IGNORED

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth

cyd charisse

Blur were good when they had Graham Coxon in the set.

Now he's out of the scene, Damon Albarn is running the show and if Think Tank is modern, then I don't like The Modern World that much.

Blur's best efforts were Parklife & Their Best Of... album.

New-age music, Think Tank was probably a mix of all their influences and just going on the tangent of something different.

Oasis stick to what they know best and still have their main instigator of their songs and albums (Noel) and their rebel is an icon becasue of the attitude he spreads (Liam) although I think he's mellowed since fatherhood and they should really do away with this album and stop before they are just seen as trying to make a few extra pennies for their bank accounts and not care.

Heard Lyla today - instantly forgettable.

And 'Modern Life is Rubbish' was Blur's most accomplished piece of work.

I can't back that up as I haven't got Modern Life Is Rubbish and was only lent 'Parklife' from a schoolmate back when I was 13.

Was it really THAT LONG AGO?

The Masterplan was a b-side to Wonderwall FYI....and I'm not sure that Whatever could have been recorded during the WTS sessions - IIRC WTS was recorded during a two week stint after Whatever was released......Not that I'm being pedantic or anything....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Modern Life is Rubbish is sorely overlooked. A superb album.

I think the last few Blur albums, the Gorillaz project and Coxon's solo work has clearly shown that Blur are on a different level to Oasis.

It's almost a cliche to say it but Oasis really do seem to be totally devoid of ideas. I don't think it's that they are cynical, I think they are just lacking the ability to move forward.

Modern Life is Rubbish is sorely overlooked. A superb album.

I think the last few Blur albums, the Gorillaz project and Coxon's solo work has clearly shown that Blur are on a different level to Oasis.

It's almost a cliche to say it but Oasis really do seem to be totally devoid of ideas. I don't think it's that they are cynical, I think they are just lacking the ability to move forward.

Your right on the first count - Modern Life is amongst their best.

However, the last two Blur albums have been disappointing - Think Tank in particular was an ugly unfocused mess. Coxon's depature (and most recent solo album) suggest that Blur are struggling without his influence. Personally I'm no great fan of the Gorrilaz material....

As for Oasis - they've been treading water for a while - but Heathen Chemisty and the newie are both solid records that are far more enjoyable then Blur's recent output

I am always astonished at the flack that Think Tank gets. For me its Blurs second greatest record (behind the self-titled) and a beautiful piece of work. As for Oasis...well, Im astonished anyone cares about them really. Only one good album in a decade, since then its been increaasingly bland repitions of the same work. And the lyrics are so meaningless and just terrible!

I also think that Think Tank is a lovely album. One bad track, Crazy Beat, and a number of truly beautiful tracks. It also has the bonus of sounding nicely different.

13 was a bit of mess in places but still had enough to make it essential. Blur, by Blur, remains a terrific album that, again, didn't get the praise it deserved, in my opinion, being totally overshadowed by Be Here Now.

I can't remember the last time I put Be Here Now in my CD player and managed to make it all the way through the album.

my flatmate is well into oasis, has been for ages, and he said this was good, especially that first single. I think it's just really samey and find it amusing they still think they are able to just stay still forever. I like their old stuff though.

Oasis were always just a band who performed fairly decent pop tunes. They're not 'rock n roll', and they're not the best band in the world.

Has anyone seen Live Forever? Noel is an arrogant cunt. It'd be okay if he wasn't writing fairly average pop songs these days. I'd take Blur, anyday.

I think the whole Oasis thing is to marmite at the moment. The album in truth (and this is said from a oasis fan boy POV) is good.

Lyla is the poorest song on there but Sony have the final decision on what to release as singles and reading other forums they wanted a pop-like first single.

However, all the other tracks (all being in the oasis mould bar "mucky fingers") are simple rock-like songs.

Liams voice has been better, Noels lyrics (Bar the genuinley fantastic "Importance of being Idle") have been better, but so what ?? I love it - if I wanted challenging music I'd stick my Radiohead on. But I don't.

Long live oasis I say.

Oasis were always just a band who performed fairly decent pop tunes. They're not 'rock n roll', and they're not the best band in the world.

Has anyone seen Live Forever? Noel is an arrogant cunt. It'd be okay if he wasn't writing fairly average pop songs these days. I'd take Blur, anyday.

And Damon Albarn comes accross as a rounded human being in Live Forever, does he?!!?

"I'm not going to answer questions about that." *Strums ukelele* :wacko:

• 1 month later...

so i'm late to the party here but having listened to Oasis' new album tonight it has restored a little bit of my faith in them. it's quite organic sounding and isn't afraid to rock out a little here and there. for once, i'm not annoyed at Noel's singing either. it's sounds really creative to me. this is not the Oasis of recent times. it's mellow and forgiving, almost regretful.

i would love to see them perform this in a little venue. never gonna happen but it's got that newness about it.

well done Oasis!