FishyFish

Doctor Who

maybe its just me but im kinda getting tired of another episode where the humans have turned out to be the vilian's (the majority of this season that seems to be the case). 

I kinda miss my cybermen/ daleks big threat style villian.  So far this season none of the new "aliens" have been what i would call potential classic's that i would like to see show up at some point.

It was a good episode but kinda feels  like another lets go for another emotional we cant change the past ending   - which would have been good if we hadnt already had one done better this season with Rosa

I thought the episode was a bit dull (although it tugged at the heartstrings very effectively) but it was JW’s best performance so far. “I like biscuits!”

There's a good, tragic story at the heart of this episode.  The Doctor and pals did nothing at all.  Neither did the Aliens.  If you removed all that and spent a bit more time with the characters - in particular the relationship with the two brothers you'd probably have a great one off drama.  Not a Doctor Who episode obviously.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

this is BTTF all over again: How come she doesn't recognise her?

Yaz did mention that she was a blood relative, or something, when they first met. If Yay's grandmother does remember that woman she met 70 years previous, she may be justifying the resemblance as a family trait or a symptom of her mind filling in blanks with familiar faces. Alternatively, she may recognise her, but be reluctant to say anything in case her family believe she's losing her mental faculties. I imagine that Yaz's family will learn about The Doctor in the near future, and her gran will get to make the connection, in the same way that Rose told her mum about her experience meeting her Dad in the 2005 series.

• Upvote 2

You probably wouldn’t really remember someone who turned up for a day that long ago (especially in the light of the massive personal events which occurred). If she does meet the whole troop of them together it might be a different story of course.

9 hours ago, JPickford said:

There's a good, tragic story at the heart of this episode.  The Doctor and pals did nothing at all.  Neither did the Aliens.  If you removed all that and spent a bit more time with the characters - in particular the relationship with the two brothers you'd probably have a great one off drama.  Not a Doctor Who episode obviously.

Id agree with that. 

17 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Well this is a fun lecture on colonialism episode of Doctor Who.

I really liked this having known absolutely nothing about the partition of India previously.

However you seem to have a better grip on the history here, what's a good honest source to read on this?

• Upvote 3

I liked it. It's good to see Who using its time travel theme to explore actual interesting parts of modern history that its audience might not know about, rather than just the usual Romans & Shakespeare sort of stuff. And the fact it's using the mixed heritage of the current TARDIS crew to actually drive the storylines rather than as the PC box-ticking exercise the usual suspects have been accusing them of.

Some of the acting was a bit poor though (the guest actors rather than the main crew). And the way in which Old Nan had a completely different accent to Young Nan was a bit odd.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

And the way in which Old Nan had a completely different accent to Young Nan was a bit odd.

Ah but that's because Old Nan was speaking English with her own accent. Young Nan was speaking her own language which was translated into English by the Tardis, and as we know from the Doctor's Wife the Tardis has quite a posh accent.

• Upvote 7

21 hours ago, JPickford said:

Actually the doctor and pals had the most important element, watching your family suffer and being powerless to do anything about it. 

Fantastic episode. It very much feels like the writers are taking on themselves to educate people about the world and important historical events. It feels extremely poignant at a time when people are being divided throughout the world. It's not perhaps the classic Who we'd like, but it's certainly excellent viewing when on form like this. The two best episodes this series have been this and Rosa. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Actually the doctor and pals had the most important element, watching your family suffer and being powerless to do anything about it. 

Wut?

I don't understand people saying stuff like this isn't Doctor Who and "oh no, not Earth again". The purpose of the show was originally to help educate about science and important historical events. This kind of thing fits the bill, does it not?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand people saying stuff like this isn't Doctor Who and "oh no, not Earth again". The purpose of the show was originally to help educate about science and important historical events. This kind of thing fits the bill, does it not?

it's perfect.

• Upvote 2

On 11/11/2018 at 23:05, JPickford said:

That wouldn't get several million viewers.

13 hours ago, nakamura said:

Isn't it rather similar to not being able to do anything in the Rosa Parks episode?

7 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Isn't it rather similar to not being able to do anything in the Rosa Parks episode?

It's a little different in that in Rosa there was a threat to the outcome which gave the Doctor something to do.   In this episode the Doctor had nothing to do.  And did nothing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JPickford said:

It's a little different in that in Rosa there was a threat to the outcome which gave the Doctor something to do.   In this episode the Doctor had nothing to do.  And did nothing.

Wasn't the whole point that they had to do nothing?

4 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Wasn't the whole point that they had to do nothing?

Was it?  They decided that that it would be wrong to affect the outcome.  Same as in Rosa but in that story they had something to do to protect the outcome.  Here they just did nothing other than run the risk of causing Yaz to not be born.  From that point of view it was extremely stupid to get involved at all. 

Another argument might be that they should have saved Prem just like they save innocent people most weeks.  Every time they do that it presumably changes who gets born in the future so Yaz isn't special and someone else would likely have been born instead.

I thought it was superb, and once again an excellent modernisation of the original premise of the show. Also Graham continues to be one of the best companions ever.

Both this episode and Rosa managed to feel extremely relevant to current issues too. I liked the line about the brother being radicalised by "pamphlets and angry men on the radio".

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I thought it was superb, and once again an excellent modernisation of the original premise of the show. Also Graham continues to be one of the best companions ever.

Both this episode an Rosa managed to feel extremely relevant to current issues too. I liked the line about the brother being radicalised by "pamphlets and angry men on the radio".

My wife, who's a minority found it very relevant to society today. First thing she said when it finished. To me, that suggests it did a lot of good.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I would have went the other way and not had aliens in the episode. Can't time travel be enough on it's own? 

I've been listening to some Big Finish stories of the First Doctor (David Bradley ones) because I'm amazingly cool, hip and interesting. They've made an effort for each release to have a space episode and a pure time travel episode on Earth like how the show started. Admittedly they've used a crutch of the early episodes too with the time travel episodes being "oh no, we need to get back to the tardis but we can't" stories but it's nice to have the story not require wibbly wobbly tricks, technological shortcuts or a big bad alien behind it all. 

It's a kids show. I can't see the harm in using how fascinating history can be to keep them entertained. 

• Upvote 5