rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

Can't believe it hasn't been said here yet, but Moffat was asked somewhere what his fav episode of the latest season was.

He answered the Forest one.

Yes.

http://www.themarysue.com/moff-defends-worst-ep/

When asked what his favorite episode of season eight is, Moffat said,

I think I’d give a shout out to an episode that I think will grow in stature over the years because it’s so beautifully and elegantly written, “In the Forest of the Night.”

There were people who thought it was maybe scientifically inaccurate – they’re wrong, I checked with the scientists – and any piece of television that includes the line of dialogue ‘catastrophe is the metabolism of the universe’ as a part of popular entertainment has to be… a beautiful episode!

And then called those in the audience who agree with him “very wise.”

Doctor who Audiobook is on the humble bundle site. Not listened to those stories but big finish are normally pretty good. Much better than the last few tv series imo.

• Upvote 1

I fell asleep for about twenty minutes in the middle. Sadly I had no urge to rewind it to see what I might have missed. I don't mind Doctor Who being a bit silly or schmaltzy at Christmas, but unfortunately I found this years' to be a bit dull.

So going by that ending, The Doc and Clara are still in the dream having their brains sucked out and any future episodes are the dying imaginations of them both. Dark ending there Moffat.

So going by that ending, The Doc and Clara are still in the dream having their brains sucked out and any future episodes are the dying imaginations of them both. Dark ending there Moffat.

Or that Santa might exist.

Well that was quite lovely. An interesting mix of Christmas schmaltz, 'Base-under-siege' and Moffat using his signature themes to craft something that is fairly straight forward. Loved the scenes with Clara coming to terms with Danny's death and old Clara being unable to open up the Christmas cracker.

Props to Paul Wilmhurst for making one of the best shot Christmas specials.

• Upvote 4

A few too many (familiar) theme s - but a good mix for post turkey fun

Remember Space Titanic or the Trees...it could be far worse

Sorry, but this was shit.

I hope they release the real ending they had planned with Clara leaving on the DVD or something....yeah they probably won't. But it was pretty obvious where the cuts were/the original idea would have made the episode a little better. Even going by the 'I forgot I love that sound' at the start of the episode, plus why would The Doctor be dreaming about an old Clara.

Instead of a reused ideas goodbye episode for Clara we're left with....Santa Belief Philosophy Hour.

But annoyed with the way the existence of Santa was debated in the beginning. When you've got a kid in probably the last year of believing, I reckon that bit will have clearly disabused her of the notion, which seems a shame for 6pm on Xmas Day. It certainly made her a bit quiet during that section.

• Upvote 3

Quite, it's fairly obvious going by Clara's lines at the beginning of the episode (or even why she wouldn't want to wake up during the Santa slide, not just Danny) with the old Clara context in mind. Would have definitely been bittersweet rewatching.

Personally I'd have hated Clara's last scene being an old forgotten Clara who after leaving the Doctor could only manage touring Europe and learning to fly.

Also a problem with the older Clara ending: the main character being able to undo it by being a time traveller. He could just pick her up while she's travelling in Paris or something.