Doctor Who

FishyFish

Generally, if people like it, that means the ratings will stay high (obviously). Of course, what it's scheduled against, and the time of year (e.g. sunny days = lower ratings) impact the number of viewers too.

The Appreciation Index (the measure of how much the viewers liked it) for the first episode is promising; I don't think the figure for the latest episode has been released yet, but it will be interesting to see what the public thought about it.

Link (with comparisons to other shows and the AI previous Doctor Who episodes):

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010...at-ratings.html

Ratings are given out on sundays around 10 am normally. Theres usually a thread over on gallifreybase where it gets reported. It

did :-

1 …. 6.7 * (34.0%) …. Doctor Who (18:15) BBC One (6.4 + 0.3 HD)

Which doesn't look good until the rest turn up :-

2 …. 5.9 (25.8%) …. The National Lottery: Who Dares Wins (20:15) BBC One

3 …. 5.7 (25.7%) …. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (19:00) ITV 1

4 …. 5.7 (24.2%) …. Casualty (21:00) BBC One

5 …. 5.5 * (26.0%) …. Over the Rainbow (19:00) BBC One (5.4 + 0.1 HD)

6 …. 4.9 (22.4%) …. BBC News (21:45) BBC One

7 …. 4.0 (26.2%) …. Total Wipeout (17:15) BBC One

8 …. 3.8 (27.5%) …. BBC News / Regional News and Weather (17:00) BBC One

9 …. 3.2 (20.2%) …. ITV News & Weather / FA Cup Live: Aston Villa v Chelsea (16:30) ITV 1

and puts it in perspective. Which considering earlier start time AND sunny weather is pretty damn impressive.

Cheers

Thanks Hexx. So there is no transition episode from the previous to the new doctor?

The end of the last special at new year had David Tennant whinge about renegerating and then regenerate. Then 30 seconds of the Tardis exploding and Matt Smith being thankful he's still not ginger and shouting "GERONIMO".

The first episode of the new series continues directly on from there. What I've told you is more than you need to know :(

I just watched Army of Ghosts/Doomsday again.

In fairness, it's not just the new season's special effects that are bad. It probably is because of the step up to HD so we expect more but watching Doomsday... the 'sphere' thing the daleks come out of was just SO ridiculous!

But watch the ratings drop as the smarts continue. I fear it's going to happen.

This is my worry too but thanks for clarification in same post... Surely the Beeb will be happy with long standing quality over drek instant porridge hits.

I hope that the whole 'cracks in space and time' theme is somehow resolved with amy pond sloooooowly pending over and exposing her massive vagina for all to see, in glorious high definition.

Thats nearly what happens.

She exposes herself, then Eric Idle walks out of her said vagina singing the Galaxy song and talking about the doctor moving at a million billion miles per second (so its reckoned).

At the end theres Daleks and Cyberman and all the doctors enemies are all floating around space singing the chorus before everything in existance get sucked into amy's gaping vagina and the doctor finally dies forever.

That was a good episode, but it felt like it should have come further in the series. The whole parallel between the whale and the doctor, the way Amy seemed to know him really well, the hug and the "Gotcha!" all seemed to pertain to a relationship that had been going on for a while rather than something that had just started.

Watched it a couple of times now.

Overall: excellent. There was so much excellent stuff in it. Maybe a bit too much? Like others have said, this felt like it needed an hour or so to be told properly. Never mind though, I was still beaming after it. Roll on next week.

That was a good episode, but it felt like it should have come further in the series. The whole parallel between the whale and the doctor, the way Amy seemed to know him really well, the hug and the "Gotcha!" all seemed to pertain to a relationship that had been going on for a while rather than something that had just started.

Well, I suppose it has for Amy.

What the fuck was last nights epi all about? Worst ending ever. It was all fine until that ending. I could live with all the real/space thing (or rather "we're running outta cash here guys").

Actually reminded me of Starglider 2 without giving to much away but the winding up of the thing was just wrong.

Surely they could have come up with something better?

I mean,

do whales actually react to crying children?

because i didn't think they did.

I mean just imagine.... real life.. on earth.....some poor child

is crying on a boat and a fucking Orca - in his twilight years - jumps on the thing trying to help the kid and doing one last good thing,

...thus....totally destroying the boat and killing the said child.

NEWSFLASH: Police Boxes aren't time machines either. :)

I've been the worst enemy of Who (well, second worst enemy after Davies, lol) and but these eps were good bordering on great, especially the last one. ;)

Interesting reaction from some of my kids to the trailer at the end of this week's episode. As soon as the Daleks appeared the boys (just turned seven) both went "Dalekssss! Yessss!" as you can imagine. The ten year old girl didn't say anything until the line about "the Daleks will be reborn" (or whatever) to which she drawled "again..."

So either she's rapidly becoming a teenager or RTD's habit of repeatedly wiping them out and resurrecting them has desensitised her to the Daleks. Or both.

Well, I suppose it has for Amy.

Not really. She's only had as much actual time with the Doctor as we have seen her have. How could she have learnt he was the last of his kind and all the rest of the stuff she was alluding to in that speech when the actual time they've been together is pretty short?

Interesting reaction from some of my kids to the trailer at the end of this week's episode. As soon as the Daleks appeared the boys (just turned seven) both went "Dalekssss! Yessss!" as you can imagine. The ten year old girl didn't say anything until the line about "the Daleks will be reborn" (or whatever) to which she drawled "again..."

So either she's rapidly becoming a teenager or RTD's habit of repeatedly wiping them out and resurrecting them has desensitised her to the Daleks. Or both.

I had the exact same reaction to that line as your ten year old. Nice to see a new generation as cynical as us on Rllmuk. :)

Jesus, they even seem to be throwing spoilers into the last scene of the episode now. The BBC seems determined to remove any sense of suspense from Doctor Who, with their absolutely unstoppable amount of spoilers.

They seemed to have about 15 minutes of spoilers after last weeks episode, every time I flicked back to see if they had finished they were still going on, were they giving away every villain/monster/alien the Doctor will come up against this series?

The biggest annoyance of it is then that about three quarters of every episode is played out as a supposedly suspenseful "who could the baddy be" storyline, when they've spent the entire previous week trying to show us just who/what it is.

If they do this next week, after having shown us before the episode even ended, I will go flipping mental.

Is it really the case that:

A) The British public is so fucking think that they won't watch a TV program unless they know what is going to happen?

B) The BBC is so afraid that the above is the true that they can't risk not spoiling it? "Shit, Doctor Who is massively unpopular, nobody would possibly watch it if we didn't show them there are going to be

Daleks

in the next episode".

Also,

either kill off the Daleks for good, or stop pretending to kill them off every fucking series just to have them back again in the next one. It's worse than Heroes for completely removing any sense of permanency to death.

Oh, and one other thing, going back to the BBC's love of spoilers, it's was so massively annoying in the last several David Tennant episodes where every one of them had a "ooh, is the Doctor actually going to die/re-generate in this one?" bit. No, no he's fucking not, because if he was then we would have known about it in advance, because you would have had it on the front of every TV listings magazine, talked about on Breakfast endlessly, and spoiled in just about every other way possible.

Dear BBC, next time it happens, MAKE IT A FUCKING SURPRISE!!!! In fact, if the next time the Doctor regenerates the timing of it, and the identity of the new Doctor, are a surprise, I will go out and buy 5 extra TV licences to show my gratitude.

"Basically, I rule" was a terrible, terrible line.

Why?

I loved the episode and Matt Smith is just fabulous. He gets that whole 'kooky' thing just absolutely spot on, his speech, mannerisms, everything. I thought the story was great and I didn't guess the ending, had me gripped throughout.

it's almost impossible to keep Dr Who underwraps. Plot elements get leaked all the time - and the press love to give away the scoop, or, more accurately - spoil it.

Why?

I loved the episode and Matt Smith is just fabulous. He gets that whole 'kooky' thing just absolutely spot on, his speech, mannerisms, everything. I thought the story was great and I didn't guess the ending, had me gripped throughout.

although he's so young - he really does come over as much older than DT's doctor.

Dear BBC, next time it happens, MAKE IT A FUCKING SURPRISE!!!! In fact, if the next time the Doctor regenerates the timing of it, and the identity of the new Doctor, are a surprise, I will go out and buy 5 extra TV licences to show my gratitude.

I agree, but I don't think it's possible these days. Back in 1982 all John Nathan-Turner had to do was tell the Radio Times not to mention the Cybermen and BAM! total surprise at the end of episode 1 of Earthshock. These days it would get out somehow.

I was fully expecting "GERONIMO!" to grate, but it somehow doesn't.

Jesus, they even seem to be throwing spoilers into the last scene of the episode now. The BBC seems determined to remove any sense of suspense from Doctor Who, with their absolutely unstoppable amount of spoilers.

They seemed to have about 15 minutes of spoilers after last weeks episode, every time I flicked back to see if they had finished they were still going on, were they giving away every villain/monster/alien the Doctor will come up against this series?

It’s hardly a spoiler if the programme makers WANT you to know that the next episode involves daleks. I mean, it’s clearly not supposed to be a surprise – which in itself could be a good thing, as it means the episode can cut straight to the red-hot dalek action, rather than do an RTD and pad out the first episode with fluff, leading up to a cliffhanger ending where the daleks are revealed, and then hurriedly and awkwardly wrap everything up in the remaining 45 minutes.

I agree, but I don't think it's possible these days. Back in 1982 all John Nathan-Turner had to do was tell the Radio Times not to mention the Cybermen and BAM! total surprise at the end of episode 1 of Earthshock. These days it would get out somehow.

There's a difference between it getting out, and the BBC ramming it down our throats.

Did it get out who killed Archie in EastEnders? OK, I'm not suggesting they do a live Doctor Who, but I was refreshingly pleased to see the BBC not just trying to keep something under wraps, but also managing it.

Also, they should have a word with Steve about how he does it. There's seemingly no information that leaks out of Apple without his say-so.