Doctor Who

FishyFish

If you time-travelled back to the end of RTD's first reign and told me that I'd be really excited at the prospect of him returning, I would NEVER have believed you. But I am! Awesome news!

(I still haven't watched anything past the first 4 Chibnalls. Probably should.)

19 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

If you time-travelled back to the end of RTD's first reign and told me that I'd be really excited at the prospect of him returning, I would NEVER have believed you. But I am! Awesome news!

(I still haven't watched anything past the first 4 Chibnalls. Probably should.)

Yep!  Be careful,what you wish for,

I remember looking forward to Moffat taking over because I couldn’t stand RTD by the end of his time, but such has been Chibnall’s run that even I’m excited by this news!

38 minutes ago, PK said:

Why is everybody looking forward to RTD returning? Weren't his episodes all shit?

He seems to bring out the best in other writers though so there were always a few really great episodes which justified sitting through the tripe. It’s descended to new lows since he left

RTD was good at giving the companions and other supporting characters memorable and likeable characterisation. And even though the social commentary of stuff like Turn Left was very on the nose, at least it was a clear stance against injustice. Which is more than you can say of how those aspects have generally been handled in the Chibnall era.

Not saying his writing was always great, especially when it came to series finales and Christmas specials. But occasionally, just occasionally, he gave us a Midnight or a Utopia... :wub: 

I really liked RTD’s Doctor Who and I think it got better with age as Moffat’s writing tics became more irritating and then Chibnall, let’s face it, killed the show. 

Fascinating thing with RTD and Moffat was their different understanding of the show’s main villains. RTD didn’t really get the Cybermen whereas Moffat had a bunch of good stories with them, but the flipside was that Moffat didn’t get the Daleks at all. I don’t think there’s a single memorable Dalek story in Moffat’s run. 

RTD on the other hand really grasped that you shouldn’t try to be clever or arch with the Daleks to diminish them - his Daleks are just complete and total Nazi cunts who almost always carry genuine menace.

I didn't like most of RTD's episodes at the time, but it's all relative isn't it, his stuff now looks like The Sopranos when you compare it to Chibnall's utter dreck.

Regardless of my personal feelings about his writing, he was a decent showrunner as in he managed to get multiple series out on time, plus specials and spin-offs and was consistently good at it keeping it hyped in the media.

Wonder what he'll do about to the timeless child utter bollocks, can't see him outright retconning it but hopefully he'll just politely ignore it.

13 hours ago, PK said:

Why is everybody looking forward to RTD returning? Weren't his episodes all shit?

I don’t get it either. There’s some selective remembering of RTD’s tenure for sure.

Very disappointed by the news. It needed someone new in to refresh the show, not someone who has already helmed it for five years, and with a patchy record at that. 

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

Wonder what he'll do about to the timeless child utter bollocks, can't see him outright retconning it but hopefully he'll just politely ignore it.

I don't think there's much more to say about it after the series finalé info dump. It doesn't really change anything, other than giving the Doctor a specific reason for feeling different and I guess opening the door for some more pre-Hartnell surprise Doctors. 

RTD Who was always more interested in elevating the importance of ordinary people rather than making the Doctor out to be something more than they are, so yes I think it will be largely ignored.

So RTD at least knows how to do Doctor Who, and has proven he can knock out episodes on a regular schedule. When his Who was good, it was very very good 

But can't help be a little depressed by this. The BBC has no idea what to do with the show other than go backwards. 

There were certainly things that RTD did well, and things he did less well. By the end of his run his tendency to just wing it with plots was becoming a bit too apparent. Stuff like The Stolen Earth was just nonsense, really. I think we were all ready for Moffat to take over (and it turned out he had his own set of problems as a showrunner, of course).

But RTD did do characters very, very well. And always got the best out of his writing team. I'm sure whatever he comes back with won't be the same as first time around, the television landscape is very different now and I'm sure he's bursting with ideas.

I mean, yes, he's a safe pair of hands, but if they don't steer this ship back on course then the show is going to go away again for a very, very long time. If RTD can broaden the appeal of the show again and make it something that kids and families actually want to watch every week, then he'll have done what is needed.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

There were certainly things that RTD did well, and things he did less well. By the end of his run his tendency to just wing it with plots was becoming a bit too apparent. Stuff like The Stolen Earth was just nonsense, really. I think we were all ready for Moffat to take over (and it turned out he had his own set of problems as a showrunner, of course).

But RTD did do characters very, very well. And always got the best out of his writing team. I'm sure whatever he comes back with won't be the same as first time around, the television landscape is very different now and I'm sure he's bursting with ideas.

I mean, yes, he's a safe pair of hands, but if they don't steer this ship back on course then the show is going to go away again for a very, very long time. If RTD can broaden the appeal of the show again and make it something that kids and families actually want to watch every week, then he'll have done what is needed.

Said at the time what was needed was a bit of both of them.  So a Russell T Moffat, or a Stephen Davies if you will. 

The big problem with taking over after the Chibnail era for any new showrunner was always the same as what happened during the 80’s: the show had a clear black mark on it after sagging in the ratings so much.

Davies coming back isn’t too different from when Sidney Newman and Verity Lambert were asked to come back. I imagine we’ll see wether or not it’ll make a difference.

Feels a bit like a successful football manager coming back to a club when they've taken a dip. It rarely works.

Also just feel - it's an iconic show with now global reach and a lot of famous fans. And yet they can't find anyone with a really exciting pitch on how to take it in a fresh direction?

Maybe RTD made that pitch. But as good as his good Who was, his bad Who was intensely irritating. Moffat was more my taste, especially for weaker episodes.

Except Space Egg, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...