rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

could work

Mirror version could come back because of "instability in the antiverse  thingy whilst collapsing allowed the other to come through... and because it was only one, our universe can handle it"

Now lets post it on the Dr Who forums and twitter!

9 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

could work

Reveal hidden contents

Mirror version could come back because of "instability in the antiverse  thingy whilst collapsing allowed the other to come through... and because it was only one, our universe can handle it"

Now lets post it on the Dr Who forums and twitter!

indeed

Spoiler

mirror universe supported Eric...

That was just brilliantly mental in a way Doctor Who hasn't been for decades.

Whatever problems this series has (and it has a few), it's far more interesting than anything the show's done for the last few years, Heaven Sent aside.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Whatever problems this series has (and it has a few), it's far more interesting than anything the show's done for the last few years, Heaven Sent aside.

This. Nothing I'd put in top ten must see episodes or anything, but just...fresh.

I can wholeheartedly understand those who don't live and breathe Who finding all this un-Who'ly, though. But for those that live it, this is slap bang back in RTD era, except the year is now 2018, and the jokes perhaps being a little less camp (but the villains sure still are!).

I enjoyed the bonkersness but it was a very messy episode. It makes NO sense that Swedish guy would set up an elaborate monster mystery just to keep his daughter in the house while he's hanging with deadwife, and the entire moth universe could've been got rid of with almost no plot repercussions. We only get to the core of the story once Bradley meets Grace and the episode's more than half done at that point - the rest has to be done in a massive rush with Jodie pretty much non-stop explaining everything as it's happening. 

And if you're going to do wacky for the sake of wacky, at least don't have the characters explicitly point out the wackiness.

• Upvote 1

I’d probably say it was brilliant as long as you don’t think about it, as everyone’s actions then rapidly stop making any sense

might have worked better if the daughter had been taken through, met mirror-mum and escaped after failing to convince dad, but had no idea how or where she’d gone and could only say he’d been kidnapped by a monster impersonating her dead mum. Or something 

6 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I’d probably say it was brilliant as long as you don’t think about it, as everyone’s actions then rapidly stop making any sense

Reveal hidden contents

might have worked better if the daughter had been taken through, met mirror-mum and escaped after failing to convince dad, but had no idea how or where she’d gone and could only say he’d been kidnapped by a monster impersonating her dead mum. Or something 

Reveal hidden contents

You can apply that statement to the whole series.

I liked how Erik's Slayer T-Shirt was back to front when in the mirror universe. Also how Hanne's was the same in both directions to make it easier to film. It's DeeJay Maximum all over again.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

Ah but Hanne’s wasn’t the same in both directions, and it was also backwards in the other universe. It’s just a much subtler design.

It looked symmetrical though?

Quite enjoyed that one... one of the best of the series which took a *massive* dive after the novelty of the new wore off. The way the doctor worked out what was happening and the over explaining was a bit annoying, but it worked for my kids, especially my daughter who asks questions constantly through programmes. My son also realised that the frog universe thing wasn’t a baddie and found that unusual- which was nice too.

Very strange episode, it didn't really hang together for me but I ended up quite liking it. I enjoying imagining all the express readers taking the dust sheets off their PCs to bash out an email about the frog. Felt a bit like Neil Gaiman wrote an episode of The Mighty Boosh on oxycontin.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Felt weirdly patronising by this series' standards for the Doctor to be writing notes about the kid as though she wasn't in the room, and for the dad to be playing monster noises to keep her in the house. It felt meaner than they seemed to be going for, like it was originally written to have a much younger kid in the role.

Amazing episode though. Shame that so many kids are going to be terrified of moths now.