IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

The emphasis on Matt Smith's whole "I will remember this, every single day of it" speech raised my suspicions that it was foreshadowing memory issues as a side-effect of the regeneration. So I hope that Capaldi's "Do you know how to fly this thing?" doesn't mean that the next episode will spend ages with the Doctor an an amnesiac. :unsure:

Amnesia storylines in fiction are a dime a dozen, but ones that are done well are very, very rare!

I took that whole speech as a reinforcement of the idea that the show is moving further back to it's roots, what seems to have been an aim of

Mofat's since his run with Matt Smith began and was quite overtly talked about in the Anniversary episode.

I didn't mind that 11 got 2 "goodbye" scenes - he got his big damn hero moment and the emotional wallop of his regen scene.

Still it was only about 10 min top. 10 had 2 specials, about a 40minute long good bye that almost beat out Return of the King for overly long goodbyes, and massive foreshadowing in the specials before that...

9 still has the best regen of Nu-Who. Simple, understated and with the lovely "And so was I"

I didn't mind that 11 got 2 "goodbye" scenes - he got his big damn hero moment and the emotional wallop of his regen scene.

I did find it amusing that while Clara was sobbing away the Doctor was busy thinking about Amy instead.

Someone needs to do a comedy edit with Adric in her place.

Still it was only about 10 min top. 10 had 2 specials, about a 40minute long good bye that almost beat out Return of the King for overly long goodbyes, and massive foreshadowing in the specials before that...

9 still has the best regen of Nu-Who. Simple, understated and with the lovely "And so was I"

Good point about Tennent :facepalm: I mean I liked the first goodbye but using regeneration as a ray gun kind of cheapens it and it would have been somewhat more appropriate to go as old matt to capaldi, is all. The actual content of both, I liked..

Capaldi appearing so quick was part of the speech, I feel. (everything you are gone in a moment) Well and it made a nice change from the beam goodbye the last few had. I'd rather the regeneration sequences not be stagnant.

There's also something to be said for a non-miserable goodbye like Tennent did.

Jon Pertwee went out like a boss (spoiled a bit by the dodgy Tibetan monk stuff).

Davison had a good one as well despite being overshadowed by a pair of knockers.

As with a lot of other 'The shittest ________ in Doctor Who', Baker the Second has the worst regeneration, even though he wasn't even there.

The two goodbye's taken individually weren't all that bad. In fact I loved how Eleven strutted about the place when regenerating the first time. All 'fuck you lot, I'm a living volcano now and i'm gonna fuck you pepperpots up from here to kingdom come!'. Quite a nice change from Tennant going all 'I don't wanna go.'. It's certainly been a while since we saw the Doctor go on a relative happy note so the regeneration being triumphant for once is a nice change.

The second goodbye had me in tears as i've said earlier. But those scenes taken together is like the positive sides of two magnets held together, they don't work as well together as they do separate.

I really disliked the 50th anniversary episode but

If you "really disliked" easily one of the best episodes of modern Who, maybe you shouldn't be watching the show? Your big list of complaints was just a rundown of elements of the episode with scoffing after them. You can be that reductive with anything: I saw this rubbish film called "Star Wars", and a stupid black robot wanted to kidnap a princess with pastries on her head but she stuck her macguffin info in a wheelie bin and a gold homosexual it was shit".

Just admit you don't like Doctor Who, man.

Mixed feelings.

I can understand the complaints about it not making sense. It does about hang together once they explain everything but it's difficult enough to get in the way of emotional resonance. Ie the doctor choses to remain in the town to stop people blowing it up (because they want to do that for some reason), cos they won't blow it up while he's there in case he says his name, cos that will bring the Time Lords back because they want him to say his name before they go through because something something. And that will cause another time war so the planet will blow up anyway so surely he wouldn't do it anyway? Maybe it makes sense once you think it all through. But trying to figure it out during the episode is just distracting. The doc is basically sacrificing his life by staying, but there's no weight given to that decision because it's so unclear. It's clearer later, but the moment's gone.

Then lots of careful tying up of all the loose ends. It might have been nice to understand that stuff during those episodes rather than several serieses later. And some dodgy bits of writing, like revealing the doc has walked into a trap by having a baddie say "oh good he's walked into our trap". And nicking the bit from Parting of the Ways where Rose gets sent back. Twice.

And can someone explain why all the problems of the episode were suddenly solved once the regen happened? Did the Daleks just decide to go away?

HOWEVER. Nice concept, quite sweet in places, abd Matt Smith's closing monologue was actually pretty good. The series has relied too much on melodramatic speeches recently but this one worked well. And I loved the sudden flash of Capaldi.

And everyone else who was threatening the town?

They either withdrew or died, leaving only the Church and Daleks fighting. As they explained using words.

I think some of you may need to track down episodes of Rainbow or something. Might be more your speed.

I have to add myself to the Do-not-like group. The first 10 minutes were great, but it got dull when they arrived at Trenzalore. The plot aspired to be Star Trek TNG's The Inner Light or SGA's Epiphany in places, but had to take regular breaks to throw another bad guy into the mix (it reminded me of The Five Doctors in places). As a result, we never got to know or care about the town's inhabitants. There also seemed to be a lack of tension during the episode. Sure, we got to see lots of Dr Who villians walking around and blowing things up, but it was all very laid back. One of the few moments of drama - the nun's getting killed by Daleks - happened off-screen. Compare it to Peter Davison's send-off (which I have to admit I only saw for the first time a few weeks ago) and you feel like it's moving at a glacial pace. By the time we reached the regeneration scene, I thought I had also grown old.

I expect my completist tendencies will force me to buy the DVD/BluRay release (curse those voice in my head!), but I'd prefer watch a tighter, fan-edit version. Or maybe a special edition Director's Cut with only the good bits.

Lord help, me , synopsis

There is a distress beacon coming from a planet that no one can understand that attracts the attention of all the baddies in the Galaxy (much like Pandorica)

The Space Church people got there first, creating a standoff - no one wants to make the first move

Doctor is obviously involved, but is distracted by a Clara

His analysis shows the signal is originating form Galifrey

He goes to space religion and gets on the planet, after a bit of flirting from an old flame we've never met

He finds out on the planet that (1) it has field that makes people tell the truth (no reason why) (2) it Trenzalore (don't ask why the Doctor doesn't have his resting place in bright letters on his map and (3) the message is originating from a crack and is saying "Doctor Who"

The crack is the Timelords trying to get back into the universe - if the Doctor answers the message they know it's safe

It's a relic of the season 5 cracks - scar tissue that the timelords are pushing on

The Doctor suspected it and was afraid of it hap[pening - it was behind the door in the "God Complex" (even scarier than thinking he'd commited mass genocide)

If says his name, the Timelords come back but the Time War will reignite, and the badies above will destroy the planet to try and stop them

So he sends Clara home to keep her safe and protects the planet

Clara hangs onto the TARDIS when it tries to leave, meaning she and it don't turn up for three hundred years

Doc explains he can't regen npo more because of War Doc and 10 into the hand

He then gets called up to space church, where they've all been turned into Daleks

They also mention that it was a SPlinter faction that tried to stop the Doc ever reaching Tenzalore, blowing up the TARDIS and creating River

Except they haven't, because despite what we saw in Asylum in the Daleks, you just need to wish really hard / been sexually assaulted to overcome the nanbots

Doc gets back to the planet, promises Clare never to send her away again, then sends her away to protect the people on Tenzalore

With Space Church gone, everyone has a big fight. The Daleks win

Clara is sad

Space Nun Pope drives TARDIS and brings her back another 600 years later

Doc is really old, and out of ideas, goes to face the Daleks and die

Clara talks to the Timelords through the crack asking them to help the Doc

They send a full set of new regens (ie 12) through the crack

New regens = super charged, so energy blows up the Daleks

Takes a wee bit more time than normal, so the Doc is healed a la Ten in End of Time

Doc has a vision of Amy

Capaldi, with fearsome eyes

Tl;DR, it's a fecking mess. But it mostly tidies up everything and gives Capaldi a clean slate. I enjoyed it just to see how he tied it all up, and despite it making more sense than most of the explanations we've been offered, it told rather than showed, had weird pacing, a lack of tension and showed up why they should have just ran the Ponds and 11 going at the same time. Plus a whole heap of other stuff. I rewatched the regen scene and it was great, though, a nice contrast to Ten's. There was another good ep in there, but it was killed by EPPIIIIICCCC.

Moffat hasn't disappeared up his own arse or anything either. Name and especially Day were great episodes, and aside from some missteps in Season 6, most of his big episodes have been really good - Season 5 was excellent, Day of the Moon in 6 was great too. He's tried things and a good few haven't work, but I'd rather he had a go and tried to push the show forward. I'm hoping now 12 is a lot more low key. He's spent low enough cleaning things up to do it.

There are a few rumours kicking about of an Easter special. I think that'd be good for Capaldi.