rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

I suppose it’s still called Doctor Who because “Scooby Doo set in present day Sheffield” is a bit of a mouthful.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Watching some Tennant episodes on TV and they just seem packed with more drama and action. 

Yeah, and more open-mouthed staring.

currently the girl in the fireplace.

• Upvote 2

On 04/01/2019 at 22:48, JPickford said:

Didn't bother watching it. 

On 05/01/2019 at 04:15, deKay said:

So how are you going to complain about it?

I think that's a bit unfair @deKay. What John said is a perfectly valid response.

If I can come at this from a different angle. My wife and I were all in on this. A female Doctor? A large diverse cast? A little bit of social justice? (I'd argue that a lot of the best Doctor Who episodes have him as a social justice warrior.) We were all in and keen. Loved the first episode. Loved the second...apart from the last few minutes. Liked the third apart from the last few minutes (which I loathed. That end was total shit.) And so on.

And despite being primed and on board it was just good to ok. And the final few minutes were always rubbish. As in the episodes would have been far better if we'd switched off ten minutes from the end.

So what did I think about Resolution? I can't tell you. We haven't been bothered to watch it. Or the episode before. So here I am in the same boat as John and all the other naysayers. I love most of the cast. But the core party is too bog (I have the same issue with the latest Avengers movie, too many story arcs to squeeze in too small a timeframe.) Turns out a box that's bigger on the inside can feel cramped. And the stories have all had dreadful endings apart from the first episode. The new doctor says sorry too much thus falling into the very trope she was supposed to resist.

And as for the social justice stuff? You need to do it with a light touch (something that Rosa almost managed.) Otherwise it ends up feeling preachy and smug.

I guess I'll get around to the last two episodes eventually but at the moment with some free time on my hands I'm about to do some work at home with some podcasts on rather than watch them. Which should tell you how motivated I am about it.

I finally got round to watching this tonight. I loved the idea of the threat being not just a lone Dalek but a lone Dalek with no “tank.” And then I loved the idea of that Dalek going all Iron Man 1 and knocking together a steampunk version of its armour.

BUT the end result was too good! I wanted it to be properly shonky, so that the Doctor laughed at it until it started shooting. Preferably it should have been made from square boxes rather than cylinders, and then it could have made this canon at the same time.

• Upvote 4

Just watched the New Year special. 

Um. Was Murray Gold back for the soundtrack? 

Also another episode where almost all of the supporting cast endear me more than the 'fam' ugh. 

But..... Was better than 90% of the series I guess. I liked some of the direction and the Sheffield catacombs were lovely. 6/10 imo.

So.... Um.... I know they're just silly social media rumours but blimey thought the thread might have been resurrected just to see what people thought about it? 

Imo can't imagine that Chibbers and Whittaker have walked, but the lack of official response and feedback makes me wonder if there's any truth in some of the story? That Chibnall and the BBC are at odds over an early screening and it's all gone a bit door slammy? Or is it all just made up drama? 

1 hour ago, c-cat114 said:

So.... Um.... I know they're just silly social media rumours but blimey thought the thread might have been resurrected just to see what people thought about it? 

Imo can't imagine that Chibbers and Whittaker have walked, but the lack of official response and feedback makes me wonder if there's any truth in some of the story? That Chibnall and the BBC are at odds over an early screening and it's all gone a bit door slammy? Or is it all just made up drama? 

"Chaos in Cardiff" (good title for an episode!) was a rumour a few days ago. People got worked up about it, arguing about whether it came from credible sources or was just wishful thinking from people who dislike the current direction of the programme, then people said that the BBC were going to issue a press release about it at 2.30pm, cue people (including me, getting ready to bump this thread :blush:) frantically F5ing the BBC website...

... Then at 14:30 on the dot the Radio Times published an article saying "nope, business as usual". The BBC themselves said absolutely nothing.

This Reddit post has a good summary of how the rumour progressed:

• Upvote 1

On 20/06/2019 at 13:01, Nick R said:

First official picture of the 13th Doctor's new costume! :omg:

Reveal hidden contents

Apropos of nothing, what number should we be using for Jodie Whitaker's Doctor? The media tend to use 13 for simplicity, but she's the 14th Doctor if we include the John Hurt War Doctor iteration, and the 15th incarnation if we include Tennant's 2 Doctors.

I've been waiting for a way to express this scene from Doctor Who ever since I first saw it.

I contemplated making a random and showy post about it, tonight, in Off Topic but my better judgment won out.

My inspiration came in a form of words tonight and it seems there has been much intellectual discussion around those words, I Googled them a moment ago. I have never read those intellectual discussions and I don't intend to, specifically because I may decide the use of words I have settled upon do not belong to me despite the fact I have come to them on my own.

The words I have settled upon are 'aging and the diminution of personality and identity'.

I have no idea if that is what the scene is meant to suggest. Perhaps it is simply those moments immediately before death but my own experience informs me that death can be slow, decades in the making.

Terrance Dicks has died at the age of 84.

He was the script editor for the Jon Pertwee era and novelised very many of the stories for the Target book range. He arguably did more work on shaping the character of the Doctor than anyone other than the actors playing the role themselves. I was lucky enough to meet him on three separate occasions and each time he was a thoroughly nice and lovely chap.

Rest in peace, Uncle Terrance. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 11

The man who first wrote Capacious pocket, wheezing groaning and pleasant open face and an ever present part of my childhood. 

As said above RIP Uncle Terry. 

• Upvote 1

I was ambling out of the WH Smith at Euston station this morning, when who should I see but Russell T. Davies striding purposely in my direction! I've always assumed he was a short, jolly fellow for some reason and had no idea he was well-built and almost 6.5 feet in height. My giddy excitement at recognising a sci-fi celebrity was immediately replaced with a sense of terror at the realisation he was bearing down on me, with a cold-focused stare at a point several inches above my head. I thought he was going to walk into me, but he passed on my right, and walked into Smiths in the direction of the current affairs/sci-fi/computing section. Braver people on this forum would probably have stopped him for an autograph or complemented him on a favourite episode, but I was too afraid of the giant man!

• Upvote 2

Need to be in the same state I was when I met him in 2007 steaming drunk and just did nothing but throw praise and compliments at him. Turned out alright for me I got mentioned in the writers tale. 

He is a giant of a man. 

• Upvote 1