So....Matt smith....the new Doctor looks like a teenager. They really are abandoning the older audience to go with a much younger one. It'll be only shown on CBeeBies next.

How are the abandoning the audience? Do people only like watching actors the same age as them?

I'm going to reserve judgement. I personally think he's too young, but if Moffatt thinks he's right then there must be something there. Still wish it had been Patterson Joseph though.

Oh, and once again, can I say to all those people all over the news channels who say that the new incarnation should be a woman: FUCK OFF! The character is male for fucksakes. Might as well say that the new Miss Marple is going to be played by Johnny Vegas. :P

I wanted Johnson from Peep Show, I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest. I don't much like the style of this new guy.

There's no way the Doctor should be played by someone that young!

:P

Which is exactly why they should do it.

Great choice. The guy was great in Party Animals, and he looks spot on.

Bravery always pays off in the end.

Gotta agree, I think he has a morpheus look about him. He could be excellent. First time I'm older than the Dr though :)

The BBC obviously never got my memo that the Doctor should BE OLDER THAN I AM FFS!!!

Can't they smash his face in a bit or stick him in a wheelchair or something so that I don't feel so jealous watching a young buck gallavant around the Universe thrusting his tongue down the throats of nubile, three breasted alien nymphos?

He does seem like a good actor though...

Fuck sake. 15 minutes since they actually announce that Matt Smith is taking over and the vast majority of people are complaining?

Be honest - we don't know how he's going to work out, but I have a lot of faith in the guy. He's a bloody good actor, has been in a few notable TV roles, and has plenty of stage experience behind him as well. Yes, he's young, but I'm with biglime on this - The Doctor can be *anyone*. Smith's age is of no consequence - he's perfectly capable of pulling off the role with skill and style.

Now let's see some fucking scripts, Moffat!

Hmmm. Like others, I was hoping they'd go for an older Doctor with more gravitas but this could still be interesting. They've not taken the easy road, anyway, or they'd have cast someone who was actually good-looking rather than an ugly bastard who looks like Biglime's avatar.

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen him in character. No way will he be worse than Colin Baker, anyway.

Gotta agree, I think he has a morpheus look about him. He could be excellent. First time I'm older than the Dr though :P

Yeah, me too.

The dramatic challenge of a younger looking guy must be a delicious treat for any writer.

An alien-looking fine young actor. Who could have any issue with that?

Considering Moffat is now in charge we should be thankful it wasn't Nesbitt or Jack Davenport.

When they said he was in his 20s I thought it might have been Ben Wishaw or Toby Kebbell - both of which would have made interesting choices. The only thing I've seen this guy in is the Ruby in the Smoke films and he was pretty poor in those but I'll reserve judgement until I see him as the Doctor.

I'm glad its not Paterson Joseph though - he would have been terrible.

I was reading through Lawrence Miles' summary of the candidates earlier today...

Chiwetel Ejiofor (8-1). Middle England might just about accept a black Doctor, but they certainly won't accept one they can't pronounce. Hartnell! Troughton! Pertwee! Baker! Davison! Baker! McCoy! McGann! Eccleston! Tennant! Eji… Ejoili… Ej… oh, **** it, let's just hire Matt Smith instead.

:P

The idea of fandom panicking because the Doctor will suddenly be younger than they are reminds me of Frank Miller's introduction to one of the editions of The Dark Knight Returns, where he says that he wrote it when he had the realisation that he was suddenly older than Bruce Wayne...

The look at the end just completely put me off him. What a smug cunt.

And The Doctor has never been smug...

He has an odd looking face, and I like the odd looking Doctors. Almost everyone on here has criticized every decision made in "New Who", apart from Moffat taking over so I suppose the Moffat backlash starts here...

The idea of fandom panicking because the Doctor will suddenly be younger than they are reminds me of Frank Miller's introduction to one of the editions of The Dark Knight Returns, where he says that he wrote it when he had the realisation that he was suddenly older than Bruce Wayne...

Never mind fandom, what about meeee?

EDIT: And David Blunkett.

The guy has over a year before we'll see him in any extended sequence but it's his age that worries me. The doctor always had that gravitas I thought, I can't see this guy commanding a room of people. Reserve judgement and to be honest, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.