1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/over-100-doctor-who-audio-dramas-free-to-stream-on-spotify-3467171

As link really.  Spotify have got a load of free big finish doctor who stuff up.  Links in the post.  Check out Chimes of Midnight if you haven't.

Eighth doctor adventures are great. They are the ones with Sheridan Smith as the companions and got me into these.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice The National Theatre are busy promoting their previous-recorded plays, including a 2012 production of Antigone that features Christopher Ecclestone and Jodie Whittaker. The trailer is a bit rubbish, only showing the back of Ecclescake's head, but it's probably the nearest thing we'll get to a 9th and 13th Doctor team-up.

• 4 weeks later...

So, the latest season. I'm a bit late to the party, but what the fuck was that shit?

Come back, Moffat, all is forgiven. Except for Clara. Fuck Clara.

Anyway, I've been watching the old seasons at work. Today I finished off Season 8 - "The Daemons" or whatever it was called. It's all dodgy as fuck and I still just can't get away with Pertwee, but it's an oddly addictive little show by that point, and of course Roger Delgado's Master is the greatest casting ever. In 'Colony in Space' when they say the Adjudicator had arrived, I thought, "I'll fucking laugh if it's The Master." Lo and behold!

I really miss Troughton's Doctor, though. They got the whole companions thing just right with the Zoey/Jamie combo, and it was a bloody shame to see them go.

Still, can't knock Brigadier and his minions. He's a bit of a git, but him and Pertwee play off each other well. Jo's pretty boring, though.

I'm up to Season 9 now. Day of the Daleks was alright - and the job that was done to beef up the effects is actually bloody good!

Then it all turns to shit with Curse of Peladon. Oh my god. I've never been so bored in my entire life. Felt like a leftover Hartnell-era script with super-cheap sets and monsters. Nothing at all works in it.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

I'm up to Season 9 now. Day of the Daleks was alright - and the job that was done to beef up the effects is actually bloody good!

Then it all turns to shit with Curse of Peladon. Oh my god. I've never been so bored in my entire life. Felt like a leftover Hartnell-era script with super-cheap sets and monsters. Nothing at all works in it.

It's an action-adventure thrillride next to the snooze fest that is The Monster Of Peladon, which is at least 287 episodes long.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SeanR said:

pretty amazing, considering...

Wasn’t his main issue his working relationship with RTD which, in his eyes, completely broke down.  If he’s not involved in this then that might be why he’s back.

17 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Wasn’t his main issue his working relationship with RTD which, in his eyes, completely broke down.  If he’s not involved in this then that might be why he’s back.

they're on their 2nd show runner since RTD... he could have come back for Moffat or Chibnall.

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

I read an interview where he was talking about "members of the production crew" being the issue. Was it really RTD himself?

16 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I read an interview where he was talking about "members of the production crew" being the issue. Was it really RTD himself?

7 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

He'd previously done 'The Second Coming' with RTD.

Yes, the fact that he and RTD had worked so well together on that series is why it was a shame to learn that their relationship broke down while making Doctor Who:

2010: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10312426

"I was open-minded but I decided after my experience on the first series that I didn't want to do any more," he said.

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in.

"I thought if I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong."

2018: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-03-19/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-russell-t-davies/

“My relationship with my three immediate superiors – the showrunner, the producer and co-producer – broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered,” Eccleston says in the latest issue of Radio Times.

[...]

In the interview, Eccleston goes on to reveal why he’s only elected to speak on the subject in recent months, with the Salford-born actor suggesting he’d made an agreement not to “damage” the reputation of the series.

“When I left, I gave my word to [then-showrunner] Russell T Davies that I wouldn’t do anything to damage the show,” he says. “But they did things to damage me. I didn’t criticise anybody.”

Asked if Davies was aware of the issues, Eccleston says, “If you’re the showrunner, you know everything. That’s your job,” adding that he “never will have” a working relationship with the screenwriter again.

2019: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/why-christopher-eccleston-left-doctor-who/

“I left because my relationship with the showrunner and the producer broke down,” Eccleston said. “[I left because of] the politics of the show. I left only because of those three individuals and the way they were running the show. I loved playing the character, and I loved the world … I felt, ‘I’m gonna play the Doctor my way and I’m not gonna get involved in these politics,’ and that wasn’t workable, so off I went… and became the invisible man.”

At the time, Russell T. Davies was acting as showrunner, with Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson serving as executive producers.

I've just finished reading Eccleston's autobiography and he says how much he loved the role, despite the 'politics' of making the show that made him quit, so I'm not that surprised to see him return to the Whoniverse, even if it is just BF audio productions.

Amazing read btw - thoroughly recommended.