rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

1 hour ago, deKay said:

The Pandorica stuff was one of the worst bits of Doctor Who since it came back. Such utter bollocks nonsense and a new big bang? No.

Season 5 is the only one that  really nails Moffat's version of Doctor Who as a "dark fairy tale". Both parts of the finale are great, IMO. 

• Upvote 6

57 minutes ago, Flub said:

I've just been watching this set of Doctor Who trailers. It's weird looking back at the older ones and seeing how they've aged and then bang. Moffat shows up driving it like he stole it and the entire athestic of the show gets super modern.

Blimey. Time flies. That Ecclestone trailer feels like yesterday.

I'd almost forgotten about Capaldi's Dr. The second season with Pearl was decent.

It's difficult to feel angry for any length of time - a lot of the 10th Doctor episodes were boring when we only had one to watch per week, but David Tennant is considered by many to be the best Doctor of the modern era. and we try to forget the awful episodes. We're annoyed by the episode now, but I expect the RLLMUK collective will just see it as as an opportunity to create new stories and try to forget the details in future years.

YouTube seemed to know how I would react to the episode in advance, and recommended a video on the changeover that occurred at the end of Troughton era/start of the Pertwee era, when The Doctor explicitly described himself as an alien, rather than just a human living outside his own time.

Aye, I loved the early Moffat stuff. 

I've not bothered with this new series after disliking the last one. Reading a few replies in here, it seems I made a wise choice? I might just wait until the Chibnall run is over and start again. It's a real shame, because I liked Jodie Whittaker in the role, but last series the stories were just awful and I can't muster any enthusiasm to watch any more of that. 

3 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Blimey. Time flies. That Ecclestone trailer feels like yesterday.

I'd almost forgotten about Capaldi's Dr. The second season with Pearl was decent.

The season with Pearl was his third. I liked that one, but I think I prefer Capaldi's actual second season with all the two parters. There's no stories I think are particularly weak, unlike most series. Except maybe Hell Bent. 

Tennant looks insanely young in his first series. But what got me was Day of The Doctor was 7 years ago. 

12 minutes ago, kensei said:

Season 5 is the only one that  really nails Moffat's version of Doctor Who as a "dark fairy tale". Both parts of the finale are great, IMO. 

The one thing I don't like about Matt Smith's Doctor* is that he settles on a Boris Johnson-lite impersonation in later years.

* at this point in time, at least

16 hours ago, kensei said:

There's no stories I think are particularly weak, unlike most series. 

Sleep no More says hello

19 hours ago, kensei said:

Except maybe Hell Bent. 

I haven't rewatched it since broadcast but I've never been quite sure why people object to that so much. OK, it comes right after Heaven Sent, so it's bound to look like a step down in comparison.

But there's a contingent of fans who seem to view it like the worst thing Moffat has ever done, and I'm not sure why. For undermining Clara's fate in Face the Raven? For presenting Gallifrey and the Time Lords negatively, after the Doctor spent all that time hoping to find them again? For being critical of RTD's memory-wipe of Donna?

From memory I think people were expecting some big reveal of The Hybrid and it kind of skirted around it, provided a few possible options, didn't really commit to any of them then ignored it completely. I thought it was brilliant, Moffat actively trolling the fans.

The best interpretation I've seen of Hell Bent is that everything we've seen on 50 years of Doctor Who has actually been Clara's story, she's the real star of the show, the Doctor's a bit part and we've just watched the prologue :D  No wonder everyone hates it.

I need to watch it again I think. I loved season 9 - thought 8 was a complete misstep but this made up for it in spades.

Andrew Ellard rewrites Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways in the style of The Timeless Children:

Cliffhanger:

My favourite one:

Spoiler

• Upvote 7

I've recently watched a couple of Eccleston episodes and they really are rather good.  Still shed a tear in the finale when Rose explains to her Mum that she met her dad etc.  

• Upvote 1

That whole series is very special and Eccleston is brilliant throughout. They threw everything at the wall for that series and it's great.

On 15/03/2020 at 14:20, Gordzilla said:

I've recently watched a couple of Eccleston episodes and they really are rather good.  Still shed a tear in the finale when Rose explains to her Mum that she met her dad etc.  

Ecclestone is the best regen of the new series by miles. About 2 minutes at the end finished with

"Rose, before I go, you were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. And do you know what... So was I!" 

Perfect tone. All the rest have been various levels of overwrought with the need for a big speech because a regen is now An Event. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kensei said:

Ecclestone is the best regen of the new series by miles. About 2 minutes at the end finished with

"Rose, before I go, you were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. And do you know what... So was I!" 

Perfect tone. All the rest have been various levels of overwrought with the need for a big speech because a regen is now An Event. 

A regen was always an event though. 

Always a special moment to me since I watched Tom become Peter. 

I won't talk about Colin in Sylv obviously. 

Thoroughly enjoying The Doctors series on Amazon Prime. Well worth any fan of the classic shows time and its lovely to see interviews with so many of the cast who have died. 

• Upvote 1

Ecclestone was excellent I. No that scene. Nailed the forever cheeriness of someone trying to make things seem okay while they’re bricking it inside.

Much better than the self indulgent wankfests that followed.

• Upvote 1

Fans are doing a Day of the Doctor rewatch tonight at 7pm. And Steven Moffat's written something for it:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-03-21/steven-moffat-new-doctor-who/

RadioTimes.com can exclusively reveal that Moffat has penned a brand-new short Doctor Who scene to reintroduce the anniversary special to fans, featuring a “much-loved Doctor Who character” (yet to be revealed) and set to be released online at 6.30pm GMT on Saturday 21st March, half an hour before the Day of the Doctor rewatch at 7.00pm.

“Seeing as we’re all stuck in self-isolation with nothing to do, and given so many fans have got engaged with this now-global Day of the Doctor rewatch party, I thought it might be fun to create a new introduction video, inspired by the one which was shown in cinemas [below] before the Anniversary Special was simulcast in 2013!” Doctor Who Magazine’s Emily Cook (who first organised the rewatch) told RadioTimes.com.

And he's temporarily rejoined Twitter to join in:

Which character is it going to be? Unless it's just text or audio, it can't be someone who needs elaborate make up (so won't be Vastra or Strax), and it's probably someone who appeared in Day of the Doctor. So I'm going to guess Osgood.

RTD's going to do a similar live tweet event, for the 15th anniversary of Rose on Thursday 26th. Along with Rose: The Prequel, "a lost piece of history from the 50th anniversary year":

So I subbed to BritBox to fill my historical Dr Who boots. Watched off arcs in the past but wondering where to really start bearing in mind I watched a few ‘troughtons’ and found them pretty hard going. 

If I jumped in at Tom Baker would that be a good point to get going or is it entirely down to what you grew up with? Is there a point when the stories and visuals meshed to give a big boost in overall quality?

@Yiggy Elizabeth Sandifer recently did some Twitter threads of recommendations:

Let's begin with a "so you've only seen the new series" starter pack. These are all stone cold classic stories, beloved by traditionalist and weirdo fans alike. 

More or less one per Doctor, starting with William Hartnell in The Time Meddler, from Season Two. Don't read anything about this one. Just go in blind, let it happen, and know that every single reveal is something that had never been done before. 

A lot of Patrick Troughton is missing, but nobody has a bad word to say about The Mind Robber in Season Six. The TARDIS gets stuck in the Land of Fiction. Weird and inventive, especially when production problems flare up. Just watch what they do when the companion gets the flu. 

Jon Pertwee's most iconic stories are the ones set on Earth, but his best one is Carnival of Monsters in Season Ten. The classic series' best writer, Robert Holmes, does the sorts of things only he can in a wicked satire with... let's call them jaw-dropping costumes. 

Tom Baker had a very long run, so let's give him two stories. First, because it came up in The Timeless Children (and Series 9), The Brain of Morbius in S12. Doctor Who does Frankenstein as only it can. Robert Holmes rewriting the equally good Terrance Dicks. Genuinely perfect. 

Then jump ahead to Season 17 and watch City of Death. More or less written by Douglas Adams of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame, it's hilarious and clever. Art forgery, ancient aliens, private investigators, and one of the best TARDIS teams ever. 

Peter Davison's run is frightfully uneven, but everyone loves Season 21's The Caves of Androzani. It's his regeneration story, once again by Robert Holmes. Watch it to see what the new series is trying to do every time it attempts a big, gritty thriller, but can never quite match 

If you thought Davison was uneven, just wait for Colin Baker, the most misconceived era of Doctor Who ever. Still, there are highlights. Like Season 22's Vengeance on Varos, a furious satire of media violence. The cliffhanger on Part One is one of the best the series ever does. 

And finally, Sylvester McCoy. I haven't given you any Daleks yet, so let's do Season 25's Remembrance of the Daleks. Political consciousness, ancient Gallifreyan mysteries, and one of the best companions ever beating the shit out of a Dalek with a baseball bat. Wicked. 

I'll throw out another thread later for people who have seen some but not all of the classic series, directing them towards some of the more outre highlights. 

From Hartnell, let's check out The Rescue in Season 2. The first new companion introduction ever, this is a two part character piece by the best writer of the 1960s, David Whitaker. Utterly delightful and showcasing the best of 1960s Doctor Who. 

Troughton... god, Britbox really does leave out a lot of good stuff there. But off in Season 6 is The Krotons, the first story by Robert Holmes. He starts out brilliant and only improves. This is one of the best "the kids are all right" stories of the 1960s. 

For Pertwee, look at Season 7 and The Ambassadors of Death. David Whitaker rewritten by Malcolm Hulke, this is a thoughtful thriller that doesn't go where you expect, belonging to a weird transitional period of Doctor Who where it didn't know what it was either. A real treat. 

Everyone talks about The Robots of Death, but The Face of Evil, also from Season 14, sees the same writer giving Tom Baker a strange and surprising encounter with a tribe of savages. Full of bonkers ideas and even more bonkers hats. 

Later in Tom Baker, meanwhile, check out the Season 16 premiere, The Ribos Operation. This is one of my all-time favorite stories—a classic of new wave SF to stand alongside Moorcock, Ellison, Ballard, and LeGuin. Some of Robert Holmes's best characters. Binro the Heretic. Watch. 

For Peter Davison, take a gander at Frontios in Season 21. A gripping, tense story that breaks a bunch of rules and offers a couple of the most "what the fuck" visuals of the series. A compromise among very different tones that works wonders. This should be an agreed classic. 

Gosh, Colin Baker is hard to pick for. Let's be perverse. The Mark of the Rani is a *fucking trainwreck*. But a more stylistically distinctive trainwreck you will never see. Everyone knows exactly what sort of show they want to make. Nobody knows why they wanted to do this. 

As for McCoy, it can only be Season 24's Paradise Towers. One of the most maligned Doctor Who stories in existence, where it should be recognized as an all-time classic. Utterly batshit. A children's panto J.G. Ballard adaptation. You've never seen anything like it. I promise. 

And one bonus, because Sylvester McCoy is just that good. Ghost Light. Season 26. A strange and surreal labyrinth of big ideas. Three episodes that feel heavier than most six-parters. The Doctor fights a mad demiurge about evolution in a haunted house. Sheer, mad poetry. 

Not going one per Doctor this time. Let’s just capture some of the most bafflingly wonderful television ever. 

Season Two: The Web Planet. A story with no human characters besides the TARDIS crew that tries more than any other story to portray an alien landscape as alien. On a 1960s BBC budget. In a tiny television studio. It’s the most WTF of WTF stories. I love it. 

Let’s also point out The Gunfighters in Season Three. A pure historical. With a singalong running through it. And British actors attempting to do American accents. Supposedly the worst Doctor Who story ever. Actually one of the best. 

The most WTF of Troughton stories aren’t on Britbox, but if you’ve never seen the main reveal of the Enemy of the World then you’re missing out. Otherwise, go grab the animated version of The Macra Terror if you really want some WTF. 

There’s a lot of WTF in Pertwee. You’ve probably seen The Curse of Peladon in Season Nine. (Though if you haven’t, it’s one that everybody enjoys.) Have you seen The Claws of Axos in Season Eight though? Glam Rock Overdrive. It could only happen in 1971. 

Also check out The Mutants in Season Nine. An overstuffed glam rock mess with some of the most amazingly questionable effects and acting ever. Or, if you really want it inexplicable and of questionable quality, The Time Monster. Hard to like, easy to love. 

Tom Baker... well, there’s always The Sunmakers, which sees Robert Holmes attempt to complain about his taxes an accidentally write a Marxist parable. 

But you should also have a look at The Pirate Planet, which sees Douglas Adams not managing to be nearly as magnificent as City of Death, but still managing to be incomparable. 

And then there’s Season Seventeen, which Adams script-edited, to mixed results. The Creature From the Pit and the Horns of Nimon feature the most consistently and beautifully questionable decisions. Creature is better, Nimon is... yeah. 

Peter Davison... gosh. A certain lack of quality batshit there. But if you’ve never seen his debut, Castrovalva... gosh. That one’s a trip. Absolutely bursting with ideas. 

Let’s go ahead and skip Colin Baker. But Sylvester McCoy, gosh. Delta and the Bannermen is one of the most idiosyncratic things ever put together—a story made up of strange parts that combine even more strangely. 

But obviously I have to end this with The Happiness Patrol. At first you’ll think it’s a pretty normal dystopian parable. And then... well... you’ll find out. 

• Upvote 7

That's really good actually. It's typically reset buttony, as it's RTD after all, but the depiction of the Time War sounds much cooler than what we ended up seeing in Day of the Doctor.

On 25/03/2020 at 15:39, Yiggy said:

Thanks so much @Nick R that gives me a really good starting point. 

it does, but I hardly agree with any of it. I guess that’s the beauty of classic Who. But here’s what the recommendations should have been:

William  Hartnell - An Unearthly Child. This is a must see. It’s the first goddam story and it’s still as intriguing and mysterious as ever. 

Patrick Troughton - Tomb of the Cybermen. When Cybermen were actually creepy. YOUUUUU....WIIIIILLLL...BEEEE....LIIIIKE...USSSSSSS....

Jon Pertwee - Inferno. Genuinely gripping thriller with a brilliant gear change that puts a different spin on much-loved regulars

Tom Baker - Hard to go wrong, but it has to be Robots of Death. I showed this to a Who noob recently and they were gripped throughout. If you also want to see how far they pushed the Horror in the 70’s, try Image of the Fendahl or Horror of Fang Rock

Peter Davidson - Yeah, Caves of Androzani is the one. It’s probably the best Who story of all time. But I also love Kinda, a creepy stage play full of unforgettable performances and imagery

Colin Baker - None. They are all shite.

Sylvester McCoy - Ghost Light. It’s a bit Am dram, but it is the most spooky and interesting story of this era

• Upvote 4

I'd go with Vengeance on Varos for Colin Baker. It's alright.

As for McCoy I'd put The Curse of Fenric above Ghost Light. If nothing else you don't need to read an explanation to figure out what the hell's going on. :D

• Upvote 2

It's not always well-liked but I adore Battlefield, flaws and all. Oh Shame!

(I'm a sucker for that whole era of McCoy though)

Agree on Vengeance on Varos. The end of part 1 really is one of the best Who cliffhangers.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I'd go with Vengeance on Varos for Colin Baker. It's alright.

As for McCoy I'd put The Curse of Fenric above Ghost Light. If nothing else you don't need to read an explanation to figure out what the hell's going on. :D

100% Fenric man. Ghost light is just too weird and I still love that too. 

Basically McCoy was fucking fantastic and one of the best Doctors we got. 

I'll even stand my ground and fight to the death to defend Happiness patrol and Paradise Towers. 

• Upvote 1