I can't quite work out how many episodes David Tennant has left. We know he's obviously in this year's Christmas Special, and he said last night that he would begin filming four new specials in January, so that means there are at least five stories left including the 2008 Christmas Special; however, on Outpost Gallifrey they have reported that DT will appear in the four specials and the 2009 Christmas Special, so potentially there are still six 'feature length' episodes to come before he goes. It's all so confusing.

It also sounds as though there won't be a Christmas Day 2009 regeneration after all, as it's been reported that the four specials will air in 2009 and 2010, with the 2010 one presumably being DT's final appearance shortly before Season Five kicks off in early 2010 (assuming they don't tinker with the format and move the show to the autumn / winter, which I actually wish they would).

Got a headache now.

AIUI there's 5 episodes of Tennant left

1 Christmas special this year

4 specials next year.

They start filming in January. Thne S5 shoudl start filming around July time next year. So they would have to announce No 11 by then.

There was the usual suggestion that the new Doctor could maybe be a woman on Breakfast this morning. Sandi Toksvig's name was bandied about. ;)

Why is it so hard to understand that the character is male?

It's akin to suggesting that, for the next Bond move, James Bond should be female.

Just saw this on BT Yahoo:

David Tennant has announced that he is vacating the Tardis and leaving the BBC's Doctor Who series at the end of next year.

Tennant's decision brings to an end his popular four-year tenure as the time lord.

The BBC confirmed that the actor will complete the filming of four special episodes to be screened this year and in early 2010 as well as 2009's Christmas special.

Tennant, who is the tenth incarnation of the immortal time-traveller, has starred in three series and three Christmas specials.

He has drawn praise for his reprisal of the role after Christopher Eccleston left in 2005.

He said: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who. I have loved every day of it.

"It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

He added: "I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Before all this shit kicked off, I thought that Russell Brand would make an interesting choice. I'm not a big fan of his and I'm not sure he could pull it off, but I'd like to see him go all Tom Baker on us, big coats and scarves and a bit oddball this time.

There was the usual suggestion that the new Doctor could maybe be a woman on Breakfast this morning. Sandi Toksvig's name was bandied about. ;)

Why is it so hard to understand that the character is male?

It's akin to suggesting that, for the next Bond move, James Bond should be female.

o/\o

Exactly. There are male Timelords like the Doctor and the Master, then there are female Timelords like Rani.

I'm quite disappointed DT is leaving at the end of next year. It means the swan-song for one of the best Doctors of all will be a string of overblown RTD set-piece episodes. ;) I was really looking forward to seeing what he would do with Moffat at the helm.

Before all this shit kicked off, I thought that Russell Brand would make an interesting choice. I'm not a big fan of his and I'm not sure he could pull it off, but I'd like to see him go all Tom Baker on us, big coats and scarves and a bit oddball this time.

Poor man's Paul McGann, IMO. ;)

I'm quite disappointed DT is leaving at the end of next year. It means the swan-song for one of the best Doctors of all will be a string of overblown RTD set-piece episodes. :( I was really looking forward to seeing what he would do with Moffat at the helm.

Don't forget though, the last two specials will be co-written with Steven Moffat. :lol:

I want to try and settle an argument between myself and my wife.

We all know the Doctor can't travel back in his own timeline or affect his own future selves other than when the timelords or the tardis allowed it in special circumstances.

Therefore, because he met River Song when he was in his tenth life, he now cannot meet her in the future as her body is gone and shes a computer simulation of herself. He retroactively altered his own timeline meaning all the waffle on outpost gallifrey that she has to come back into it in the future is nonsense and also it means they can neatly sidestep it when they cant get alex kingston to come back.

Doesn't a future him meet a past her? By way of future him travelling back in time to some past period of her life and possibly bringing her on some time adventures of their own. He didn't necessarily alter the timeline. This could be the way it always has been.

assuming they don't tinker with the format and move the show to the autumn / winter, which I actually wish they would

That wouldnt work as there is no suitable timeslot available on a Saturday night as Come Dancing and X Factor aren't going to end anytime soon.

Nah, that's rubbish. And there's even precedent -- rent/watch/read Mawdryn Undead, in which the Peter Davison doctor mucks about with the Brigadier across two different timelines. He can appear at multiple points in someone's life.

All it really means is that if the Doctor travels back to the Library at a point in the Library's future, River would still be there. But he could travel back to any point in *River's* past (but his future) to have their adventure(s) together.

It would *presumably* mean that the 11th (or whatever) Doctor would have to hold his tongue very carefully as to not point out to River what's going to happen to her, but there's nothing wrong here.

In fact, he could even stuff things up and tell her; there's a good bit in Pyramids Of Mars where SJS points out that Sutekh can't win in 1911 because she's from (1980? Been a while since I've watched it), and the Doctor disproves that by taking her to a ruined Earth after Sutekh "wins". Continuity ain't what it used to be.

But if she met ten and then died while with him that then stops the future him meeting her. He cant alter events in his own past. So by meeting her as ten he contradicted meeting her as nth.

unless she was from a future where she's ALREADY met nth.

Oh wait, sorry. That's just too obvious...

unless she was from a future where she's ALREADY met nth.

Oh wait, sorry. That's just too obvious...

This.

And, technically, he *can* alter events in his own past, even if it's just "meeting himself". Technically, he does exactly this in Three/Five/Two Doctors, albeit unwillingly. He chooses not to muck about in his own past (although whether this is due to immutable laws of time, a la Fathers Day, or Time Lord Law, a la Three/Five/Two Doctors, and argued in Earthshock, so he's just observing it out of habit rather than compulsion, isn't entirely clear.)

Or, as MrsLoathsomeLeopard just pointed out to me, in The Doctor's Daughter, where the Tardis sends him back in his own timeline far enough to create her... oh, god, that's just too annoying. I'd rather pretend that The Doctor's Daughter didn't happen at all, anyway.

But to break it down for you (and I'm making up the dates, just for convenience)

River Song: Born 50,000AD. Died 50040AD (or so).

Met the 11th Doctor in 50035AD, spent four years with him. In 50040AD, travels to the Library, meets the tenth doctor, carks it. No problems at all. The Doctor isn't meeting himself, or interfering with his own timeline in any way at all.

The future him *probably shouldn't* (as per the whole "is it a time lord law, or a LAW" bit above) travel to the Library at the time she was being killed and interfere there, but there's nothing stopping him from travelling throughout time and space. In fact, he's got this neat little box for doing just that...

But if she met ten and then died while with him that then stops the future him meeting her. He cant alter events in his own past. So by meeting her as ten he contradicted meeting her as nth.

How does meeting her as 10 contradict meeting her later as, say, 12 but at an earlier point in her life? How does it alter his past?

How does meeting her as 10 contradict meeting her later as, say, 12 but at an earlier point in her life? How does it alter his past?

I'm talking about his past from a future perspective.

She died when she met ten causing a paradox.

That and they will probably not get alex kingston back due to her schedule

Oh and can anyone point me in the direction of eric sawards birth of a renegade online as I would love to read it

I'm talking about his past from a future perspective.

She died when she met ten causing a paradox.

That and they will probably not get alex kingston back due to her schedule

It's not a paradox, just not linear.

River meets the Doctor long before the events of Silence In The Library, but a long time later in the Doctor's life. The Doctor has already met River at the end of her life, which is probably why he grows to trust her so much in his future, but obviously he doesn't tell her about his past meeting. He does however modify his sonic screwdriver to save her "soul", which he finally gives to her before her visit to the Library, and her encounter with his past self. There's no paradox here, just a linear timeline intersecting a non-linear one.

Anyway, the Doctor can go wherever the hell he likes, with the exception of time-locked events like the Time War. The Time Lords used to prevent anyone from meeting themselves under the First Law of Time, but bent the rules when neccessary in the multi-Doctor stories. Now they're gone, there's no such restriction, as we saw in Father's Day. Obviously the Reapers have other ideas though.