IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this series at all, it just feels like an ordeal we all have to get through before we get some sort of reboot.

I realised I hadn't even bothered to watch the New Year special this year so I'm going to rectify that tonight.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this series at all, it just feels like an ordeal we all have to get through before we get some sort of reboot.

I realised I hadn't even bothered to watch the New Year special this year so I'm going to rectify that tonight.

Watched it myself this morning.

Spoiler

It was worth it for the brilliant Jack Harkness speech on being a companion to the Doctor.

Felt the actual Dalek plot was a little obvious, particularly “rich businessman tries to betray humanity”. But again, the interactions between Jack and the fam were fantastic, and the goodbyes were great. It worked because of the missing ten months - you can see how it would change your opinion of the Doctor, having been shown what life can be like.

On 30/10/2021 at 09:15, davidcotton said:

New Who tomorrow night. 

I'm kind of looking forward to it. New Who is new Who after all, and there's always the possibility this could magically turn into the Who equivalent of Children of Earth.

With new RTD who on the way though it does feel a bit of a tease.

I know that complaining about the audibility of the dialogue has been an ongoing thing since approximately 2005... but the dialogue was particularly muffled here, wasn't it?

One spaceship per human/dog alien pair seems like an extremely inefficient use of vehicles!

Closing montage of shots of all the different characters... oh yes, those Victorian guys turned up earlier, didn't they? I'd forgotten about them.

Yeah that was good fun. The pre-credits sequence was very silly mind, but luckily it improved after that.

The dog alien did look very much like a man in a dog costume, although I kind of like that. Oh and I quite like Dan from what little we've seen if him.

It is yet another fate of the Earth/Galaxy/Universe story of course, but it does feel a bit more interesting than most.

Hyperactive, borderline incomprehensible nonsense but at least it was something different I suppose. We’ve never had an episode of Who that is entirely setup before so hopefully some of this will pay off in future episodes. 

That dog thing was proper shit though. I mean we’re talking Caves of Androzani levels of bad monstering here. Bungle from Rainbow had more emotional range than that thing. 

I can’t decide whether I liked it or not, but as it’s the first part of an ongoing story I can wait and see I suppose. It felt very late-era RTD season finale in the way it just threw absolutely everything in and then more for good measure, and Clare meeting them before they’ve met her was a bit Clara* (even down to the similar name, is it going to turn out to be her?) but it was entertaining enough. And the funny lines were actually funny especially the [redacted] getting increasingly uncomfortable in the conversation about how old he looked.

I’ve completely forgotten how the last series ended though, wasn’t there some cybermen related cliffhanger? Or did that get resolved without me noticing?

*and River Song, of course!