Doctor Who

FishyFish

It’s hardly a spoiler if the programme makers WANT you to know that the next episode involves daleks. I mean, it’s clearly not supposed to be a surprise – which in itself could be a good thing, as it means the episode can cut straight to the red-hot dalek action, rather than do an RTD and pad out the first episode with fluff, leading up to a cliffhanger ending where the daleks are revealed, and then hurriedly and awkwardly wrap everything up in the remaining 45 minutes.

Yes, I hope it plays out that way. Perhaps Moffat agress with how ridiculous it is that the BBC had spoilers for everything, and then RTD still tried to make it suspenseful all episode, even though everyone knew exactly what was going to be revealed.

I sincerely hope that this is the case, and it is just going to cut straight to the case. However, the Doctor doesn't know it's the Daleks, so there is still the possibility that it will play out in an RTD manner, and as I say, if it still plays out that way, I will go mental.

The episode is called 'Victory of the Daleks' so it'll be right up there in the credits at the start of the programme, somehow I doubt anyone is going to be on the edge of their seats wondering who the monsters will turn out to be.

The first 5 mins of the programme will probably go something like this:

Doctor: Hello I'm the Doctor, Geronimo, look at Amy's crack.

Churchill: Check out our new weapon Doctor

Dalek: I AM A DALEK!

Doctor: :)

/credits

It's so cringeworthy. It's a rubbish pun based on a modern colloquialism and she's supposed to be the fricking queen! Of the future!

Admitedly, I did smirk. While cringing.

That's more like it. It was delivered totally tongue in cheek.

The episode is called 'Victory of the Daleks' so it'll be right up there in the credits at the start of the programme, somehow I doubt anyone is going to be on the edge of their seats wondering who the monsters will turn out to be.

I've always avoided the episode title, as in the RTD days even that would give something away that was then concealed for most of the episode. Same for keeping it on mute to avoid the announcer's spoilers just before the programme starts. It's a hard life being as spoiler averse as me, but it makes the actual TV programmes a lot more enjoyable.

Really enjoyed The Beast Below; it was like The Long Game meets BioShock. The smilers were excellent, although I don't think there was any need to make those chaps in the dark hoods half smiler half human.

"Nobody human has anything to say to me today!"

Great line. Top stuff.

What was the point of Amy Pond's recorded warning to herself? Was the terrible thing the Doctor was going to do kill off the last space whale?..

That's the obvious answer though perhaps it could have a deeper meaning, to do with the crack?

What was the point of Amy Pond's recorded warning to herself? Was the terrible thing the Doctor was going to do kill off the last space whale?..

I think it was that he'd be forced to make the choice between kill all humans or kill last space whale.

That's the obvious answer though perhaps it could have a deeper meaning, to do with the crack?

It was so he didn't have to decide between killing something that was the last of its kind and killing all the humans. I think we're meant to assume she recorded it before she was 'gassed' to forget - a bit like the Queen with her message.

I think it was that he'd be forced to make the choice between kill all humans or kill last space whale.

That was the bit I didn't get, it was kill all British people (excluding the Scots), or kill the last Space whale.

Surely he should have gone with kill the Brits.

I wonder if the Doctor sent the whale through the crack, knowing the ship was harbouring some of the last of mankind. Kind of giving them a chance. Else why would the StarWhale appear seemingly at random. It must have been sent through the crack (which i suspect the doctor already knows exists from a mission he'd done in the past but we've not seen).

That assumes he knows what a Starwhale can do, and sent one through - technically voiding the crying children story.

Also, AFAIK, its annoyingly not explained why the ship had no engines. The cables were cut, but that could have been done once the whale was captured.

*edit*

Oh and (FAO Birmingham) them red benches were used on various railway stations BTW...we have them during the Network South East days....many of them have been replaced now.

And late 80s Tescos.

As regards RTD's contribution to really good episodes, there's a pretty simple explanation as to why those eps turned out well, imo. Namely that a writer who can "do" plot turned in the first/second drafts, and RTD then textured up the eps with some great character moments. So RTD did a lot with them to add his own spin and have a big effect on the finished eps, but that plot structure - the thing he can't do very well - was already there before he made his changes. That's my theory, anyway.

Yep.

But yeah, the show's fucking MILES better. And Matt Smith's performance is simply amazing. But watch the ratings drop as the smarts continue. I fear it's going to happen.

I suspect it'll pick up to the 7 million overnights again next week. I think any drop this week was a combo of hot weather/FA Cup/Harry Potter.

As bad as things got on the British Ship can you imagine the horrors of Starship Scotland.

That's one thing I missed. Did Starship Scotland have their own space whale (being as this was the last... I don't think so)? I know they "went their own way" but I don't think it was explained, unless that was it?

That's one thing I missed. Did Starship Scotland have their own space whale (being as this was the last... I don't think so)? I know they "went their own way" but I don't think it was explained, unless that was it?

Not really, just that they'd buggered off before the rest of the UK got its shit together. So the assumption is they either built their own ship or nipped onto someone elses.

I think it was a disposable joke at Scottish Independence's expense, I wouldn't read too much into it. They probably crashed into an asteroid or something after five minutes.

I got the impression that the rest of the Earth managed to build themselves nice proper spaceships and blasted off but the UK government probably outsourced it to the same kind of people they went to for the NHS database and had to use the Space Whale when it inevitably wasn't finished by the deadline.

Is it just me or does the new series seem a lot more grown-up than previous ones? The actual filming, writing, acting - everything seems to have stepped up a level.

No, that's wrong. The CGI and theme tune have gone back quite a few levels. I can't see that theme tune ever growing on me. I was really hoping Moffat would take it back to the original with a big Doctors head in the credits.

And has the hat stand been in every TARDIS interior now?