IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

On 23/10/2017 at 05:12, JohnC said:

Benefit of the doubt and so on, and I deeply want to love the new series as much as I have for 3 decades or so but I'm unconvinced by the casting choices they're making. Nothing to do with being 'scared of a gender' (a tiny bit more being worried about from the writer of Broadchurch/Cyberwoman and Missy was bloody awesome) but even the fact that the announcement pic looks like an E and D marketing picture for a staff development campaign gives me the heebies. Plus new Dr just .... Dunno. Feels very generic rather than characterful? Could be fab but nothing I've seen makes me feel confident. 

Roll on the Christmas special/new series. I really want to love it and have my worries put to rest. 

2 minutes ago, c-cat114 said:

Benefit of the doubt and so on, and I deeply want to love the new series as much as I have for 3 decades or so but I'm unconvinced by the casting choices they're making. Nothing to do with being 'scared of a gender' (a tiny bit more being worried about from the writer of Broadchurch/Cyberwoman and Missy was bloody awesome) but even the fact that the announcement pic looks like an E and D marketing picture for a staff development campaign gives me the heebies. Plus new Dr just .... Dunno. Feels very generic rather than characterful? Could be fab but nothing I've seen makes me feel confident. 

Roll on the Christmas special/new series. I really want to love it and have my worries put to rest. 

You at least have to give Chibnall and his cast the chance.  Just erase Cyberwoman from the memory and work forward from there 

7 hours ago, c-cat114 said:

Um. I think I said that half a dozen times in the post? Will give it a look and hope to be delighted. 

That said can work the other way. Thought Capildi would be brilliant' wqtched his first ep and was massively underwhelmed. 

First Capaldi season was average bar Missy. Since then though I hope you tried again? As the last two have been really rather good indeed

Oh I've still watched it despite a lot of filler and what felt to me like a complete lack of focus as to who Capaldi doc was (Smith = fez, Tennant = screwdriver/3d glasses, Capaldi = guitar/raybans/chalkboard/prompt cards/hoodie/Pertwee outfit... Just seemed like the writers never twigged the core of what his character was. Plus Clara seemingly offered nothing post Smith ending).

I'll give new series a try.... But just feels like the chance of ominous failure (for many reasons) has never been higher. That said Capaldi survived in the night garden (or whatever that ep was called) and that was planet destroyingly terrible. 

47 minutes ago, c-cat114 said:

Oh I've still watched it despite a lot of filler and what felt to me like a complete lack of focus as to who Capaldi doc was

I think they  bottled the initial direction and/or couldn't pull it off. After that they weren't quite sure what to do with him.

Capaldi beat all the other incarnations since the shows reboot in 2005.  Its a real shame he's going. He had the quirkiness and the humour down to a tee.    The only other recent Doctor that I particularly liked was Eccleston.   Tennant and Smith failed to bring anything distinctive for me.  I d have been happy to see Capaldi go on for another few years and have the same kinda run as Tom Baker.

35 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Why?

I just think the time is right.

She's a great actor with big screen experience and the increase in demand for female led roles in big budget comic/sci-fi/action movies will help it get over the hurdles placed in the way previously of a big budget Doctor Who movie.