Doctor Who

FishyFish

The inside of the new tardis is great wonder if we will get a good look around the it and new assistant is great

on a side note i know this image is off a bbc tv show i have seen but can not remeber what it is called now

bpDOF.jpg

reckon the silence and the crack will be this seasons bad wolf or he will knock 3 times message that will run thought the series

I just watched Dr Who confidential for the first time in years because I was genuinely interested in how some of the decisions were made and fell completely in love with Matt Smith. Not in a gay way - but in a completely charmed sort of way. He seems like a really nice bloke and is humble and modest and really chuffed that he's doing this job.

I think he's going to be an excellent Doctor.

on a side note i know this image is off a bbc tv show i have seen but can not remeber what it is called now

The Kevin Bishop Show I think. Channel 4. They liked to stick her in school uniform and do a US style version of Grange Hill.

Finally watched it with family gathered around and it was all sorts of fun and all sorts of well done.

Echoing the majority view the visuals really were a step above. Specials used to be the part of the series which had a little bit more budget thrown at them - until the past few years when we've had really cheap as chips production values and ugly visuals covered up by explosions or mini-crowd scenes. This looked like a movie in comparison: the lighting was perfect, each set looked rich and deep and, apart from the space ships which didn't get as much attention placed on them, the ep screamed quality. I hope the rest of the series carries on with that attention to detail, it's a fashion I wouldn't mind seeing carried through :ph34r:

Also I thought the girl who played Amelia was excellent. Hugely talented and believable throughout all of her scenes. I hope we see her again through the series.

Two things that struck me. Smith's Doctor is in love with life again. His final lines to the Eyeball would have come from Tennant like the pronouncement of a vengeful god. Smith stands there looking like his limbs don't quite belong to him but it works just as well. Better even.

Secondly Karen Gillan is superb. Despite what Amy said to the Doctor it's obvious she didn't grow up. Half her lines to the Doctor are delivered in a childlike way.

The thing is not a lot has actually changed. Some lighting and directional changes but most of it is coming from attitude. RTD's Doctor despite Rose's influence never recovered from his damage. By making Smith just plain fun and Amy fresh and along for the ride Moffat can get away with keeping the show running on the same tracks as it has since the 2005 return. That's what people forget about Doctor Who. It always changes. Often while staying the same. If you get my meaning :ph34r:. Look at the pattern of episodes. Contempary intro. Future, past, mid season special. Moffat knows what works. The changes are subtle but combined are bigger than the sum of the parts.

I was getting really tired of the 10th Doctor being such a fucking misery guts. It's nice to get some lols back in the show :P

(disclaimer. 37 year old Doctor Who fan who's been watching since primary school. Addicted obsessive of the NDA/EDA book era while the show was cancelled. Can't now watch the classic series because it's rubbish)

Fear Hear is by far the worst episode of the show since the revival, while the series finalé was rather fun, culminating in a genuinely emotional fairwell scene for Rose. It's a shame they squandered that in the fourth series mind. :ph34r:

Series 3 was fantastic though, particularly the Human Nature two parter, and Moffat's own Blink, which many see as the best episode of the show so far. Check outseries 4's Silence in the Library/Forrest of the Dead too for more Moffat awesomeness. :P

Will do, cheers!

There was some really good stuff in there, but I got fed up sitting through the shitty episodes to get to it. Hopefully it'll be more consistantly awesome from now on!

If you asked me to name my fave episodes from series 1-4 it'd run like this

Empty Child/Doctor Dances

Girl in the Fireplace

Blink

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

Spot the connection :ph34r:

(Also big Love and Monsters fan here but it didn't fit the theme :P )

Wonderful episode.

The first 15 minutes or so were superb. An almost dreamlike fairytale of a girl meeting her imaginary friend. The strange raggedy man who eat fish fingers and custard. It was right ouf a childs book and Moffat simply understands what real kids love. And what kind of stories parents love to read to their kids. Even her house had a history behind it... the house was the kind you would see in a Roald Dahl movie... or Niall Gaiman kids story. The way it was shot... *everything* about it was just wonderful.

Moffat can take the simple thing that kids think about - cracks in the wall, shadows in the corner of their eye, creaky houses, statues and turn them into real stories. Fascinating stories full of imagination. The description of the crack and where it came from was a classic moment.

The plot of the episode didn't stand up very well - but who would care when it was crafted so brilliantly. Seeing how the Doctor could recall what he himself had seen - right up to the reminder to the Alien just who he was.

This is the strongest series opener we've had and if the rest of this series is of this standard, and let's face it - there's going to be even better to come - then we're in for a treat.

Magical.

Will do, cheers!

There was some really good stuff in there, but I got fed up sitting through the shitty episodes to get to it. Hopefully it'll be more consistantly awesome from now on!

Yeah, it's worth looking up the few good episodes that the third and fourth series had, but here's to a far more consistently enjoyable run this time.

Today, my wife reminded me of "You're Scottish, fry something". And I grinned.

Good writing in an ep which, once again, attempts to terrify kids about mundane irregularities in their day-to-day life. Bring on the rest.

The first 15 minutes or so were superb.

They were perfect. Dead clever and lovely. I've only watched the ep 3 times though, I'll check again just to be sure.

Yeah, it's worth looking up the few good episodes that the third and fourth series had, but here's to a far more consistently enjoyable run this time.

As long as Smith's character has continuity through the series then it'll be progress.

Two things that struck me. Smith's Doctor is in love with life again. His final lines to the Eyeball would have come from Tennant like the pronouncement of a vengeful god. Smith stands there looking like his limbs don't quite belong to him but it works just as well. Better even.

Spot on.

Complete change of tone. I mean, there's a time and a place I guess. If Smith stays on for 3 or so seasons, no doubt we'll see darker sides to his character. Tennant's dark side certainly made sense after his three series too - think back to New Earth, and he's a lot more chirpy.

But yes, nice to see the Doctor enjoying going out in the TARDIS again.

I've pretty much loathed Doctor Who for a while now, and hardly watched any of the last series. Thought I'd check out the new Doctor, and it was pretty good. Tennant's bug eyed, gurning style really wound me up sometimes, and whilst this new Doctor displayed some similar traits occasionally, I thought he was really quite good when he was quieter, more calm, when puzzling things out.

The new companion is absurdly hot as well.

<gets up from chair and stands in front of assembled crowd>

My name is Rob and I think I am a Whovian. I have all of the rebooted series on DVD's, people buy me Dr Who easter eggs and Christmas presents, I buy 'many' of the books, I had the Tardis as my ringtone and I subscribe to the official Doctor Who maganize. I've now started getting into the older stories and yes, I have a 'thing' for Rose....

Peter Davison was 'my doctor' (officially) but David Tennant was my best doctor.

From my side of things, I've seen so much stuff about the new series in the magazines, on websites etc. that it was almost an anti-climax. The story was good but it didn't blow me away though I don't think it was ever going to. This was an episode (as the next couple may be also) where we get to find out about the new Doctor - what he is, how he acts, his mannerisms, how he's going to approach the series.

Matt Smith has signed up for 3 years so he's got time to get into the role, find his feet (they must feel pretty small at the moment after the big shoes of Sir David of Tennant). Not sure about Karen's term as yet but she was very good (and easy on the eye too).

Steven Moffat is a BRILLIANT scriptwriter (remember Blink? (sorry, its ok now, you can come out from behind the sofa)) but I wonder how he is going to cope with running the whole show as well. Russell T Davies was just a f***ing genius (if Dr Who fans haven't read his book The Writers Tale go out and buy it - its a great insight into his tenure of the new show and also hilariously funny).

Throughout the episode I was looking for something that made it the starting point, for me, of a new era.... and then I found it. Without spoiling any of the story, it was the bit where he went "Hello, I'm the Doctor!" (and the picture montage before it but I won't spoil that for anyone either).

Doctor Who is one of (if not THE) biggest television programmes in the BBC's schedules (heh, who's have thought that'd ever happen again back in the 80's?). With its merchandising, worldwide broadcast rights, audience following, the BBC have got to have complete faith that whoever took over my Davies and Tennant was going to carry the mantle of the series and not reduce it to (Gallifreyan) dust in one foul swoop.

Matt Smith has got an incredible job to do and along the way they may lose old followers but also pick new ones up. Peter Davison had a similar job to do when he following TOM BAKER (you can't say his name without booming it out loudly) - at the time he was the youngest actor ever to play the Doctor and yet for many his was the last of the 'proper' doctors because then you had Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy who, quite frankly, mucked things up but that was largely the fault of bad scriptwriters and deteriorating budgets also.

For me though, the depressing thing was reailsing partway through that the Doctor is now younger than I am (as an actor, not the actual Doctor - I'm not really 908yrs old).

Russell T Davies was just a f***ing genius

Opinion Fail right there for me. I'd agree that he succeeded in bringing an old dead show back to life and making it popular but the longer he stayed at the helm the more we saw how creatively void he was once he'd used up his few good ideas in the first two series.

ANYWAY. This ep would get a 4/5 from me, as most people have said great doctor, assistant and camera work. Poor CGI and overly bombastic music, I guess what I'm most disappointed with though is the actual prisoner zero. Big crummy CGI snake just wasn't very creepy, I think a bit more thought could have gone into that creation, I get the feeling Moffat when writing the script didn't bother too much to describe it himself and just left the Effects guys to come up with something.

Opinion Fail right there for me. I'd agree that he succeeded in bringing an old dead show back to life and making it popular but the longer he stayed at the helm the more we saw how creatively void he was once he'd used up his few good ideas in the first two series.

That was my thinking as well. He did a superb job of making the show popular again but by the end of his run he was really running on fumes. I was definately ready for someone new. I just hope the rumours about him and Torchwood aren't true.

That was my thinking as well. He did a superb job of making the show popular again but by the end of his run he was really running on fumes. I was definately ready for someone new. I just hope the rumours about him and Torchwood aren't true.

He wrote most of the Miniseries, which was excellent.

RTD wrote some great episodes right across his run, with Gridlock and Midnight being two of my favourite episodes from the third and fourth series. The reveal of The Master in Utopia was probably the best fifteen minutes of the show to date too. What's more, lets not forget that he's had a hand in writing almost every episode of the series up until now, from minor tweaks to major re-writes. I have a feeling that episodes like Human Nature wouldn't have been quite so well loved without RTD's input. And yes, Torchwood: Children of Earth was probably the best thing on British TV last year.

There's a lot about his run that I really won't miss though. I'm already looking forward to seeing what Moffat can do with his first Christmas special for instance, which suffered from being far too overblown in RTD's hands.

He wrote most of the Miniseries, which was excellent.

Yeah. I know that. I was talking about the rumours of insisting that the only way he'll continue Torchwood is if they do it as a US show on Fox. Which is annoying since they only just figured out how to make Torchwood work with Children of Earth.

@mogster. Cornell didn't need any help to make Human Nature good. :lol:

RTD wrote some great episodes right across his run, with Gridlock and Midnight being two of my favourite episodes from the third and fourth series. The reveal of The Master in Utopia was probably the best fifteen minutes of the show to date too. What's more, lets not forget that he's had a hand in writing almost every episode of the series up until now, from minor tweaks to major re-writes. I have a feeling that episodes like Human Nature wouldn't have been quite so well loved without RTD's input. And yes, Torchwood: Children of Earth was probably the best thing on British TV last year.

There's a lot about his run that I really won't miss though. I'm already looking forward to seeing what Moffat can do with his first Christmas special for instance, which suffered from being far too overblown in RTD's hands.

Agree with every word of that.

It's also important to remember that RTD expanded the audience's (and, indeed, the BBC's) view of just what Who can do. The series 2 finale, while far from perfect, really showed that Who could do emotion, relationships, and touch buttons other than sci-fi. It's easy to forget that, in anyone else's hands, Who could easily have become modern sci-fi rubbish; see V or Caprica for details. :lol:

Julie, too, fought for the show all around the BBC and made it a priority for the network. All the red button stuff, the concerts - they lifted the profile of the show so, so high, and that's what Moffat and co will have to work to match.

When did the rllmuk hive mind decide Tennant was shit? Anytime he got a decent script, he ponied up the goods. I liked Smith but it's one performance.

DT's series started to go down hill at series 4 - which I thought was generally mince.

He had the chops and some of the best sequences with DT demonstrated that he could've been amazing - but more often than not he just ran about and shouted a lot, which was a shame.

The 2 mid year 'specials' were pretty forgettable - but I really enjoyed the Christmas/New Year specials.

I think the thing is RTD isn't so great at writing for kids... that Roald Dahl 'dark' style that really works well for Who. His stuff is either too dark and adult (see Torchwood at its best) or too juvenile.

Rather - a more gentle and subtle approach should be taken. That's why I'm utterly amazed by the first 15 minutes of new Who. It was straight out of a super childrens book... full of imagination and understanding of things that really matter to kids.