sex with 'Good Queen Bess' in the Shakespeare episode