Whos Got A Gizmondo Then?

JPickford (retired mod)

well it's not all bad - I saw jodie kidd at the launch party!

The playable gizmondo units were hidden away in the corners of the bar. Which was nice.

oops - kidd, not marsh. I'm such a flid.

If i'd have known you were there I'd have said hi.

It was a very sureal night, and did confirm my suspision of all celebrites are short arses. Chatting to Jamie Cullum and that Kensie* hurt my back from bending down to hear them talk (and I'm not that tall).

*I have no idea who he is, and that was kinda the theme of the conversation. "Who are you? and why are the girls all getting excited?"

I did want to ask why he was pinching Jodie Marshes arse, as she must be the ugliest thing under the sun.

Had a wander up Regent St this afternoon (Sunday), and thought I might pop in their store to have a quick look at it - no intention of buying one, mind you, especially having just bought a DS and a cheap Zodiac in the last couple of days.

However the brains trust behind this whole enterprise thought otherwise - the store was closed. This was around 4pm, so I doubt it was due to Sunday opening hours restrictions - every other shop on Regent St was open. Whilst I was stood outside peering in, another guy tried the door, only to find it locked, so it was definitely shut.

I could make out a few monitors on at the back of the store, and some demo units at the front, but all the lights were off and no-one was visible inside. I suspect most people passing by would have assumed it was a vacant unit - the Gizmondo signage outside isn't very prominent.

I would love to see the business plans, meeting minutes, etc behind this entire enterprise - it would appear to be a cluster f*** unrivalled since the hey days of the dot-com boom.

The hardware itself seems pretty nice, but software wise it's terrible.

It doesn't stand a chance against the PSP or DS.

And I can't see why someone would choose this ugly thing over a PDA, if they wanted the GPS stuff.

I'm off to the apple store in a little while, I'll pop in to have a look at the Gizmondo afterwards... it's halfway down towards Piccadilly right?

It think it's nearer the Oxford Circus end of Regent Street but there isn't much in it.

What is it with fucked up companies making stupid consoles nobody wants (see also Phantom)?

If a venture capital company wants to give you $250million to develop a console and try to get in on that big gaming pie would you say no?

You've got a point there. Surely the thing with never see a profit though.

I don't think they care. They'll enjoy the money while they can and have some fun while doing it. This launch party thing, which seems unnecessary, must have been great to attend...