Doctor Who

FishyFish

I wonder if the Doctor sent the whale through the crack, knowing the ship was harbouring some of the last of mankind. Kind of giving them a chance. Else why would the StarWhale appear seemingly at random. It must have been sent through the crack (which i suspect the doctor already knows exists from a mission he'd done in the past but we've not seen).

That assumes he knows what a Starwhale can do, and sent one through - technically voiding the crying children story.

Also, AFAIK, its annoyingly not explained why the ship had no engines. The cables were cut, but that could have been done once the whale was captured.

*edit*

Oh and (FAO Birmingham) them red benches were used on various railway stations BTW...we have them during the Network South East days....many of them have been replaced now.

Also, AFAIK, its annoyingly not explained why the ship had no engines. The cables were cut, but that could have been done once the whale was captured.

The cables and all that were only ever there as decoration. There never were any engines since they built the entire thing around the space whale. This was explained in the episdoe.

Ooooh. I didn't realise that (i was playing with my new DS whilst watching last night).

Must pay more attention!

Next weeks episode looks pretty damn exciting though - also the Daleks used look pretty old skool which was nice to see and introduces some intresting theories.

He said the opposite - that Moffat's work was the only one he never changed.

really? I've not read the book so can't say but I thought someone on this thread said that rtd had said something along the lines of 'noone gives me credit for the work I did on moffat's scripts'. Happy to be wrong - it seemed a very self centred comment - but made me wonder regardless.

Well that was sublime I thought. Felt like a classic who episode.

Yeah, it did feel a lot like a classic series story - at least until the resolution, which felt, to me, more fairy-tale, which I think is what Moffat is going for with Amy Pond.

Yeah, it did feel a lot like a classic series story - at least until the resolution, which felt, to me, more fairy-tale, which I think is what Moffat is going for with Amy Pond.

He said more or less precisely this on last night's Confidential.

really? I've not read the book so can't say but I thought someone on this thread said that rtd had said something along the lines of 'noone gives me credit for the work I did on moffat's scripts'. Happy to be wrong - it seemed a very self centred comment - but made me wonder regardless.

No, he was specifically complaining about the work he did on Paul Cornell's "Human Nature" episodes. People after that were all 'this guy is so much better, why can't he be showrunner?', which RTD was upset by because he wrote the majority of what went out under Cornell's name.

In the book there's a comparison of the first few pages of James Moran's Pompei episode, in the final draft form he handed to RTD after four or five goes, with the script as RTD made it - not a single line is the same! He apparently re-writes nearly every episode to that extent, except for Chris Chibnall's and Moffat's.

*Raises hand*

I said that, but it wasn't about Moffat - it was about RTD doing loads of work on the very popular Human Nature/Family of Blood eps in uncredited rewrites, and saying (I loosely paraphrase) "I wish the fans who complain about me all the time knew how much I did on those episodes". Moffat wasn't involved in them.

RTD's great strength is character, but he's pretty bad at plotting (he even admits to throwing together solutions out of nowhere in the new version of The Writer's Tale). Now, I'm a massive fan of proper plotting and packing in lots of ideas and snappy, clever dialogue, so it's no surprise that I'm liking this season of Who a real bloody lot so far. It's like it's my show now, much more than it was under RTD. I was going to get a spec together anyway, but I really, really want to do it now that I know how Moffat sees the programme.

As regards RTD's contribution to really good episodes, there's a pretty simple explanation as to why those eps turned out well, imo. Namely that a writer who can "do" plot turned in the first/second drafts, and RTD then textured up the eps with some great character moments. So RTD did a lot with them to add his own spin and have a big effect on the finished eps, but that plot structure - the thing he can't do very well - was already there before he made his changes. That's my theory, anyway.

But yeah, the show's fucking MILES better. And Matt Smith's performance is simply amazing. But watch the ratings drop as the smarts continue. I fear it's going to happen.

What i liked about this episode was that I could see it as a Tennant Ep and how different Matt's performance is. It's not that's it's better or worse, just refreshingly different. I particularly liked how he handled being "the last of the Timelords" in comparison to Tennant's brooding.

Aside from that, the ep was enjoyable but had too much going on and hit you over the head with the spacewhale / doctor comparison. It really didn't need repeating. I'm just hoping that Moffat's achilles heel won't be having too many ideas and trying to pack them all in.

But watch the ratings drop as the smarts continue. I fear it's going to happen.

Generally, if people like it, that means the ratings will stay high (obviously). Of course, what it's scheduled against, and the time of year (e.g. sunny days = lower ratings) impact the number of viewers too.

The Appreciation Index (the measure of how much the viewers liked it) for the first episode is promising; I don't think the figure for the latest episode has been released yet, but it will be interesting to see what the public thought about it.

Link (with comparisons to other shows and the AI previous Doctor Who episodes):

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010...at-ratings.html

It'll turn out that Davros is actually George Formby.

One thing that became very apparent after watching this week's Confidential was that Matt Smith has it really bad for Karen. Completely understandable of course :(

Yeah, there was a bit of that when he was on Jonathan Ross going on about her being a 10. I quite like it. Normally on these things the cast will go on about how they're like a big family and they're all best mates, but then Matt comes along being all "Look, she's a right hotty and I think we should acknowledge the fact that she's a hotty. I mean, have you seen her? Eh, I would. Know what I mean. Nudge nudge."