IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I got the impression it’s not their mouths were hearing. There seemed to be some kind of vocalisation device on their chest which did pulsate with light in time with their speech. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I got the impression it’s not their mouths were hearing. There seemed to be some kind of vocalisation device on their chest which did pulsate with light in time with their speech. 

This. 

Also, I have a high tolerance for immobile mouths from watching old Planet of the Apes films. 

If you have an issue with how the mouths work on  aliens in Dr Who. I'd recommend a different series to watch.  

I've seen Vervoids and Cybermen and Daleks. There's fuck to work from with those tbh but you just accept it. And it's a weird point to make when watching made up nonsense. 

3 hours ago, jcafarley said:

This gave Picard a run for its money in being utter shite.

I grew up with Star Trek (My Mom’s favourite) and Dr Who (Dad’s favourite), and I think they’ve both influenced the person I am. So it’s pretty gutting to see them both so shite at the moment.

I bloody love pirates (see my avatar!) so this SHOULD have been great - the Sea Devils is one of my favourite Pertwee stories so I was looking forward to seeing them again (we do not speak of the Myrka....).  But the whole episode was boring, and I thought it looked incredibly cheap.  Like the Myrka.

Spoiler

The Doctor/Yaz story is appalling.  Yaz must be the most ordinary companion since the show returned - there's pretty much no on screen chemistry between them, it's been shoe horned into the plot and simply does not work.  It's a cheap, tacky storyline that makes no sense and is being terribly handled!  Is it just me that really doesn't care about Yaz, her backstory etc etc?

Like everyone else, I was so excited to see the Ace/Tegan teaser at the end - but this is Dr Who a la Chibs.  He's going to fuck it up, isn't he?

I have always felt so sorry for Jodie Whittaker - such a quality actress but she's had some dreadful scripts to try and work with and it's badly affecting her portrayal of the Doctor.  Her tenure won't be looked back on with much fondness, and the sexist element of the fan base will incorrectly lay the blame on her gender, when it should be on the bad writing/scripts.  

Regarding Yaz - she's fine I guess, like you say a completely ordinary companion without much to distinguish her at all. Her backstory of being a police officer has been pretty much completely ignored, her family have been used for an episode or two and then forgotten again, and like you say there's no chemistry between her and the Doctor anyway. All I can really say about her is that she's better than Ryan was.

At this point I think the 14th Doctor has got to be a woman too, just to prove to the gammons that that's not the reason why 13's run has been so shit.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Regarding Yaz - she's fine I guess, like you say a completely ordinary companion without much to distinguish her at all. Her backstory of being a police officer has been pretty much completely ignored, her family have been used for an episode or two and then forgotten again, and like you say there's no chemistry between her and the Doctor anyway. All I can really say about her is that she's better than Ryan was.

At this point I think the 14th Doctor has got to be a woman too, just to prove to the gammons that that's not the reason why 13's run has been so shit.

Agreed. Shame Tilda Swinton's name isn't being mentioned this time, she would have made a great Doctor.

Finally watched this and... bleh.

It wasn't offensively awful, and I actually quite enjoyed the first twenty minutes or so, but then it just dissolved into a mess of noise. 

Spoiler

The Yaz thing is terrible. She has no character whatsoever! They tried a couple of seasons ago by telling the audience she was "really brave", but that was it. 

Whatever your feelings on them, Rose and River were both really strong characters with great chemistry with Doctors they were paired with. Yaz is just nothing.

I can't wait for this era to end. The trailer for the finalé reminded me that there has been some good stuff in Whittaker's run, but they've been few and far between.

Actually, the trailer also reminded me that Chibnall started out by making a point of never falling back on classic monsters in an attempt to put his own stamp on the show. Now we've got a finalé promising Daleks, Cybermen, The Master and

Spoiler

Ace and Tegan

All this following specials focussing on Sea Devils and, well the Daleks again. It's like he can't be arsed any more.

Just noticed those. I'm not surprised to see a Fugitive Doctor series, although I am surprised to see it quite so soon. I guess this era will soon fall into the "old stuff" category.

Latest rumour for 14th which has been posted by the individual who confidently posted Capaldi on gallifreybase reckons it’s 

Spoiler

Jessica Hynde.  Her from Human Nature 2 part. 

Take with pinch of salt. 

39 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Latest rumour for 14th which has been posted by the individual who confidently posted Capaldi on gallifreybase reckons it’s 

Reveal hidden contents

Take with pinch of salt. 

Not a bad choice tbh. 

That choice is so good, it can't be true.

I really hope the Docter is  a woman, as the hoped return to excellence will be championed as gender thing rather than a Chibnal thing by all them awful internet people.

On 27/04/2022 at 19:29, davidcotton said:

Hide contents

Take with pinch of salt. 

Would really like that.

(Had to quote this post in case someone thought this response was for Corden. I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than see him cast in the role.)

Hynes would be amazing, and has worked with RTD recently in Years and Years so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. She's also got prior Who experience of course, and there's avery good reason for the Doctor to choose that character's face.

Anyone listening to Doctor Who: Redacted on the BBC Sounds app?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/29/doctor-who-redacted-transgender-podcast

It's a ten-part audio drama described by its creators as "very gay, very trans" and from what I've heard (three episodes out so far), it's really good. It's inclusive and diverse in a way that doesn't feel forced and it also feels like the kind of thing Doctor Who should be doing. It's got great production too, and feels a lot more modern than the stuff Big Finish does which is often quite "stagey" and traditional. There are some cameos in there from Jodie Whittaker and a number of other Who alumni.

I've certainly enjoyed what I've heard a lot more than anything Chibnall's shat out over the last few years. Give it a go if you're feeling a big jaded with Who's direction at the moment, it's a breath of fresh air.