28 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think the current title theme is amazing though, but that's the only one that's stood out.

I liked the last season, especially that whole Judoon/mystery Doctor episode, The new Master was ace too, and it even looked pretty great at times. I'm really not sure about the whole Timeless Child thing though. The Doctor doesn't need to be the most important person in the universe, just a traveller helping out where they can, and opening the door to a billion new secret past Doctors is a bit much.

Anyway, I'm still really looking forward to the special. It's been a year after all. :D

I've listened to the first one and a half Eighth Doctor Time Lord Victorious audios now. The first was okay, and it was cool to hear a character from the novel. The second one, "The Enemy of my Enemy" however is brilliant so far, especially after watching Daleks!. :D 

I think the last series had some good individual moments and as you say the Master was great but it's the whole direction of the show at the moment that I really can't get on with. It's like Chibnall's happy to throw out any and all world-building and continuity from the RTD and Moffat eras in favour of clarifying some obscure bit of nerd-bait from the 1970s. The whole Timeless Child thing was the worst sort of "chosen one" bullshit and will no doubt lead to a massively complicated story arc explaining the Doctor's backstory that I won't care about in the slightest.

Please let's just get back to the Doctor and a companion landing in a different place each week and sorting out somebody's problems. That's all the show needs. It's all it's ever needed.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think the last series had some good individual moments and as you say the Master was great but it's the whole direction of the show at the moment that I really can't get on with. It's like Chibnall's happy to throw out any and all world-building and continuity from the RTD and Moffat eras in favour of clarifying some obscure bit of nerd-bait from the 1970s. The whole Timeless Child thing was the worst sort of "chosen one" bullshit and will no doubt lead to a massively complicated story arc explaining the Doctor's backstory that I won't care about in the slightest.

Please let's just get back to the Doctor and a companion landing in a different place each week and sorting out somebody's problems. That's all the show needs. It's all it's ever needed.

The thing is the timeless child stuff is so easily over written (oh you were in the matrix the whole time and the Master was bullshitting you).  I want to like Whittaker but the writing/direction just puts me off and still not managed a whole season.  Oh well at least it means there'll always be some new who I've not seen.

10 hours ago, davidcotton said:

The thing is the timeless child stuff is so easily over written (oh you were in the matrix the whole time and the Master was bullshitting you).  I want to like Whittaker but the writing/direction just puts me off and still not managed a whole season.  Oh well at least it means there'll always be some new who I've not seen.

Yeah. I kinda hope someone pulls Chibnall back before it goes to far down the rabbit hole that it can’t be saved by explaining it away as the Master lies.

Six episodes of series 12 are in the top ten of least watched episodes since the revived series began. If someone doesn’t fire Chibnall we’re probably heading for a long rest of Who again.

It's just got nothing to say, has it? With RTD and Moffat, for good or ill, you got the sense that there were stories they desperately wanted to tell in Doctor Who,  things they wanted to get across. This just doesn't really have anything. It's just like, 'oh, and this happened. And this. And this.'

I'm also...well. Not out. But with next to no interest. Jodie is dull, chibnall has turned out to be the most successful bad guy of all, the new Master is ok but not a patch on Missy. 

And the ad for the special looked like a Sarah Jane Cbeebies ep. The new Dalek looks awful. 

I've had a bad day and am a bit bluesy. But can't see any joy in new Who at the moment. The fam. Ugh. 

I'll still watch it but it's a sad indictment of the current state of the show that a Dr Who Christmas special featuring the Daleks doesn't make me ridiculously over excited.

The last 2 series really have left me feeling tired of the format, there's just so much 'meh' with it all - I had honestly forgotten all about the Timeless Child stuff until I read this thread just now.

12 hours ago, Ste_S said:

If someone doesn’t fire Chibnall we’re probably heading for a long rest of Who again.

I know Covid hasn't helped but the BBC are producing only eight episodes plus a special in a period of over two years, this show's barely even registering for most people now and those that are watching it are mostly indifferent to its current direction. I think it's only the casting of the show's first female Doctor that's really even kept it running. Once Jodie Whittaker goes I think it will be taking a long, long break.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I know Covid hasn't helped but the BBC are producing only eight episodes plus a special in a period of over two years, this show's barely even registering for most people now and those that are watching it are mostly indifferent to its current direction. I think it's only the casting of the show's first female Doctor that's really even kept it running. Once Jodie Whittaker goes I think it will be taking a long, long break.

Of course the BBC will blame covid for the situation obviously.  Still at least there's always Big Finish.  Of which I've heard virtually nothing this year as I tend to do most of my listening at work and I've not been in for about 5 months now for health reasons.

I'm always playing catch up with Big Finish. If there's one criticism I could make of them is that they release too much too often. There's so much Doctor Who audio stuff out there that I can never possibly get around to.

I had a bit of a BF binge this morning though, as it happens. The Enemy Of My Enemy was indeed great, and I can't wait to see where their TLV story goes from here. After that I listened to the first two parts of Ravenous 4, which were both excellent, and the conclusion "Day of the Master" looks ace. :D There's only Stranded 1 left after that before I'm finally up to date with the regular Eighth Doctor adventures, and then it's back to the Time War.

On 01/12/2020 at 12:01, Mogster said:

I'm always playing catch up with Big Finish. If there's one criticism I could make of them is that they release too much too often. There's so much Doctor Who audio stuff out there that I can never possibly get around to.

I had a bit of a BF binge this morning though, as it happens. The Enemy Of My Enemy was indeed great, and I can't wait to see where their TLV story goes from here. After that I listened to the first two parts of Ravenous 4, which were both excellent, and the conclusion "Day of the Master" looks ace. :D There's only Stranded 1 left after that before I'm finally up to date with the regular Eighth Doctor adventures, and then it's back to the Time War.

I miss the days of one release a month.  Something to look forward to and manageable listens.  Quite a few people say there is no time for a relisten to stuff now as there is just so much stuff coming out.  A quick count shows 9 (!) releases this month (not all Who, but still).  Fun fact.  Back in the day, Gary Russell (Producer before Briggs) reckoned they might get 23 releases out in total before the original license expired!

I got into Big Finish thanks to the Eighth Doctor stuff, and I'm still buying every release of those they put out. I tried to keep up with all the modern era stuff, but now I mostly just get the Tenth Doctor and Diary of River Song audios, along with all the Time War stuff.  

Even then I've got quite a big backlog though. I'd forgotten about the new Eighth Doctor and Lucie Miller box-set for a start, which I'm really looking forward to now. :D

Continuing down the Time Lord Victorious rabbit hole, I listened to the Minds of Magnox BBC audiobook today. It was very well done, with the narrator doing an at times uncanny impression of the Tenth Doctor and a good job with the other voices too. It was also backed up with well placed sound effects and voice filters, making for an experience closer to an audio play than a book.

It was a decent enough story, picking up a short time after The Knight, The Fool and The Dead novel but focussing more on The Doctor and Brian than it furthers the overall arc. It's maybe not essential as a result, but worth a listen all the same.

It is however the first TLV story that hasn't felt like it could stand alone, as it seemed to assume knowledge of The Knight, The Fool and The Dead and I'm not sure you'd get much out of it if you hadn't read that first.

Next up is the new Big Finish Eighth Doctor entry, Mutually Assured Destruction, which I've been rather looking forward to after the last one. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

All the way through that I was thinking “yeah it’s fucking terrible but if it had cheeky chappy  everyman scouser John Bishop in it it’d be a 5 star masterpiece.” 

Is that true?

Good news!

Absolute garbage as expected. An entirely meh episode with a couple of fams and an entire nation apathetically making it through the episode hungover as fuck from the night before.
Set fire to it and walk away for a few years pls.