rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:43, Davros sock drawer said:

Fucking hell. You live on planet wrong.

This has been the best series of New Who in some years.

I missed this reply.

You live on planet  COMPLETEY WRONG. You're up there now sorting out your sock drawer. 

This has been the most exhausted do-it-all-in-one  series of New Who in some years if anything. It's done, fried, cooked.. burnt. Ready for the bin.

and I'm done with all the new characters (even good old Bradley Walsh) and I tell you what - the Doctor just about escapes unscathed here as Jodie is ok at it.

Its been amateurish , a bit too childish even if it is for families and the stories made up of cheap, low-quality ingredients!  

It was like watching Grange Hill or Byker Grove sometimes set in space and I didn't give a stuff about any of it.

• Upvote 1

A non-fan's hot take: Loved RTD - I was a big fan from his Queer as Folk days. Thought he was the perfect bloke to do a reboot, and brought in two fantastic doctors (collaborators from his previous miniseries). He just seemed to get family entertainment. The popularity meant both he and Tenant stayed on too long, which meant everything was dialled up to 11 by the last season or two, but overall it was fantastic.

Moffat is a good writer, but I just didn't like his premiership. Too grown-up, a bit regressive and trying to be edgy. He struck me as someone in thrall to Neil Gaiman but unable to pull it off properly. Matt Baker was alright, but Karen Gillan's character just wound me right up for some reason. I could have gotten over that, but the stories and plot threads didn't click with me. Especially as it wasn't breezy enough.

Capaldi and Gemma whatserface passed me by completely as Moffat had reached peak Moffat by this point and it really didn't appeal. I didn't see any of the ones starring the other companion.

Whitaker is great, but this season seems to have deliberately swung away from the 'dark' vibe and too far in the other direction. It feels a bit simplistic and it strives for fun but isn't very funny. It's fine, like, but just 'solid'.  Anyway, you've every right to think all I've said's a load of ill-informed bollocks, but that's my view from the sidelines :)

• Upvote 2

I rewatched Tale of Two Dr's and Woman who fell to Earth last night while working. Obvs Capaldi episodes has issues and is rescued by Cap and Brad... Bill is as fab as always and the script is OK... Not without criticism. I remember hating then and now the Dr's regeneration speech which was just painfully crap and makes me now wonder if it was a Chibnall addition.. 

But regardless. Woman Who fell to earth is painfully clunky in comparison, the casting, the interaction, the delivery. When the Dr falls into the train its beginning to be better, almost, but it still begs the question is that it?? Dr falls from Upper earth orbit from an exploding Tardis and the resolution is that she just lands on a train? Rubbish. Utter bilge. And set up a series of every ounce of not positive WTF moments. 

Again, I'm absolutely fascinated that maybe almost half of the audience liked it (although given the replies on social media I'd say it looks like far less) , in the same way that almost half of voters voted for Trump or Brexit and almost half liked Last Jedi. It just seems such an illogical thing, given the problems.

Must admit, I finished the series last week and for the first time since the show re-started, I'm done with it. Nothing against Whittaker, who I actually like in the role, but the stories have all been dire. I'm gonna give it a miss and maybe check back in here if we get the odd good episode, but until then, I'm out. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Treble said:

A non-fan's hot take: Loved RTD - I was a big fan from his Queer as Folk days. Thought he was the perfect bloke to do a reboot, and brought in two fantastic doctors (collaborators from his previous miniseries). He just seemed to get family entertainment. The popularity meant both he and Tenant stayed on too long, which meant everything was dialled up to 11 by the last season or two, but overall it was fantastic.

Moffat is a good writer, but I just didn't like his premiership. Too grown-up, a bit regressive and trying to be edgy. He struck me as someone in thrall to Neil Gaiman but unable to pull it off properly. Matt Baker was alright, but Karen Gillan's character just wound me right up for some reason. I could have gotten over that, but the stories and plot threads didn't click with me. Especially as it wasn't breezy enough.

Capaldi and Gemma whatserface passed me by completely as Moffat had reached peak Moffat by this point and it really didn't appeal. I didn't see any of the ones starring the other companion.

Whitaker is great, but this season seems to have deliberately swung away from the 'dark' vibe and too far in the other direction. It feels a bit simplistic and it strives for fun but isn't very funny. It's fine, like, but just 'solid'.  Anyway, you've every right to think all I've said's a load of ill-informed bollocks, but that's my view from the sidelines :)

Matt Baker?

:) well I think some people will tune in not that they know it's the Daleks.... But no I just wondered if they've seen the 'it had better be the Daleks or,....' tweets and thought they need to get the Twittering masses back on side.

Total guess on my side, just wondered is all. Seems a bit of a 180 from thought processes up to now, but that said they might always have been planning a reveal in the days coming up to broadcast. 

5 hours ago, Meh said:

I never thought I'd miss Murray Gold or Moffat.

It’s the way the show works it seems. By this pojnt in Moffat’s tenure, people where beginning to pine for RTD.

2 hours ago, HarMGM said:

It’s the way the show works it seems. By this pojnt in Moffat’s tenure, people where beginning to pine for RTD.

That took at least another half season. Probably the split and the bit of a mess that created started it.

End of season 5 was probably peak Moffatt, in terms of popularity. Season 5 was very well received, the new Doctor was liked, the companions were liked and the Pandorica two parter was a great finish. His first Christmas special was "A Christmas Carol" which was easily his best one. There were a few mutterings about how more complicated plots, but that didn't really bu8kd priory until a bit later.

As great as much of the rest of his run was, it was more divisive. Maybe it's better that Chibnalls best season isn't his first? Lots of time to adjust and season 3 was probably RTD's best.

• Upvote 1

For me that was an epsiode of two parts the dalek stuff was great made a single dalek scary again - the other family issue stuff wasn’t great. Sory I wanted to watch dr who not hollyoakes 

Kinda wish we could have a series where the dr is roaming the galaxy meeting new peeps every week instead of constant companions and there extended family issues  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Much better bar the fact the resolution was that lesser known sci-fi horror movie 

Reveal hidden contents

Alien

I'm afraid Doctor Who's own The Enemy Of The World did it over a decade before Ridley Scott got in there...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, readonly said:

I'm afraid Doctor Who's own The Enemy Of The World did it over a decade before Ridley Scott got in there...

Never seen it nor read the target. One of the few. 

I thought the ark in space was the episode that alien ripped off mind?

4 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Never seen it nor read the target. One of the few. 

I thought the ark in space was the episode that alien ripped off mind?

Ark In Space does indeed have some uncanny similarities with Alien. It's only the very end of Enemy that has the "sucked out of the ship" bit, as Alien would go on to do.

• Upvote 1