rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

Up until the aliens turned up I'd have said it was possibly the best Historical Figure episode since Vincent and the Doctor.

After the Scorpion Queen arrived (very reminiscent of the spider empress from The Runaway Bride!), I struggled to buy the central idea that a spacefaring alien species would think that Tesla would be of any use to them at all as an engineer. (This sort of criticism is often there in the background when a famous person turns out to be vital to a Doctor Who alien's plan.) But I liked the way the episode contrasted Tesla's mind for innovation against the aliens' status as scavengers who don't invent anything (which have a parallel with Edison's depiction as a credit/patent thief).

It stuck out to me that Tesla, his assistant, and Edison were allowed to retain knowledge of their adventures, whereas just two episodes ago Ada Lovelace and Noor Inayat Khan had to have their memories wiped. I know that the norm in Doctor Who is to handle it the way this episode did, and it's not something I usually question. But as Spyfall Part 2 was so recent, the difference jumped out at me.

It’s probably just me but I’m finding the sound mix in recent episodes really off-putting. Music seems to be ridiculously loud and dialogue really quiet. Not that it really matters, the story telling this season has been pretty poor so far.

Well that was a lot better.

Sound mix was fine here. Maybe check if you’ve got your surround/stereo set up correctly?

13 hours ago, jcafarley said:

It’s probably just me but I’m finding the sound mix in recent episodes really off-putting. Music seems to be ridiculously loud and dialogue really quiet. Not that it really matters, the story telling this season has been pretty poor so far.

It's certainly not deafening like it used to be. But I'm finding the music to be a bit poor and out of place, so I'm noticing it more. It's not terrible music, just a bit lazily applied.

I'm clearly swimming against the current here but I disliked the episode. The Scorpion Queen just didn't work for me - the hissing, shouty voice limited proper conversation  with the rest of the cast, and the OTT performance didn't fit with her goal as someone trying to hide from the wider population. I felt terribly sorry for Anjli Mohindra, who must have gone home with a sore throat every day during filming. Given Tesla's Mars connection, I'm not sure why they didn't go for the more obvious choice of her being an Ice Warrior who somehow reached Earth, woke up in the 19th century, and is calmly manipulating inventors, the patent office, and assassins for hire to get the components and skills she needs to construct a ship and get home.

Plus, they missed an opportunity to play the Dr Who theme tune using Teslo coils!

I thought the episode was good in spite of the scorpion queen, who was pantomime levels of silly. The rest of the scorpion things were pretty cool though, and really freaked out my wife who's not a fan of anything with more than six legs. Much better than last week anyway!

The normal scorpions were brilliant apart from the fact that they turned into the Keystone Cops every time they went round a corner.

• Upvote 1

Away from the TV series, there was a Dr Who event at the Space Centre in Leicester today so we went along for a family day out. Great fun - lifetime dream of meeting Davros achieved!! 

The kids really enjoyed it too! 

20200125_142419.jpg

20200125_120305.jpg

20200125_143738.jpg

20200125_114928.jpg

• Upvote 8

24 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Away from the TV series, there was a Dr Who event at the Space Centre in Leicester today so we went along for a family day out. Great fun - lifetime dream of meeting Davros achieved!! 

20200125_142419.jpg

20200125_120305.jpg

20200125_143738.jpg

20200125_114928.jpg

Your tall kid with the beard seemed to enjoy it the most!

• Upvote 7

Holy shit.

That was literally the single best episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Gave me some real Virgin NA vibes.

Watch the episode ASAP. Avoid spoilers at all costs

• Upvote 3

I don't even know where to start. I don't even want to put my thoughts into spoilers yet in case someone accidentaly reads them before they see the episode.

On 25/01/2020 at 18:41, Boothjan said:

20200125_142419.jpg

20200125_120305.jpg

20200125_143738.jpg

20200125_114928.jpg

Last year Davros told my kids they should stay in school and learn else they’ll never be a match for his intellect. It was a really nice touch, had me and my buddy chuckling like idiots...then we noticed his dalek guard had surrounded us and raised their plungers in our direction.

• Upvote 1

Expected that to just be a simple episode rehashing "Smith & Jones" (humans get caught up in the Judoon's pursuit of a monster of the week), but it turned out to be a lot more interesting.

Spoiler

Finally we have a series arc on our hands!

That makes two good episodes in a row! Did the bring back Steven Moffat to help out behind the scenes? :eyebrows:

Regarding a particular date that was mentioned in the episode...

Spoiler

Ruth said she moved to Gloucester in December 1999... I haven't seen the 1996 TV movie, but wasn't that a Master story set around New Year's Eve 1999?

I kind of love the way Chibnall played it so determinedly safe last season and now appears to have gone completely insane. That was fantastic. 

28 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Expected that to just be a simple episode rehashing "Smith & Jones" (humans get caught up in the Judoon's pursuit of a monster of the week), but it turned out to be a lot more interesting.

Hide contents

Finally we have a series arc on our hands!

That makes two good episodes in a row! Did the bring back Steven Moffat to help out behind the scenes? :eyebrows:

Regarding a particular date that was mentioned in the episode...

Hide contents

Ruth said she moved to Gloucester in December 1999... I haven't seen the 1996 TV movie, but wasn't that a Master story set around New Year's Eve 1999?

Yes!