FishyFish

Doctor Who

For me that was an epsiode of two parts the dalek stuff was great made a single dalek scary again - the other family issue stuff wasn’t great. Sory I wanted to watch dr who not hollyoakes 

Kinda wish we could have a series where the dr is roaming the galaxy meeting new peeps every week instead of constant companions and there extended family issues  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Much better bar the fact the resolution was that lesser known sci-fi horror movie 

Reveal hidden contents

Alien

I'm afraid Doctor Who's own The Enemy Of The World did it over a decade before Ridley Scott got in there...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, readonly said:

I'm afraid Doctor Who's own The Enemy Of The World did it over a decade before Ridley Scott got in there...

Never seen it nor read the target. One of the few. 

I thought the ark in space was the episode that alien ripped off mind?

4 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Never seen it nor read the target. One of the few. 

I thought the ark in space was the episode that alien ripped off mind?

Ark In Space does indeed have some uncanny similarities with Alien. It's only the very end of Enemy that has the "sucked out of the ship" bit, as Alien would go on to do.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, deKay said:

But what happened to the bits on the island and in the snow?

You'll have to wait until 2020 for them not to be mentioned.

I liked the Dalek stuff. Chibnall shouldn't try to write family drama though. He's terrible at it and it went on far too long.

They missed a chance to make a 321 joke about the Dusty Bin Dalek :)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

But what happened to the bits on the island and in the snow?

They sort of got teleported back to the bit that they dug up in Sheffield.

I've just bought a UV torch, so I better make sure I don't shine it on any dead daleks.  

This was surprisingly excellent for the most part.  The female Dr v essentially female Dalek gave it a refreshingly different dynamic which really worked for me.  

Typical that we don’t get any more now though until 2020.:doh::doh:

Okay episode, but the Unit part left a bad taste in my mouth. Was it trying to go for funny? Because shutting down Unit isn't funny. :(

Started rewatching 05 Who. While it could be seen as overdone, the current show could do with a dose of mystery. We really have none of that right now.

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

They sort of got teleported back to the bit that they dug up in Sheffield.

How?

7 hours ago, NEG said:

Okay episode, but the Unit part left a bad taste in my mouth. Was it trying to go for funny? Because shutting down Unit isn't funny. :(

I though it was supposed to be a Brexit comment, but thhey bottled saying it outright so it just came across as weird.

The dynamic between Graham and the Doctor is still awful.

Oh and Daleks are stupid. The mech-spider design makes much more sense.

I thought the dalek was going to be responsible for the drone sightings at Gatwick with all it's zipping about, bit disappointing it wasn't.

• Upvote 1

Current thoughts on it:

• Also found that they shat on the whole UNIT thing, yeah I thought it was a subtle Brexit dig too.

• The only second episode to not include opening titles.

• Are recon scouts a thing? I can only think of another episode with a Dalek-human hybrid being Evolution of the Daleks.

Even more companions! Too many companions. The TARDIS is like a minibus these days. And Yaz still has no personality apart from “owns a phone”. 

Still, great episode, best Dalek story since... well, “Dalek”. 

• Upvote 1

I assumed it was a reference to the 2010 UK quango reforms, which many newspapers obsessed over during the early days of the coalition government, though can see the brexit angle as well. Story-wise, it's a convenient method of preventing established characters from commenting on the new doctor (I'm still expecting a Captain Jack appearance) and allows the Doctor's team to act independently.

It was good to see a Dalek vs. tank face-off, even if the explosion effect was a bit rubbish. I was surprised that the UK Security force (or whatever it's called) were able to mobilise the tank to Sheffield so quickly. Do they have them placed in strategic locations around the country, or did Sheffield Council decide one was needed for local security (Well, we can't buy water cannons. What's next on the deterrent list?) 

I wonder if this is the same tank that Peter Capaldi played his guitar on a few years ago. 

17 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Damn, was half expecting dad to die, or the Dalek to escape and be reborn to grow as the main enemy in the new series.

I was hoping they would have the dalek survive. For this big terrible baddie they tend to all be dead by the end of the episode. I want to see a big baddie, not a series of forgettable ones 

13 hours ago, Flams said:

I was hoping they would have the dalek survive. For this big terrible baddie they tend to all be dead by the end of the episode. I want to see a big baddie, not a series of forgettable ones 

Wasn't that the teeth collector dudes role?

4 hours ago, NEG said:

Wasn't that the teeth collector dudes role?

Yes, and I enjoyed it when he popped up again. But he was a bit shit all told. 

Only just watched the NYD episode, but I thought it was an absolute belter. Loved how scary the Dalek was, especially while possessing Lyn, which really reminded me of classic Dr Who (Planet of the Spiders springs to mind). And I thought the relationships stuff was wonderfully handled, especially the scene with Graham and the boxes of toys kept by Grace for her son.

I've also been catching up with the back half of Capaldi's season, which I skipped at the time as I was thoroughly sick of Clara and the show in general just wasn't doing much for me (despite liking Capaldi). I have to say, I couldn't be happier that Chibnall is in charge now. I think anyone unhappy with the current season would do well to re-watch tripe like 'In The Forest of the Night', and the total shit-show that is 'Dark Water/Death in Heaven' before judging the current show too harshly. I hope Chibnall has as decent a crack at the Cybermen as he did the Daleks, as they really have been treated badly as villains by both Moffat and RTD. I mean, the Brigadier as a re-animated corpse Cyberman FFS...:facepalm:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I genuinely didn't see the dalek namedrop coming (I missed the trailer spoilers), even after seeing the thing fully splayed out on the wall, like I'd totally forgotten what daleks even look like! I've been so sidelined by this series distancing itself from classic monsters that, when the Doctor said she was detecting "the most dangerous enemy in the galaxy" (or words to that effect), I instinctively expected a monster-of-the-week with a lore and backstory to be rattled off in another stream of Chibnallean exposition and then forgotten about forever. Thankfully not.

There's still too much expositionary technobabble, but on the whole I liked it. Dalek building a new armour out of bits of metal in a warehouse was pretty cool, and it felt threatening in a way that daleks haven't for years. I'd just like these episodes to slow the hell down a bit, calm it on the rush-rush-rush pacing. Do longer serials again if we're going for that style of show anyway. If we can keep the tone, keep the characters, keep the production values and episodic concepts, but just slow down a bit and get some better goddamned writers in, the next series could be fantastic.