IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I don't think I've seen him in anything before, but I'm sure he'll be great. :D

I am a bit disappointed they didn't go for another woman though, if only because certain people will be celebrating for the wrong reasons. But hey, we've finally got a black actor in the lead role!

That's a great bit of casting. He's the standout in Sex Education (well worth a watch, one of Netflix's best shows), has a great emotional range and an incredibly expressive face. 

Surprised that the announcement came out of nowhere, instead of being hyped up in advance like the last few. Matt Smith's casting was announced in a Dr Who Confidential episode; Capaldi in a special TV episode; Whittaker as part of the broadcast of the men's Wimbledon final.

I've seen people on Twitter speculating that this was originally going to be announced at the BAFTA TV awards tonight, but the BBC announced it early to pre-empt a leak?

On 23/04/2022 at 22:28, Garwoofoo said:

I’ll be sorry to see the back of the Sacha Dhawan Master when Chibnall goes (presumably). For me he’s been the one unambiguously excellent thing about the entire run. 

Yeah, I was surprised Big Finish announced an audio series while Sacha Dhawan is still appearing in the TV series. I suppose a Doctor/Master regeneration would be a nice callback to the original intent for Pertwee and Delgado to leave at the same time in the final 3rd Doctor serial. However, I really enjoy his slightly unhinged portrayal of the Master (I still have doubts that he's capable of destroying Gallifrey, though).

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Ncuti Gatwa confirmed as the 14th Doctor on the official BBC Doctor Who Twitter account. 

Apparently he'd dropped a very big hint on Twitter a while back.

It may just be a matter of time, but I looked at all the comments on Facebook where this has been announced, and so far there *hasn't* been rants about the woke agenda or anything of the sort. A fair few people going "Who?" but mostly compliments on the choice and his acting.

Hopefully Ncuti and RTD can get the series back on track. I imagine the initial ratings will be huge, so here’s hoping they can launch the show with some real bangers so that people stick around. I’m still a couple of series behind, I dropped off totally after previously watching everything since the 2005 reboot. Chibnall just isn’t a very good writer.

28 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Jesus, black and gay - Nazis are going to cream themselves with joy.

I don't think Nciti has ever discussed his own sexuality from the interviews I have read with him, he doesn't want to speak about his relationships.

15 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Apparently he'd dropped a very big hint on Twitter a while back.

It may just be a matter of time, but I looked at all the comments on Facebook where this has been announced, and so far there *hasn't* been rants about the woke agenda or anything of the sort. A fair few people going "Who?" but mostly compliments on the choice and his acting.

I remember lots of 'who??' comments when Matt Smith was announced, and I think he was the best Doctor since the reboot.

Would love Gatwa to be half as good as Smith! 

32 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

I don't think Nciti has ever discussed his own sexuality from the interviews I have read with him, he doesn't want to speak about his relationships.

Ah right, I had just presumed from Sex Ed, perhaps unfairly. Charismatic lad, though. Solid choice.

I was worried they were going to for that lad from It's A Sin that I don't think is a very good actor.

I've never heard of the guy but then again I've never seen Sex Education, I'd always assumed it was some kind of Netflix version of Hollyoaks. Glad those who know him reckon he's good though.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

Jesus, black and gay - Nazis are going to cream themselves with joy.

Jesus was black, but I don’t think he was gay.

37 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've never heard of the guy but then again I've never seen Sex Education, I'd always assumed it was some kind of Netflix version of Hollyoaks. Glad those who know him reckon he's good though.

It's well worth a watch - some fantastic characters and performances and this guy is probably the pick of the bunch. 

He seems to radiate charisma and has such a wide range of emotions and moods which will suit the character of the Doctor so well. He'll absolutely light up the screen.

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

That's a great bit of casting. He's the standout in Sex Education (well worth a watch, one of Netflix's best shows), has a great emotional range and an incredibly expressive face. 

The fact that he’s black is just the BBC ticking off the next box on their checklist. To hear he’s a great actor, however, is brilliant news and this is the most excited I’ve been about the show since Smith left. 

39 minutes ago, deKay said:

Jesus was black, but I don’t think he was gay.

Hung out with a lot of men and one women who everyone thought was a slapper? Hmm.

40 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

It's well worth a watch - some fantastic characters and performances and this guy is probably the pick of the bunch. 

He seems to radiate charisma and has such a wide range of emotions and moods which will suit the character of the Doctor so well. He'll absolutely light up the screen.

What I liked about him was his obvious charisma but then there are layers revealed where you don't even always like the character. It wouls have been so easy for them to stick with funny gay best friend to 'main' character but they wrote him as a real human being.

That's some good actin'.

I was so tense in the Season 3 episode when he visited the relatives, oh man.

1 minute ago, Festoon said:

What I liked about him was his obvious charisma but then there are layers revealed where you don't even always like the character.

That's some good actin'.

I was so tense in the Season 3 episode when he visited the relatives, oh man.

Absolutely. That particular plot line really showed his versatility as an actor.