FishyFish

Doctor Who

I can't watch the episode until later, but I managed a sneaky watch of the intro. I approve! :D

Based on the first episode the show itself has had a real shake up, but the intro and theme is a wonderful nod back to its very beginnings.

The doctor and companions are fine but both the scripts have been so dull. Neither episode has had a clear problem/enemy to build situations around, just lots of running from one thing to the next with a few 'doctor like' speeches and explanations in between, it isn't gripping at all.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jackson said:

The doctor and companions are fine but both the scripts have been so dull. Neither episode has had a clear problem/enemy to build situations around, just lots of running from one thing to the next, it isn't gripping at all.

don't worry guys, I got this...

*ahem*

"was this your first episode of Doctor Who?"

• Upvote 2

Yeah really enjoying the look and cast but the plotting’s all over the shop. As Jackson says they just run from one thing to another, the Doctor explains it, the Doctor fixes it then they’re off again. 

Bit of a shame as Jodie’s excellent. 

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

don't worry guys, I got this...

*ahem*

"was this your first episode of Doctor Who?"

Obviously not. All the most memorable episodes for me have a enemy or dilemma which drives the plot. Weeping angels, a dalek, the end of the universe, whatever. This had 

Spoiler

Crash landing, strange hologram man, robots, sentient bandages...

Was the point of the story the race? Finding the TARDIS? Getting one over on the race organiser? The gruff man who had a shit childhood finding redemption? One of those things done well would've been good, not all of them done weakly

Chibnall is all about "putting out multiple fires" as he puts it. Essentially running around dealing with multiple strands at once. I'm really, really hoping for a standout enemy this series though. Don't forget for every weeping angel, dalek or cyberman there are literally hundreds of run-of-the-mill generic blokes wrapped in polystyrene who you never think about again. Nevermind the CG dustbins and so on. But I've always thought the showrunners were only as good as their best baddie personally.

As for that episode, looked and sounded great, the cast are all great and the atmosphere was a bit melancholy and interesting. But the plot was a little thin. Still, I liked it plenty.

14 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah really enjoying the look and cast but the plotting’s all over the shop. As Jackson says they just run from one thing to another, the Doctor explains it, the Doctor fixes it then they’re off again. 

Bit of a shame as Jodie’s excellent. 

But it was usually the same in Moffat's run. We've only had two episodes - give it time.

Another difference between this and a Davies/Moffat episode was they got themselves out of a sticky situation in a basic but satisfying way using items and knowledge foreshadowed earlier in the episode. It was coherent and didn't involve a deus ex machina or the overeliance on the screwdriver.

• Upvote 3

I’ve watched these first two episodes with my boys and it’s been pretty good. They seem to be really enjoying it, so just watching them get excited by it is the best thing.

Anyway, I was wondering if the scripts are deliberately dumbed down for the younger audience? I noticed some of the language seems a bit simplistic. In this episode, for example, she kept saying that there was once life on the planet but where were the people. I presume her calling them people is to make it easier for kids to understand. Is that right?

It feels a bit out of place to me, but I don’t think my boys saw anything wrong with it.

Why not call them people? They were a relatively advanced civilisation rather than just some kind of wild creatures roaming about like cattle or whatever.

48 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

But it was usually the same in Moffat's run. We've only had two episodes - give it time.

Another difference between this and a Davies/Moffat episode was they got themselves out of a sticky situation in a basic but satisfying way using items and knowledge foreshadowed earlier in the episode. It was coherent and didn't involve a deus ex machina or the overeliance on the screwdriver.

Spoiler

Chekhov's self-igniting cigar!

New TARDIS: I like the "porch" area. (Which doesn't get mentioned in the making of video below.) Not so sure about the Fortress of Solitude crystals - and it does seem a little too dark and unwelcoming; when they walked in at the end of the episode, I wondered if the room was going to light up!

Also: bit awkward how we get the next episode teaser within the credits before the end title card, followed immediately by a fuller next episode trailer (that repeats some bits) as part of the BBC presentation.

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why not call them people? They were a relatively advanced civilisation rather than just some kind of wild creatures roaming about like cattle or whatever.

Because they’re not human. It’s not a big deal, but I thought parts of the script felt a bit off and was wondering whether that was the reason, rather than lazy writing. I’ve never watched it before, so don’t know it that’s its thing.

The best bits were the intense opening scene on the bloke’s ship, the Venusian Aikido, and the biscuit dispenser. I like it!

• Upvote 1

I'm liking it. Jodie is fab and it looks fantastic.

Only gripe is it does feel a bit simpler than before, but maybe it needs it to bring back the audience. Slightly irritating when the dialog is constantly asking questions which seems to be for the benefit of the audience.

But hopefully as we progress the scripts will tighten up. Bradley is proving pretty good also.

• Upvote 1