rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Blimey. New Star Wars and Doctor Who weeks apart.

I hope Bradley Walsh gets to meet more intergalactic bus drivers this series.

Shame Ken Dodd isn't still around :P

The return will be a two-parter (though apparently not both parts shown together) and supposed to be the biggest and most ambitious episode they've done. Named Spyfall, you can probably guess the general theme. Lots of stunts and locations, more like a globe-trotting action thriller movie than an episode.

On 24/11/2019 at 05:52, Garwoofoo said:

This is basically it. The last series had a lot going for it, on the face of it - it looked tremendous, was ambitious in many ways, and I thought Jodie Whittaker was great - but the writing absolutely sucked pretty much throughout. With the exception of the Rosa Parks episode,

I'm going to have to stop you right there. The Rosa Parks episode could have been one of the all times greats except...well....that ending.

The talk about her achievements and her bravery all leading to this wondrous future of

a dead rock being named after her. I mean what the actual fuck. The Tardis doors open and you expect to see this amazing vision of a multi-cultural utopia, but now. Tada! Here's a dead rock they named after her.

I've ranted about this before, there were a couple of episodes that would have been far better closing ten minutes early and a whole lot that would have been better off not being screened at all. My expectations are pretty low, wife and I haven't even finished the last season over a year later.

10 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

My expectations are pretty low, wife and I haven't even finished the last season over a year later.

Please try and at least watch It Takes You Away (by far the best episode of the series, and the ending was one of its best bits). After that, The Witchfinders was probably the second best of the latter half of the series.

Skip the finale and the New Year special.

It really irritates me that I said “ohhh!” out loud following the reveal at the end.

• Upvote 1

I loved that. The monsters were cool, and I really didn't see that ending coming. It's a good job there's only a few days until part 2. :D

Well that was great. Actual energy and enthusiasm from everyone and a fantastic reveal. Compared to last year’s deathly New Year’s special it’s like a different show. 

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed that immensely. The last few minutes put a big smile on my face, enjoyed it immensely. I watched in iPlayer so not sure, was there a "this series on doctor who" type trailer afterwards? Saw the one for the next episode.

Spoiler

This made me laugh:

Also if anyone's looking for an overarching generalisation to criticise Chibnall's writing (specifically how often this Doctor seems unsure of things), here's a theory:

• Upvote 1

At the reveal I wasn’t sure about Sacha Dhawan playing the Master. Then however he bought a Tissue Compression Eliminator victim out in matchbox whilst giggling and I was sold. The TCE in the original run gave me nightmares as a kid 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ste_S said:

Hide contents

At the reveal I wasn’t sure about Sacha Dhawan playing the Master. Then however he bought a Tissue Compression Eliminator victim out in matchbox whilst giggling and I was sold. The TCE in the original run gave me nightmares as a kid 

Best bit of the ep for me. For this exact reason. 

Well I'm half way through the new episode and it's the best Who in ages. A completely different show from the last series. Have they got in a new producer or something? Combination of humour and dread makes it feel like a cross between Davies' show and Lucio Fulci.

7 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Hide contents

And then just casually tossed it aside...

20 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Well I'm half way through the new episode and it's the best Who in ages. A completely different show from the last series. Have they got in a new producer or something? Combination of humour and dread makes it feel like a cross between Davies' show and Lucio Fulci.

Have they gotten rid of the most bland music person in the universe yet? Last season had me yearning for more Murray Gold. I thought I'd gone mad.

I don’t remember. In the previous incarnation, what reason was given for why 

Spoiler

Missy couldn’t return

?

Oh, and this episode was great.

(Even if the bomb was just an old Asus motherboard with an LED clock on it)

11 hours ago, deKay said:

In the previous incarnation, what reason was given for why...?

Spoiler

John Simm killed her at the end of that cyberman story didn't he?

51 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Hide contents

John Simm killed her at the end of that cyberman story didn't he?

Yeah but why couldn’t she

Spoiler

Regenerate? I know there’s always a way out but they gave a reason?

41 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yeah but why couldn’t she

Hide contents

Regenerate? I know there’s always a way out but they gave a reason?

She did! Hence the 

new Master