Blimey! I knew Sydney Newman pushed for a female doctor in the role. What I never knew was that Christopher Bidmead, script editor for Tom Baker last season, did the same thing. Sadly, John Nathan Turner blocked it with the following excuse:

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Vorgot said:

No, he "thinks" he has been important, he was a whiny man child in the 80s and 90s constantly. Basically the kind of fan who gives any kind of fandom a bad name, entitled and self important about a family TV programme.

Meanwhile, another prominent member of the fandom is in favour of a female Doctor - but thinks that too many people will blame the inevitable poorness of the coming era on the decision to cast a woman, rather than on Chris Chibnall:

27 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Meanwhile, another prominent member of the fandom is in favour of a female Doctor - but thinks that too many people will blame the inevitable poorness of the coming era on the decision to cast a woman, rather than on Chris Chibnall:

Lawrence isn't prominent. He's a fantastic writer but utterly barking as well. No one involved in Who listens to a thing he says. They'll rip him off granted. But not listen to him. 

Doctor Who gets reinvented every 2-3 series...  just wait until next time when it's a black man and all of the racists come out to whine about it.  Or better yet, a black woman.

*fingers crossed*

I must say, I do wish it was an older actress like Lindsay Duncan from "The Waters of Mars" episode.. Other than that, I'm definitely looking forward to the new Who!

15 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Doctor Who gets reinvented every 2-3 series...  just wait until next time when it's a black man and all of the racists come out to whine about it.  Or better yet, a black woman.

*fingers crossed*

I must say, I do wish it was an older actress like Lindsay Duncan from "The Waters of Mars" episode.. Other than that, I'm definitely looking forward to the new Who!

Watched Waters of Mars last night. It's brilliant! Wish they'd have run with the Angry Power Mad Doctor for a bit.  

• Upvote 3

The more I think about this, the more I think it's an utterly brilliant decision. She can act and, by god, she is gorgeous.

The show has become very tired and this is just the shake up it needs. It feels like a natural progression, very organic and not just a stupid move to gain brownie points (see the female Thor as an example of this)

1 minute ago, NickC said:

Read this morning that 80% of online fan reaction has been positive to the change. 

After the initial screaming, people who wandered into the announcement a while later all seemed pretty happy with it on social media. 

On 16/07/2017 at 23:15, kensei said:

I don't like changing male characters to female characters unless you are going to reboot the whole thing. I am supportive of basically anything else.

It's funny how in the feminism thread you argued long and hard that it's up to women to work harder than men in order to earn their equality with men, and now here we are, a talented woman has broken through a glass ceiling, and now you are like 'Errr... I didn't mean having to watch a woman on my TV show!' 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Nick R said:

Of course, Chibnall should be something the 'fans' should get upset about

I just hope he gets some talent in his planned writer's room

23 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's surely a nonsense that young boys don't like girl leads. Frozen seemed universally popular with kids of the right age, of whatever gender. I think a lot of the seemingly mild concerned criticism  consists of a lot of projection.

I loved Willow from Buffy to death, it didnt mean anything that she was a girl. It was her character/behaviour that i respected so i agree with you tottally. Also saying that people cant "relate" to opposite genders is balls in my opinion some things that people come across are universal. When i was younger i loved Red Dwarf, it didnt remotely occur or matter to me that Lister and Cat were black i still loved them. Good characters are what matter, create tbem and all will be well.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, sandman said:

I was thinking how nothing has changed since pre-Buffy. In fact, I would say the world is more sexist now than it was then.

I don't think that's the case, more than due to the rise in popularity and prominence of social media, it's much easier to spout bullshit behind the protection of a keyboard/Twitter handle/Facebook account.  Maybe sexist nonsense is simply shouted out louder as opposed to more often?

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, sandman said:

I was thinking how nothing has changed since pre-Buffy. In fact, I would say the world is more sexist now than it was then.

27 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I don't think that's the case, more than due to the rise in popularity and prominence of social media, it's much easier to spout bullshit behind the protection of a keyboard/Twitter handle/Facebook account.  Maybe sexist nonsense is simply shouted out louder as opposed to more often?

Its a mix of both but much more the vocal social media angle. There is and has been female role models on telly and film its just people arent always aware of it perhaps. But then the shout and repeat that their views over and over

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Nah, I don't think so at all. Women seem much more accepting of it nowadays that back in the 80s/90s

Great post @Moz

My dad worked away for a month or 6 weeks at a time and my brother was at uni. So it was me and mum mostly and mum did loads of "mans" work, tiling the bathroom, fixing appliances (mum soldered the import chip into my playstation for me) etc. I was in a friends girlfriends house with her daughters and the handlebars on one daughters scooter were loose and she asked her mum to fix them but she said "you'll need to ask McFly as thats for men to do" and i was a bit shocked she didnt even try let alone say what she said. I never thought about it but not all women will attempt "mens work".

Watched The End of Time Part 1 last night.

Fucking hell - it's atrocious.  I couldn't believe how bad it was because I'm sure that I quite liked it when it was aired.  So many awful RTD stereotypes shoved into a complete mess of a story, with The Master completely ruined and wasted as the main bad guy.  

A totally lazy plot - The Master's resurrection is part Voldemort, part Ming the Merciless and part Terminator, and I'm almost positive that he laughs more than he speaks.  (And to the people who made the menus for the blu-ray - choosing that laugh as the background noise was a terrible choice.  Will 'Easy Street' be the menu music on the boxset of the last season of The Walking Dead?).  And now he can fly, do force lightning and eat/burn people?  Erm, okay.  He was bad enough before.  No need. 

Ah look, a rich bloke who we've never met before who almost certainly has a nasty side to go alongside his lofty ambitions.  Oh - there's the nasty side.  How orginal.

The scene with Wilfred and his fellow crumblies in the bus was laughable - and I like Wilf.  He's a bit underused in this one.

The one bit I liked was Wilf and The Doctor having the conversation in the cafe, and they spot Donna outside.  Quite poignant.

But otherwise, this is a steaming pile of shit.  I only thought I'd post about it because I honestly remember enjoying it the first time around.  Juxtaposed with The Waters of Mars, it's such a huge comedown in quality.  I think I'm going to enjoy the Smith/Capaldi years more when I get to them because I really think I've looked at the RTD years with Rose tinted specs (pun intended).  Some of them are brilliant but some - like this - are awful!

• Upvote 2

It's always a mixture of good and bad. I'd say RTD seasons had more good in them, but hey, I haven't seen them back to back in years, just the ones I like.

I think people might be right that Season 5 probably had the most high points overall, but for the love of me I can only remember Eleventh Hour and the Vincent episode. Well, and Amy looking quite lovely.

5 minutes ago, NEG said:

It's always a mixture of good and bad. I'd say RTD seasons had more good in them, but hey, I haven't seen them back to back in years, just the ones I like.

I think people might be right that Season 5 probably had the most high points overall, but for the love of me I can only remember Eleventh Hour and the Vincent episode. Well, and Amy looking quite lovely.

That's pretty much what I did with the RTD years but I wanted to be thorough this time.

I've never replayed anything from this point on (except The Eleventh Hour because I loved that episode so much!) so I'm bound to have forgotten loads.  I should be able to properly compare the RTD era to the Moffatt era when I'm done.