Doctor Who

FishyFish

just had another watch of bits of the new episode at lunch time... the 'Hello, I'm the Doctor' with the clips of his previous incarnations was *awesome*.

I like the new 'Dangerous Doctor' theme that plays through the trailer.

The impression I got about that scene was more the question he answered at the same time, did the Doctor tell a little white lie and the tardis caught it? He gave the box a 'look' just before he switched it off as well.

I just watched again, the new main characters were fantastic I though and hopefully they can keep it up. Bit premature maybe but I think Amy will be a better companion than Rose or Martha.

Not entirely difficult... Rose was really half way through series 2 where she started to grate. Bringing her back time and again was a mistake - they should've left it at series 2.

I do worry that she is going to be another one who falls in love with the doctor. Seeing as he obliviously has played a big part in her life.

I think episode 7 will show the Doctor-Companion relationship isn't quite as clear cut as they were under RTD. It is also quite nice that she has this bond with the Doctor throughout her life but she still can't totally trust him as he keeps letting her down.

The Eleventh Hour was the first Who episode I've ever watched more than once so I guess they must be doing something right.

I do worry that she is going to be another one who falls in love with the doctor. Seeing as he obliviously has played a big part in her life.

When the wedding dress appeared, I got the fear for a moment. I thought she would turn out to be a psycho stalker nutter who had been waiting all this time for The Doctor to marry him. Luckily, that was quickly dashed.

He can't write sci-fi for shit, though.

Not totally true.

Gridlock, Midnight, Utopia, The Parting of the Ways, Waters of Mars - all RTD highlights for me.

On the other side, plot elements in New Earth, Doomsday, and the series 3 & 4 finales suggest you have a point.

I think he gets wrapped up in the end result, which is often quite good, and then skips over just how to get there, which creates a mess. The series finales got progressively worse, really. Really didn't enjoy the Master's plan in the specials either. Then again, seeing the Time Lords again (with some brilliant CGI) kinda made it worth it, but - again - on the other side of the coin, they'd only just turned up again before they'd been gotten rid of.

So, yeah, sci-fi sci-fi isn't his strong point. But he can tell a good story, and the old series had some major, major highs under this lead - Human Nature/Family of Blood/Blink/Utopia is, in my view, the strongest run of episodes the show has ever had.

By the sounds of it, Series 5 could blow them out of the water, mind.

Did anyone else notice the "crack" in the sonar-type device just when Amy was asking why her?

In addition to the shot in the episode itself, in the "Tardis Tour" video on the website you can see that when the set designer shows off the monitor, the crack pattern stretches all across the screen (rather than just appearing on the oscilloscope bit):

tardistourmonitor.jpg

and the old series had some major, major highs under this lead - Human Nature/Family of Blood/Blink/Utopia is, in my view, the strongest run of episodes the show has ever had.

Human Nature. Written by Paul Cornell based on a book written by Paul Cornell :P The scene at the end where he deals with the family is total unadulterated NA 7th Doctor.

Human Nature. Written by Paul Cornell based on a book written by Paul Cornell :P The scene at the end where he deals with the family is total unadulterated NA 7th Doctor.

ah my fave dr ever. The manipulating bastard that was the NA 7th dr. So vile a sin what a book.

Anyway just watched 11th hr again and even the other half sat through it and loved it the second time around as well.

"Basically run" and "new tardis got excited" made me smile. Nice nod to cocky dr as well with the finger click.

It's been bugging me but the beginning of the show with the eating something scenes reminds me for all the world of a kids book... Snowman? Cat in the hat? Was it a nod to something? Not a problem if it was, it's just nagging at the corner of my mind...

Also: Moffat totally destroyed RTD imo showing the past couple of series/last few specials up for the mess they were. Don't agree with the 'end result' comment really. What was the end result of the various Christmas specials, Water special etc. A flying bus? A miserable suicide? The most pathetically obvious Dr choice yet (there's a room split in half with two buttons. Only one person can leave at any one time... Wow. Master of subtlety there, I wonder what's going to happen next?) The one a week gay reference discussions was just the obvious tip of the iceberg to all of the cliches we became used to and accepted without asking for more.

Gridlock and Midnight were shows based around a corker of an idea which was then worked onto and into. Most of the other scripts were cookie cutter messes of 'add one mad mystic, add one big red button, add one chase scene on a sequeway' etc. And all the while painting the Doctor into various emotional corners with no escape. Obviously not as disastrous as old Who at its worst yet hardly worth the classic status that it claims to achieve on the strength of the last few series. 11th Hour had more building interest and sense of quality than any ep I can remember bar the occasional corkers and I can't wait for next week and the one after and so on. I'm even looking forward to the finale and I thought RTD had killed off that hope stone cold dead.

It's been bugging me but the beginning of the show with the eating something scenes reminds me for all the world of a kids book... Snowman? Cat in the hat? Was it a nod to something? Not a problem if it was, it's just nagging at the corner of my mind...

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss?

DT's series started to go down hill at series 4 - which I thought was generally mince.

Season 4 demonstrated why it was a good idea for people to move on; everyone on has a creative limit and after the highs of Season 3 it looked like RTD had mined his with regards to Who, bar the odd decent ep like Turn Left. But that is somewhat different from the Tennant hate going on. He dealt with some bloody awful material, but when he got a good script you got an excellent performance.

Fast forward four years and we'll have "fairy tale child like wee girl stories? What Again? Damn that Moffat!"

I think episode 7 will show the Doctor-Companion relationship isn't quite as clear cut as they were under RTD. It is also quite nice that she has this bond with the Doctor throughout her life but she still can't totally trust him as he keeps letting her down.

The Eleventh Hour was the first Who episode I've ever watched more than once so I guess they must be doing something right.

Sounds good. I've liked the Dr love interest before but its done now. I'd be interested in a new relationship to from.

How do you know what will happen in EP7?

watched it again tonight - just as great. Particularly the beginning and end. Sizing up to the alien was a classic scene.

So - who was she going to marry? The nurse guy or geoff? What's the significance of the crack... who caused it? What's going to come through it.

Brilliant.

I love the BBC