rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

I liked the Dalek stuff. Chibnall shouldn't try to write family drama though. He's terrible at it and it went on far too long.

They missed a chance to make a 321 joke about the Dusty Bin Dalek :)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

But what happened to the bits on the island and in the snow?

They sort of got teleported back to the bit that they dug up in Sheffield.

I've just bought a UV torch, so I better make sure I don't shine it on any dead daleks.  

This was surprisingly excellent for the most part.  The female Dr v essentially female Dalek gave it a refreshingly different dynamic which really worked for me.  

Typical that we don’t get any more now though until 2020.:doh::doh:

Okay episode, but the Unit part left a bad taste in my mouth. Was it trying to go for funny? Because shutting down Unit isn't funny. :(

Started rewatching 05 Who. While it could be seen as overdone, the current show could do with a dose of mystery. We really have none of that right now.

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

They sort of got teleported back to the bit that they dug up in Sheffield.

How?

7 hours ago, NEG said:

Okay episode, but the Unit part left a bad taste in my mouth. Was it trying to go for funny? Because shutting down Unit isn't funny. :(

I though it was supposed to be a Brexit comment, but thhey bottled saying it outright so it just came across as weird.

The dynamic between Graham and the Doctor is still awful.

Oh and Daleks are stupid. The mech-spider design makes much more sense.

I thought the dalek was going to be responsible for the drone sightings at Gatwick with all it's zipping about, bit disappointing it wasn't.

• Upvote 1

Current thoughts on it:

• Also found that they shat on the whole UNIT thing, yeah I thought it was a subtle Brexit dig too.

• The only second episode to not include opening titles.

• Are recon scouts a thing? I can only think of another episode with a Dalek-human hybrid being Evolution of the Daleks.

Even more companions! Too many companions. The TARDIS is like a minibus these days. And Yaz still has no personality apart from “owns a phone”. 

Still, great episode, best Dalek story since... well, “Dalek”. 

• Upvote 1

I assumed it was a reference to the 2010 UK quango reforms, which many newspapers obsessed over during the early days of the coalition government, though can see the brexit angle as well. Story-wise, it's a convenient method of preventing established characters from commenting on the new doctor (I'm still expecting a Captain Jack appearance) and allows the Doctor's team to act independently.

It was good to see a Dalek vs. tank face-off, even if the explosion effect was a bit rubbish. I was surprised that the UK Security force (or whatever it's called) were able to mobilise the tank to Sheffield so quickly. Do they have them placed in strategic locations around the country, or did Sheffield Council decide one was needed for local security (Well, we can't buy water cannons. What's next on the deterrent list?) 

I wonder if this is the same tank that Peter Capaldi played his guitar on a few years ago. 

17 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Damn, was half expecting dad to die, or the Dalek to escape and be reborn to grow as the main enemy in the new series.

I was hoping they would have the dalek survive. For this big terrible baddie they tend to all be dead by the end of the episode. I want to see a big baddie, not a series of forgettable ones 

13 hours ago, Flams said:

I was hoping they would have the dalek survive. For this big terrible baddie they tend to all be dead by the end of the episode. I want to see a big baddie, not a series of forgettable ones 

Wasn't that the teeth collector dudes role?

4 hours ago, NEG said:

Wasn't that the teeth collector dudes role?

Yes, and I enjoyed it when he popped up again. But he was a bit shit all told. 

Only just watched the NYD episode, but I thought it was an absolute belter. Loved how scary the Dalek was, especially while possessing Lyn, which really reminded me of classic Dr Who (Planet of the Spiders springs to mind). And I thought the relationships stuff was wonderfully handled, especially the scene with Graham and the boxes of toys kept by Grace for her son.

I've also been catching up with the back half of Capaldi's season, which I skipped at the time as I was thoroughly sick of Clara and the show in general just wasn't doing much for me (despite liking Capaldi). I have to say, I couldn't be happier that Chibnall is in charge now. I think anyone unhappy with the current season would do well to re-watch tripe like 'In The Forest of the Night', and the total shit-show that is 'Dark Water/Death in Heaven' before judging the current show too harshly. I hope Chibnall has as decent a crack at the Cybermen as he did the Daleks, as they really have been treated badly as villains by both Moffat and RTD. I mean, the Brigadier as a re-animated corpse Cyberman FFS...:facepalm:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I genuinely didn't see the dalek namedrop coming (I missed the trailer spoilers), even after seeing the thing fully splayed out on the wall, like I'd totally forgotten what daleks even look like! I've been so sidelined by this series distancing itself from classic monsters that, when the Doctor said she was detecting "the most dangerous enemy in the galaxy" (or words to that effect), I instinctively expected a monster-of-the-week with a lore and backstory to be rattled off in another stream of Chibnallean exposition and then forgotten about forever. Thankfully not.

There's still too much expositionary technobabble, but on the whole I liked it. Dalek building a new armour out of bits of metal in a warehouse was pretty cool, and it felt threatening in a way that daleks haven't for years. I'd just like these episodes to slow the hell down a bit, calm it on the rush-rush-rush pacing. Do longer serials again if we're going for that style of show anyway. If we can keep the tone, keep the characters, keep the production values and episodic concepts, but just slow down a bit and get some better goddamned writers in, the next series could be fantastic.

Surprised you say that about the pacing. One of the complaints I heard (on The Incomparable podcast) was that they slowed the pace down for the scene between Ryan and his Dad in the cafe.

Personally it didn’t feel rushed at all, and I enjoyed the way they actually took time to explore these character moments. There was also plenty of screen time for Dalek Lyn to establish itself as a memorable baddie.

5 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

and the total shit-show that is 'Dark Water/Death in Heaven' 

They are a good pair of episodes!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1058132769933574144.html

I know it's a really really long thread, but that's because it also includes his comments on rewatching Last Christmas and series 9. But please, just read the ones at the start on Dark Water/Death In Heaven! There's some interesting stuff in there...

I remember really liking Dark Water, but I was slightly disappointed with Death In Heaven by comparison. It was still okay though, and still better than most of the RTD finalés for me.

Death in Heaven was crap on a crap stick served with a side of crap

Dark Water had some nice moments but failed largely to being ALL ABOUT CLARA (eurgh) and Danny (eurgh).

Plus it's retroactively ruined by DiH and nonsense about the entire "plot"

22 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Surprised you say that about the pacing. One of the complaints I heard (on The Incomparable podcast) was that they slowed the pace down for the scene between Ryan and his Dad in the cafe.

I liked that bit! :D  I would like the whole show to be roughly the same pace.

It's weird, because although I got bored watching some of the classic serials (as you may recall from my blog posts over the years), I would actually welcome a return to that style of pacing now. Make every story four parts long again. Everything seems so rush-rush, necessitating clumsy techno-exposition. It'll never happen, so it's a pointless request, but maybe my tastes are changing over time.

I'm struggling to articulate the problem, but let's take the scenes early on where the Doc and DalekGirl are trying to outwit one another, and in particular talk to one another (before the latter has built its armour). An important moment in itself as you want the hero and villain to come face to face. But this story doesn't have time to set this up to happen in person, so it has to quickly invent a method of telecommunication (holograms!), explain what it is in about three seconds, explain why it's working when it is, and why it's not when it's not. This makes most of the hero's dialogue technobabble about signal interference and tracking and jamming and overriding and all stuff like that. And then they meet again in person and you have more explainy dialogue about sonic interference followed shortly by "aha, I've overridden your tech with my better tech". And, again, when the episode ends with a "vacuum tunnel" (quickly explain what it is while shouting) and then it starts going wrong (quickly explain why it's going wrong approximately three seconds after explaining what it is), and... it's just exhausting to listen to and I want the Doctor to be much more than that.

• Upvote 2

On 03/01/2019 at 14:39, Davros sock drawer said:

I hope Chibnall has as decent a crack at the Cybermen as he did the Daleks, as they really have been treated badly as villains by both Moffat and RTD. I mean, the Brigadier as a re-animated corpse Cyberman FFS...:facepalm:

I wouldn't use the Brigadier Cyberman as a stick to beat Moffat with,  Chibnall did far worse with the Torchwood Cyberwoman episode.

I rewatched Rise of the Cybermen/ Age of Steel recently and it's aged a lot better than I thought it would do. Other than that I really enjoyed World Enough and Time/ Doctor Falls; the last Moffat series as a whole was a return to form shorn of all the Clara-isms.

I need to re-watch Nightmare in Silver. I remember being disappointed with it considering how good Gaiman's Doctor's Wife was, probably deserves another chance.