rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

http://www.cyberlizard.plus.com/Cult%20TV/drwho.htm

Early on in the series we were introduced to the idea of regeneration, a concept whereby a Time Lord could apparently go through a profound physiological change to prolong his lifespan, although apparently the number of regenerations is finite. Needless to say, this was also a useful device for replacing one actor with another and thereby keeping the series going. William Hartnell "regenerated" after the Doctor's first encounter with the Cybermen in 1964 and became Patrick Troughton, and so on.

13 isn't it?

He can be in photos of the past in adventures that he hasn't had yet. Maybe those photos hint at stories to come? That's the beauty of time travel.  Maybe if you look real close at the photos Rose might be in there too....

You haven't thought about it very well, have you. Remember. He can travel throught time in the tardis. Therefore, in his current guise he could have been anywhere in time, therefore meaning he would indeed appear in those photos.

This makes me think of a time travelling car

Did anyone do a search to see if Colin's "Doctor" website was real? Could've been a nice bit of online advertising for the Beeb.

Also, although I understand the reasons (not wanting to confuse new viewers with pictures of other actors), surely Colin would've found pictures of the other incarnations of the Doctor. Would've been nice to see a quick shot of Tom Baker or something as a quick nod to the fans.

Did anyone do a search to see if Colin's "Doctor" website was real? Could've been a nice bit of online advertising for the Beeb.

Also, although I understand the reasons (not wanting to confuse new viewers with pictures of other actors), surely Colin would've found pictures of the other incarnations of the Doctor. Would've been nice to see a quick shot of Tom Baker or something as a quick nod to the fans.

Sylvester McCoy is quite clearly betterer

Direction was insipid and the CGI was borderline awful (thought The Mill were decent at FX, although some of the space stuff next week looks quite good...), but it was very entertaining. Roll on next week, here's hoping that the change of director in a couple of episodes makes it look less "BBC".

Good stuff, even the bin burp is excusable considering that it's a kids show. Graham Norton interrupting it, not excusable. No doubt someone's had a proper bollocking for that.

Cool link.\

Interesting point - in the first episode of the new series, the doctor seemed as though he was trying to arrest that big molten lava monster underneath the London eye - does that mean he's no longer a 'rogue' time lord, and is back working as a proper protector of time?

Or am I sapping all the whimsy and fun out of it?

I thought it was utter shit.

Ah, I've missed the statements-without-reasoning of this forum.

I thought it was pretty good. Russell T Davis has obvious respect for the earlier shows and although I thought Christopher Eccleston's choice of not having a traditional costume prop was a bit strange, he says he doesn't need props. There's a lot of different parts of other Doctors in his performance too, which also makes sense. The effects were good-ish. Not brilliant, not bad. They handled the Autons pretty well though.

Love the insides of the new TARDIS and Billie Piper played off Eccleston well as well. In fact, I'm looking forward to the next show. OHNOS! Positive statements! Quick, shoot him downs! :o

Thanks Oli.

Actually I only know of one torrent site which I use to download 24. It's American so no UK tv. I tried UKnova earlier but that is not accepting new members. I only got into this whole torrent thing recently you see.

Once again, thank you.

P.S. Bookmarked now :o

its clive's website. head here.

www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

at the bottom the page click on lies

It thought it was ok, but I'd be hard pressed to compliment it further than that. I thought the script was functional but not much more (especially comparing it to say, Casanova, which I thought was pretty good). The direction was pretty shoddy, and the FX, while ok in places at points were horrendous (those pictures of the Doctor at the Kennedy assassination and stuff were some of the worst examples of Photoshopping I've ever seen, most of this forum could do better). By and large really, it just reeked of general Saturday evening fare, the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased remake and even Bugs, and while you could argue that Who is also a Saturday evening show, it's clearly been hyped up a lot higher.

I thought it pandered to Who fans a bit much as well, I got the feeling that the programme was expecting me to cream myself when I saw Doctor, and when he looked at himself in the mirror and so on.

Still, all that aside it wasn't too bad, I thought it got better towards the end, and it hinted at a lot of interesting stuff to come, "the war" and that. I'll probably end up watching all of them anyway.

its clive's website. head here.

From there...

Steve M.

I saw him ... scrawling the numbers "23 6 801" on a wall ....

Does that mean anything to anybody? Or is it something we haven't seen yet?

It was very bad.

It retained all the worst bits and updated all the wrong ones.

Eccleston was a non-entity. The relationship between him and Rose made no sense whatsoever. Billie minged. The mannequin plot was dire. The wheelie bin was dire. The end sequence had some really bad pacing.

I really didn't like it at all. But next weeks episode looks a lot better.

You haven't thought about it very well, have you. Remember. He can travel throught time in the tardis. Therefore, in his current guise he could have been anywhere in time, therefore meaning he would indeed appear in those photos.

SHIT, you're... RIGHT!

Those could be future moments of his latest version in the past.

Fucking time travel.

Ok... I can't... really complain now. Damn.

I liked the bin.

It was very bad.

Eccleston was a non-entity. The relationship between him and Rose made no sense whatsoever. Billie minged. The mannequin plot was dire. The wheelie bin was dire. The end sequence had some really bad pacing.

Reassuringly wrong as usual. Nice to know there are some things you can rely on in life.

It was very bad.

Yeah, I have to say, that's another thing I hated. The fact that her bf WAS PROBABLY DEAD, yet she was running along hand-in-hand with the doctor. God, it's still rubbish, even though I was wrong about that whole non-contradiction.

I guess it's in fashion to praise crap telly just because they slapped an old franchise on top of it.

You keep on thinking that if it makes you feel better.

You know full well that this show was developed by people who are both talented AND passionate about Dr Who. Nobody 'slapped an old franchise' on anything. It's quite clearly a labour of love.

You keep on thinking that if it makes you feel better.

You know full well that this show was developed by people who are both talented AND passionate about Dr Who.  Nobody 'slapped an old franchise' on anything.  It's quite clearly a labour of love.

Which sometimes go horribly wrong...

It's not horrible, but it just tries too hard, and that boyfriend character was the worst thing evah.

I remain unconvinced by the initial episode but have hopes for the future. Come on people - some of that script was absolutely awful, whether it's a "family" show or otherwise!

I thought the script was great. There were funny lines which made me laugh, the Doctors explanations of events were knowledgable without sounding like so much technobabble. Rose was upset about her boyfriend but there wasn't much time to dwell on it what with an impending invasion and all.

I thought the character of the Doctor was spot on. Half the time he looks like he is getting a real buzz out of the excitement of it all and switching to all serious when necessary.

All in all, a first class piece of TV. I haven't been as entertained by British drama as much as this in years.

It seemed as bad as I remember the old stuff being so at least it's faithful/okay if you like that sort of thing, I guess. Next week's episode looks to guest star a bunch of Space Precinct and Farscape rejects so though I kinda like the idea behind it ('Get your tickets to the End of the World!'), the look of the aliens and the thought of more Eccleston camera-mugging and dire Piper delivery means I'm inclined to give it a miss.

Oh, and I found the incidental music really rather horrible. Better to have no score at all than that rubbish.