I thought that was surprisingly good, compared to the low expectations I went in with. My only real disappointment is that they didn’t go all in with the “police Daleks” and give them red and blue lights on their heads. A few Dalek-voiced ‘ELLO ‘ELLO ‘ELLOs and LET’S BE ‘AVING YOUs wouldn’t have gone amiss either.

Having said that, I’ve forgotten virtually everything that’s happened in the recent series and so I couldn’t remember:

- whether the intro bit when they defeated the Dalek in GCHQ was from a previous episode or not.

- why the Doctor was doing space porridge.

- Ryan’s name until it was mentioned towards the end of the episode.

Christmas episodes are usually a bit ropey though and this was far from the worst.

Tedious, long, basil exposition, "let's all sit down and discuss our emotions" it now takes four minute for a time machine to travel from Sheffield to Osaka so we can talk about the plot, oh some people are going, who cares, police procedure, dull, tedious shit.

Half way through I realised they were talking about the timeless child and for the life of me couldn't remember a single thing about it. "Where was the other female doctor, is she in this?" I kept thinking. 

Then John Barrowan arrived to save the day after smuggling a time machine into a prison up his arse. 

Jesus wept. 

It was seriously unhelpful to have so many callbacks to past events in a standalone episode, so long after the regular series ended. Oh right, the fam has met Captain Jack before, something about a lone cybermaaan, yeah, I guess I kinda remember something about that??? No idea what actually happened though. And then near the end an aside to ancient history, TORCHWOOD of all things! Well, at least it was one of the few references my brain could be arsed to recognise.

But what was that at the end - a setup for a new spinoff, The Ryan & Grandad Adventures? Yes please.

It was good to see it back though and I did like what they'd done with the Dalek designs. And it's still better than Star Trek Discovery :lol:

7 hours ago, Huz said:

Also did anyone watch it in UHD and did it look any good?

It was a bit dark, murky yellow for me. I switched to the non-HDR version. But my cheap Sammy is a bit rubbish for some HDR.

The last time the Doctor met Gwen Cooper was when the Daleks moved Earth across the galaxy  - yet no one here seems to recognise a Dalek? In an episode that, as Huz said, was full of callbacks?

(I did quite enjoy the episode, but I'm a nerd for Dalek civil wars and I loved the idea of a Dalek enforcement squad. Gutted that Bradders is gone tho. )

17 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

The last time the Doctor met Gwen Cooper was when the Daleks moved Earth across the galaxy  - yet no one here seems to recognise a Dalek? In an episode that, as Huz said, was full of callbacks?

Can't remember if it was ever explicitly stated in the series, but the fans' explanation is that the cracks in the universe/restarting the Big Bang storyline in Matt Smith's first series wiped the Earth invasions and other alien contact from history (or at least from the general public's memories).

A convenient excuse for the writers to pick and choose which events of previous episodes they wanted to use or ignore!

From Amy's first encounter with one in Victory of the Daleks:

DOCTOR: Amy, tell him.

AMY: Tell him what?

DOCTOR: About the Daleks.

AMY: What would I know about the Daleks?

DOCTOR: Everything. They invaded your world, remember? Planets in the sky. You don't forget that. Amy, tell me you remember the Daleks.

AMY: No, sorry.

DOCTOR: That's not possible.

Yeah, but I always thought that restarting the universe in The Big Bang restored everything lost through the cracks, hence Rory being human and Amy's parents being returned. Besides, if that event had been wiped then technically Gwen wouldn't even remember the Doctor? It just seems odd to reference that particular story but then not mention the most glaring thing about it. 

Chibbers. 

This was just a waste of an episode almost like a right lets clean up the mess we have created.

Spoiler

ok how do we get rid of the shite new dalek design ok have other daleks wipe them out, ok we now have to two tardis ok lets destroy one.

It doesn't help that they have wiped the time line so much that they cant themselves remember  what they have got rid of or kept as new lore.    

The biggest problem is we have a weak written  dr (i think jodie is a great actress wasted in a really poorly written role), a such convoluted history now and a show that wants to focus more on the daily emotional issues of the companions that the awe and amzingness of traveling in time and space!

Ive been a huge Dr Who fan since i was a kid but the last two series, and now this new years special have left me not realy fussed about watching the next series coming later this year. (ah well at least i have Mando and the expanse  as two truley stunning shows to satisfy my tv sci-fi itch) 

on a side note torchwood miracle day happened after the big bang (Came out the following year i think) so that means the big bang didnt reset things just put them back to the way they should be before the 11th hour? if so then when did the earth reset itself again to a time when know one knows what a cyberman/dalek etc... are?

I was fine up until the point she destroyed the second Tardis. The show has literally made us aware previously (For those that didn't know) that a Tardis is a living and thinking being. Yes very very different to us and probably not existing in linear time but still a being. Even in the last episode the Doctor had kind words for the Tardis she used to escape Gallifrey.

Then she uses one to catch all the Daleks and kills it. That's a seventh Doctor dick move. Not something I expect from this one. Very, very lazy writing. Also the console room in the spare Tardis was far better than the regular one.

Just now, Flub said:

I was fine up until the point

Spoiler

she destroyed the second Tardis

. The show has literally made us aware previously (For those that didn't know) that a Tardis is a living and thinking being. Yes very very different to us and probably not existing in linear time but still a being. Even in the last episode the Doctor had kind words for the Tardis she used to escape Gallifrey.

T

Spoiler

hen she uses one to catch all the Daleks and kills it. That's a seventh Doctor dick move. Not something I expect from this one. Very, very lazy writing. Also the console room in the spare Tardis was far better than the regular one.

Cute. 

see, the edit and quote buttons HAVE been swapped or something

@Flubthought they were editing in spoiler tags, but as it turns out, on a quoted version, not the original.

The Doctor didn't actually 

Spoiler

destroy the second Tardis. It was set to "fold in on itself" and travel to the void, or something like that. Still seemed a bit shitty mind.

And yes, the cracks wiped everyone's memory of the Daleks. The Big Bang restored the universe, but not everything the cracks gobbled up. Basically it's a handy get out clause for the writers to do whatever they like.

Anyway, I thought this episode was very forgettable. 

Spoiler

The setup was decent enough, and I liked the scenes with the Dalek mutants. The attack on Jack and Yasmin was quite well done.

Jack was fun, and I liked his chat with Yasmin as well. I thought they'd end up using his immortality as part of the plan to stop the Daleks, seeing as they made a point of bringing it up, but apparently not.

Speaking of which, the resolution to the episode was complete nonsense. The Doctor deals with the Daleks by... calling a whole ship full of other Daleks to fight the first lot. Then she deals with the new Daleks by tricking them into a spare Tardis which sends off to the void. That's hardly a nice thing to do to the Tardis, like I said earlier, but if she's going to do that then why not just deal with the first lot that way?

Graham and Ryan's exit was badly done too. It didn't help that they've had precious little character development in their run, but they could at least have done more this episode to give it weight. Ryan's friends need him apparently. You know, those friends of his! And he's going to solve all the world's problems I guess. Let's all have a big hug. Maybe bringing things down to two companions in the new series will allow for a bit more character development.

Oh, and everyone was miserable apart from Jack. Cheer up!

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Cute. 

see, the edit and quote buttons HAVE been swapped or something

@Flubthought they were editing in spoiler tags, but as it turns out, on a quoted version, not the original.

Nah. I think that's on me. I originally posted it unspoilered by mistake and did a botch job of the editing in a hurry before anyone got spoiled.

I thought that was dreadful and fucking hell, it was criminally unoriginal.

Spoiler

Daleks take advantage of naive humans to take control

Ambitious greedy American sees profit in Dalek weaponry

The mention of The Doctor sends the Daleks into the kind of meltdown my kids would have if we turned off the wifi at home

Yay - another British PM! Oh... if only Tory PM press conferences ended like that 

Alien thing possesses human by jumping on it's back 

Yawn yawn fucking yawn

As well as the total lack of imagination, the acting was pretty dreadful (particularly poor Ryan and whoever the fuck was playing Donald Trump) with one of the limpest scripts in recent memory.

I'll never stop watching the show as I've loved it my entire life, but I'll be absolutely delighted when Chibnall hands over the gauntlet to someone else because I don't think it's working at all.  Jodie Whittaker is criminally underused. Doctor Who should NEVER be boring and as unoriginal as that - that's a crime and I can only deduce that's the reason The Doctor was doing time at the beginning of the episode. 

I thought the basic plot held some fairly decent ideas but the script felt like a first draft. 

The acting was terrible. 

It was better than some of the other Xmas specials we've had though. 

On 02/01/2021 at 10:06, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I haven’t watched Doctor Who since they criminally under used Capaldi.

Sounds like I need to wait for another regeneration. 

Tragically if today's rumours are to believed Whittaker might be going and Chibnall staying. So you'll have to wait for two regens at least...

Thought the ep was meh, which was 100 miles better than I thought it would be after the terrible adverts.

Quite liked the monotony of the space jail scenes, thought the resolution to that was cheap as chips simplistic. Everything had been done better before or at least before. Having Daleks fight was done in Manhattan but that was also TERRIBLE so... At least it was a little better than that?

Since the very first scene of the first series (the solution to falling from lower earth orbit is to land on a nice, soft train) I've been astounded that no one's called Chibnall out for his inability to write Who. I mean lots of people have, but how on Earth does he still have a job?? 

Still hoping for better things, thought the ep was ok. Still don't think Whittaker can hold a candle to other actors who just steal the screen every time they appear. Tbh, since the Dr appears to be able to borrow a face, I'd have been more happy with Michelle Gomez as the Dr as a weird hybrid. As it is we've got the Cbeebies Mrs Bean playing an interstellar youth worker*.

Oh I miss the Smith and Capaldi years. 

(*I was a youth worker for 10 years but even so I'll use the comparison).

Whole bunch of shit that didn't make sense - in particular, the Doctor going "ner ner ner" from the Tardis doorway is enough for ***every single remaining Dalek*** to immediately jam itself through the Tardis door without a moment's thought? The most effective killing machines in the universe, there.

12 hours ago, c-cat114 said:

Still hoping for better things, thought the ep was ok. Still don't think Whittaker can hold a candle to other actors who just steal the screen every time they appear. Tbh, since the Dr appears to be able to borrow a face, I'd have been more happy with Michelle Gomez as the Dr as a weird hybrid. As it is we've got the Cbeebies Mrs Bean playing an interstellar youth worker*.

I still think Whittaker's fine in the role, she's energetic and charismatic and clearly bases her portrayal on Tennant which isn't a bad thing. It's the writing that's always been the problem, she's been given nothing distinctive to work with apart from "builds stuff out of other stuff" and the portrayal of the Doctor's morality under Chibnall has been problematic to say the least.

She's no Matt Smith - whose Doctor was distinctive enough to make the show watchable even when Moffat's writing went off the boil, especially in season 7 - but she's a perfectly fine mainstream Doctor who deserves better than she's been given.

If the current rumours are true, and she goes but Chibnall stays, it'll be a travesty.

Yeah, I feel like Whittaker hasn't been given a chance to really shine. Both Mofatt and RTD had their flaws as showrunners, but they also had some huge strengths to lean on that made their runs distinctive. Chibnall's run has just been a bit forgettable.

I'd consider myself a big fan of new Who, so it's saying something that I had to look up the names of the current companions before watching the special.

It really does feel like the Colin Baker years part 2 now. A Doctor who could deliver so much more if they were able to, a writing team that doesn't seem to understand what they've got, rising public indifference, a weird obsession with obscure bits of continuity and constant messing around with the scheduling of the show. Time to give it a break for a few years maybe.