IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I enjoyed it, definitely a few plot holes and the Daleks can't shoot for shit more than 3 feet away from their target but it was fun and nicely resolved at the end. 

Much better than the Flux story arc which seemed to make no sense at all to me. I'm kind of done with the big story arcs that never seem to have the pay off to make it satisfying. 

Just watched the New Year episode and enjoyed it to be fair. 

Yeah there was massive plot holes, and I would have liked an appearance from Scouse Chewbacca, but overall much better than the festive fare we have been served in recent years.

I really want to like Doctor Who. I have a lots of good will towards the show but in my opinion it's rarely lived up to its potential.

My hope for the future is that they give the show some internal logic. RTD can certainly write but I personally didn't think his run was very good either.

I really wish the TV movie had been a hit and we'd got a few seasons with McGann. The production had it's problems but American sci fi shows of the 90s generally found their feet after a seaon or two and I think we'd have seen some really good stuff.

45 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I'll be glad to see that back of Whittaker's dingy, cramped, fugly Tardis control room when Chibnall buggers off.

I was surprised they didn’t change it in this given what was happening. I know they normally change with a new Doctor, but has it ever changed mid-Doctor before? I’m not that familiar with the old series. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was surprised they didn’t change it in this given what was happening. I know they normally change with a new Doctor, but has it ever changed mid-Doctor before? I’m not that familiar with the old series. 

Matt Smith had two versions (because his first set was a pain to shoot in).

Tom Baker briefly had a wooden console room, but apart from that the Tardis interior was relatively unchanged across the entire old series.

While fundamentally the same TARDIS, for 12 the lighting was revamped and the set was dressed more, so it definitely feels a bit different. The last couple of major changes were driven by moving to HD and budget if I remember correctly so maybe they'll go down that route again.

The TARDIS from the TV Movie is weirdly the best one.

I've only really liked Capaldi's Tardis out of all the modern versions. I'd like them to go back to the original designs a bit more, I thought the little we saw of the Fugitive Doctor's Tardis was tremendous.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was wondering if they'd do that, as they had the perfect excuse. I guess it would have been a bit of an indulgence with just a couple more specials to go.

8 hours ago, JamesC said:

I really want to like Doctor Who. I have a lots of good will towards the show but in my opinion it's rarely lived up to its potential.

My hope for the future is that they give the show some internal logic. RTD can certainly write but I personally didn't think his run was very good either.

I really wish the TV movie had been a hit and we'd got a few seasons with McGann. The production had it's problems but American sci fi shows of the 90s generally found their feet after a seaon or two and I think we'd have seen some really good stuff.

McGann's very long lived audio run is still ongoing and still excellent, if you fancy checking out what his Doctor turned out like. A few of them are on Spotify, including Storm Warning (his first).

RTD's run wasn't perfect, but he turned the show into an international sensation and produced some of the greatest Who ever made. Every season of his included at least one classic, usually more, and I think both Ecclestone and Tennant made for brilliant Doctors. I'm really excited to see what the next series will turn out like.

Had McGann's pilot produced a series then you are looking at something like Star Trek: TNG, Stargate, Sliders sort of mainstream US 90s sci fi ballpark. That could well have been good but I think winds up tonally very different to the reboot we got.

I think there's a straight line between how the classic show was evolving near the end of McCoy's run and the new show and it's good it's a different feel from US sci fi even when it hits the same themes. The price is it is the most variable thing on TV. Season 3 is widely regarded. You've got Human Nature, Blink and the finale, yes, but also Daleks in Manhattan. Season 5 is my favourite but could anyone sit through the Silurian two partner again?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kensei said:

Rumours the 14th Doctor will be... David Tennant.

A bad idea, but I suspect it's being used to create noise to obscure the real pick.

Yeah if Tennant is 14 I’m pretty much done (not watched the end of flux or Christmas special).  Feels like a slow news day if this has resurfaced.  Give the role to an up and coming actor/actress like Tennant and Smith were).  Besides I’m betting it’s still going to be an actress this time around or it will be seen as admitting failure. 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

The rumour is that he's 14 for three specials and then regenerates into 15. I could be on board with that (I'd rather it be 12 though)

Sorry, just bring him back as 10 then for three specials and introduce 14 as 14. Still think it’s bollocks though. 

We know the Doctor starts starts to regenerate into his "old favourites" based on what the Curator said in Day of the Doctor, although I assumed that would start at some far distant point their future. But hey, he didn't want to go... :ph34r:

It probably is just some wishful thinking from certain fans anyway. I don't think RTD would want to just retread old ground, so if Tennant is coming back at all I'd expect it to be for a multi-Doctor story or something. There's always Big Finish for the new Tennant stuff.