Whos Got A Gizmondo Then?

JPickford (retired mod)

Not surprisingly ASDA did not have any for sale. But they had heard of it! (So, I thought I’d by RE 4, but they’ve stopped selling GameCube games.) Perhaps Dixons will have some Gizmondos?

Nope only store to have any is flagship store on Regent Street. In a double wammy of planning and good PR the shop on its opening day is...

CLOSED! To the public.

Yes Gizmondo do very little advertising or PR, there big thing being come to the store on open day, so I do and what do I find but its closed for a Press event. The lovely (as normal) PR girl informed me while giggling and playing with her hair that it should be open again to the public in a few hours!

Its insane why not have the press event tonight or more importanlty last night so copy could be in todays press. It is PR suicide to close your store for half its launch day just for the press!

More importantly they didn't invite me to the press event I'm pissed now!

Well I finally got one and after spending about 30 minutes setting up I've got to say its a nice idea but really a bit shit. Unit feels nice but shoulder buttons are horrible I mean they actually hurt to use. The user interface is a nightmare after the easy PSP and even DS interface. The music and video playback is fine but even though it is windows media play compatible refuses to play some of my WMV files!

Registering on the web site is horrible and slow, the unit itself has failed to set up the GPS system even once and I'm in the center of London! If it won't work here where will it work!

I can't work out how to do the top up on the pay as you go sim card and I can't seem to make it send a text message. Bluetooth won't connect to my laptop and update my address lists over <_<

Games are ok the demo of the wheel game is ok but hard to control. The shoot'em'up Angel fish is fun though and I'm enjoying it. But really it has to improve or I see it in the bargin buckets within 6 months.

It has some great potential I just hope they use it.

Registering on the web site is horrible and slow, the unit itself has failed to set up the GPS system  even once and I'm in the center of London! If it won't work here where will it work!

If you manage to get the GPS working I would love to know how good it is. Can it plan routes for you? Show you good maps? Speak directions? Cope with roads being closed?

Does it come with software to turn your dvds into wmv / mpeg4 ?

If you manage to get the GPS working I would love to know how good it is. Can it plan routes for you? Show you good maps? Speak directions? Cope with roads being closed?

Does it come with software to turn your dvds into wmv / mpeg4 ?

This is what I'm interested in. If it comes with Sat Nav (or whatever it's called) out of the box I think I'll partake. If it comes at an additional cost then I'll be less interested.

No DVD ripping software in the box infact no software at all.

As for GPS tried it in Hyde park this afternoon, no big buildings outside and still no GPS working. Supposedly its free for basic telling you where you are but if you want in car sat nav type applications you need to buy more software

No DVD ripping software in the box infact no software at all.

As for GPS tried it in Hyde park this afternoon, no big buildings outside and still no GPS working. Supposedly its free for basic telling you where you are but if you want in car sat nav type applications you need to buy more software

That's not so good.

Where can you buy the sat nav software from and how much does it cost?

I guess you can get DVD to mpeg4 software for free??

Well I had a trail round the shops trying to find one - and as it was their release day, had surprisingly bad results. (I know it was never going to be a big seller, but I expected at least a couple of places to stock the darn things...)

GAME - none in stock -might get them in if the market for them increases.

Gamestation - no intention of getting them in stock at any point

Software Store - not stocking them

Another World (aka forbidden Planet) - not stocking them

CEX - would take them second hand as trades but have no plans to stock them

Maplin - not stocking them (despite selling other GPS devices)

Dixons - sniggered, and said "No, I don't think so". (despite selling other GPS devices, and even having a Zodiac in stock)

So there you go, it never even got the chance to die.

Well I had a trail round the shops trying to find one - and as it was their release day, had surprisingly bad results. (I know it was never going to be a big seller, but I expected at least a couple of places to stock the darn things...)

GAME - none in stock -might get them in if the market for them increases.

Gamestation - no intention of getting them in stock at any point

Software Store - not stocking them

Another World (aka forbidden Planet) - not stocking them

CEX - would take them second hand as trades but have no plans to stock them

Maplin - not stocking them (despite selling other GPS devices)

Dixons - sniggered, and said "No, I don't think so". (despite selling other GPS devices, and even having a Zodiac in stock)

So there you go, it never even got the chance to die.

Mmmm... Maybe Minter is supporting it after all.

The whole thing is just utterly stupid.

The phantom launch was moronic beyond belief. You spend countless amounts of money sending machines out to the press (mostly to good reception), advertising on TV during prime time and youth programming, yet when interested punters go out to buy one, they don't exist. When they visit your website to order one, it doesn't exist.

4 months later when the thing does come out, interest is completely gone from the press, retail and most importantly punters, one of your competitors is already out and the only place you can buy one is from your one, single, expensive to run shop on Regent Street which people can't visit during its grand opening because you've closed it to the public so that disinterested journalists can drink your free champagne and eat your free food whilst writing about how utterly stupid you are for shutting your shop to the public and how the PSP is so much better.

Would you buy a handheld from these people?