rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

10 hours ago, Nick R said:

I liked seeing what happens when two different people see the psychic paper and read two different things.

Alan Cumming's acting choices were... interesting. But he was downright subdued compared to the villain at the end of the episode!

I saw this tweet:

Yeah, that comparison occurred to me. But would the episode have been improved by a line like "I met Satan; right now he's in a pit on a planet orbiting a black hole", in the vein of the Agatha Christie/wasp line from last episode? The programme doesn't need to make an explicit fan-pleasing reference every time a similar subject to a previous episode comes up. (The episode also chose not to reference the fact that the Doctor had once married James' predecessor on the throne!)

I think the objection is that the Doctor "doesn't believe" in something he met. If I remember that episode he was disbelieving as to the nature of the big horned dude at the time that was never really resolved. I'd say it's the correct interpretation that he didn't believe it was really Satan. 

That said, it's a throwaway line. There's probably a variation that throws in fan service while making no difference to the plot or new viewers. That's where I think fan service probably should be placed, rather than the thing shows do where everyone is connected to everyone else. 

Just caught up the last week's episode (Kerblam or whatever it was called) and I thought it was the first stinker of the series so far.

It seemed very confused as to which message it was trying to convey, and tonally it just really didn't sit right with me, especially the way they killed off Kira and the rather careless/callous way the janitor guy was killed by the Doctor at the end (no need at all for her to instruct the robots to press the bubble wrap!)

It also looked very cheap in parts, like they filmed it in the studio car park, and they may as well just rename the Sonic Screwdriver to The Doctor's Magic Wand at this point.

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

It also looked very cheap in parts, like they filmed it in the studio car park, and they may as well just rename the Sonic Screwdriver to The Doctor's Magic Wand at this point.

You're going to love this week's one.

• Upvote 2

On 25/11/2018 at 17:42, JohnC said:

Because it airs on Sundays. It's on this evening.

Heh, I almost never watch live TV these days and I had seen every episode on iPlayer so far thinking it was still on Saturdays like it used to be.

Witchfinders felt perhaps more familiar than others in the series so far. It was a monster of the week filler episode that could of fitted into any of the previous seasons

Apart from the Doctor's new found hesitance to interfere in history again, leading to a death.

Two episodes left and the Christmas New Year's Day special and it feels like we're still waiting for the proper start of the series

• Upvote 1

Finally watched it on Sunday night... it could have been great but fck me.... it was just shite.... its basically sunk to a CBBC level of production... the acting just seems incredibly hammy... I don't have a problem with the Dr being a woman, but it just seems like she's doing a really bad Matt Smith impression... I didn't ever get the impression she was playing this all knowing time lord who's 900 odd years old and seen everything... it was just... hammy... at times it felt like I was watching last f the summer wine or something...

I wasn't a huge fan of The Witchfinders. It started well, but got a little too panto as it went on.

I'm enjoying this series overall, but it's definitely lighter viewing than the RTD and Moffat stuff. I really enjoyed Rosa, The Tsuranga Connundrum and Demons of the Punjab, but even those were missing a certain something for me and I think that something is more of an edge to the Doctor. She's had the least character development of the group so far outside of the first episode, which I'm hoping is because it's all being saved up for the finalé.

30 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

all knowing time lord who's 900 odd years old

Nearer 3000, IIRC.

Or 8 billion+ depending how you interpret the diamond punching episode.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Nearer 3000, IIRC.

Or 8 billion+ depending how you interpret the diamond punching episode.

Or ???? since we can't be entirely sure if the Doctor is lying or not and the age reversed between the old and new series. 

1 minute ago, kensei said:

Or ???? since we can't be entirely sure if the Doctor is lying or not and the age reversed between the old and new series. 

Don't upset the nerds who have it all worked out!

Watched the Pting ep earlier and.. didn't hate it? Aspects of it were classic Who and I liked the central character itself a lot. 

I think, vaguely, I was still a tiny bit bothered by the issue that the Dr and the companions bore me, Graham especially - who seems to have an acting range akin to Danny Dyer - and 'and now for the dumbed down science explanation' Yaz. With that in mind I found almost every secondary character in the show, especially the General, the human doctor, the robot and the Pting itself would be far better show leads... 

Haven't watch Witchfinders yet, won't watch the spider one and will only watch the Yaz back in time one if there really is nothing left on any channel to watch.... But the Pting ep was the first I've seen I'd describe as being slightly better than a bad filler episode if good series gone by. Written by Chibnall too, which surprised me. 

6 minutes ago, nakamura said:

The diamond punching episode was completely mad! 

Yes, and it was also the best episode of the entire Capaldi era. :wub:

But then, I'm a sucker for format-breaking episodes that are all about the writer showing off a clever gimmick. Things like Buffy's Hush/Restless/Once More With Feeling; most episodes of Inside No 9; and Doctor Who episodes like Midnight, Blink, and Love & Monsters.

• Upvote 3

All the episodes from 2005 onward were put on iPlayer about six months ago, but they were due to expire next week. But now they've been extended so that they all show as "available for over a year"! :D

This is good news for me as I'd finished rewatching all of RTD's run, but I'd assumed that I'd only have chance to rewatch a few episodes from the Moffat era before they all get removed.

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2018 at 16:39, Nick R said:

Yes, and it was also the best episode of the entire Capaldi era. :wub:

But then, I'm a sucker for format-breaking episodes that are all about the writer showing off a clever gimmick. Things like Buffy's Hush/Restless/Once More With Feeling; most episodes of Inside No 9; and Doctor Who episodes like Midnight, Blink, and Love & Monsters.

You are Peter Kay and I claim my £5! ;)

While we haven't had a standout episode or performance yet, this series has had a comfortable sort of consistency to it, never being amazing but never being terrible either. It reminds me of Classic Who in a lot of ways (not least of which the new opening titles/music), and I greatly appreciate the use of one-off stories, ensemble cast, historicals, and not relying on fan-favourite monsters (yet!). It feels very different, but I'm fine with that. It's simpler storytelling, with all the ups and downs that come with it. Nothing grandiose or overblown.

I'm still waiting for a standabout moment for the 13th Doctor. I mean, she's fine, likable, but hasn't yet won me over fully. My biggest surprise is in how much I like Bradley Walsh. I mean, bloody hell, who knew?

There's room for improvement but I'm along for the ride.

• Upvote 2

*Not commenting on the currently broadcasting episode*

The heavy reliance on historical episodes, where the history is pushed up front and centre like a dull CBBC educational drama told without any creative flair, is the probem: the show is often boring.

I like Whitaker’s Doctor more than Capadli but the scripts have been terrible and her delivery is slow and overemphasised. Plus the Doctor is suddenly lacking knowledge and confidence, and choosing an actress for the role has been undermined by shifting the dynamic and giving her a team as a backup.

Chibnall needs to go asap.

• Upvote 1

Fan theory

Spoiler

at least one candidate for "mirror version came back with them after actually dying in the caves" but it's as crazy as my "graham steals tardis to rescue grace" idea now...

moving on!

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

It the fan theory is true...

Reveal hidden contents

It really undermines the granddad comment 

I like it though

or reinforces it though

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That fan theory

Reveal hidden contents

I thought mirror version can't come back this way?

should probably explain that I'm the fan, and it came to me in the shower just now.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1