IGNORED

Phantasy Star Universe

Beertiger

• 3 months later...

There was a new movie released at the end of july and loads of new screens today. How this shit didn't get posted I don't know.

phantasy-star-universe-20050823065558560.jpg

phantasy-star-universe-20050823065604919.jpg

phantasy-star-universe-20050823065616074.jpg

phantasy-star-universe-20050823065600934.jpg

phantasy-star-universe-20050823065609746.jpg

Now I see the PS2 buttons but I sure as hell don't believe those graphics are running on a PS2, at least not at such a high resolution.

Come on SEGA, this would make a great X360 launch title and win over those crazy Japanese for MS.

• 1 month later...

Two amazing new trailers from the TGS are on GameTrailers.com. Link

The 'network' movie is features character creation, your personal room (ala FFXI), mags and lobby actions.

The second movie looks to cover the single player game. It features loads of different characters and some fighting scenes.

Lovely graphics, probably some FMV too. Oh and the music is ace too.

Tell me you don't need this game NOW!

-EDIT-

New stuff on the official website too. http://phantasystaruniverse.com/

Highlights of which are shown on the front page of PSO World. http://www.planetdreamcast.com/psoworld/index.php

I've been all thorugh the official site and it's full of eye candy, be handy if you could read Japanese. A nice sticky on the PSO World forum details all the known facts about PSU so far. The release dates do seem a little optimistic though.

Platforms:

-Playstation 2

-PC

Release Dates:

- Japan : December 2005

- United States : Feburary 2006

It is unknown for sure if the PC and PS2 versions will be released at the same time.

Main characters:

-Ethan Webber

-Karen Ella

-Hyuga Ryght

-Tonnio Rhima

-Leogini S.B.

-Lou

-Players will be able to travel back and forth between the three planets of the Grail universe.

-The plants names are Parum, Neudaiz and Moatoob.

-Player-controlled vehicles.

-Two different RPGs in one package.

-Online mode supporting up to 6 players in a game.

-Offline mode, 40 hours of single-player exploration.

-Gameplay relatively similar to PSO

-Characters can dual wield different weapons

-A massive overworld with more than 20 different dungeons

-15 gigantic bosses.

-Plan to include additional downloadable content for several years.

-Guns can/are fired in a 1st person perspective, but without the ability to stafe(move side to side, front to back)

-Does not need the support of the PS2 HD(Hard Drive)

-Much more fluid attack animations

-Brand new enemies in addition to old staples such as the Rag Rappy

-mags have been replaced by bots called partner machinery which are capable of battle and creating items.

-races include: Humans, Casts, Newmans, and Beasts

-deeper character creation. Can now change color of clothes, eyes, lips, hair and shoes.

-Lobbys from PSO have been replaced with huge citys in PSU

-You can customize different skills into your weapon, which will add different abilitys to it, like shooting fire or being able to do a 6 hit combo.

-Dungeon layouts and enemy spawn points change based on the time of day you enter the dungeon.

• 1 month later...

More news scanned from a US magazine:

http://www.segaforever.de/games/playstatio...rse-scan-02.jpg

http://www.segaforever.de/games/playstatio...rse-scan-03.jpg

http://www.segaforever.de/games/playstatio...rse-scan-04.jpg

http://www.segaforever.de/games/playstatio...rse-scan-05.jpg

http://www.segaforever.de/games/playstatio...rse-scan-06.jpg

Preorder bonus items include a Visual Guide and CD. According to a news article, the Visual Guide will include concept drawings, character information, planet illustrations, and much more! The CD will include the Main and Opening themes for Phantasy Star Universe.

Visual Guide and CD

11-27-screen7.jpg

The bear wants preorder bonuses :D

• 4 months later...

YES!

Sega's confirmed that its forthcoming RPG Phantasy Star Universe will appear on Xbox 360, promising "a single-player action adventure spanning multiple planets" that's accompanied by "a robust online multiplayer component that will support Xbox Live".

Phantasy Star Universe's single-player section apparently offers over 40 hours of gameplay and relates the tale of hero boy Ethan Waber. Waber's a 17-year old cadet who embarks on an epic journey - no, truly - with events kicking off when he rescues his sister at the Guardians. It says here that the Guardians is a colony under siege by mysterious life forms known as The Seed.

In online mode, meanwhile, PSU lets players create their own characters, explore three planets situated in the Gurhal system, go questing and fight stuff. You can party-up with up to five other PSU-ers - and enter urban sprawls "teeming with hundreds of other players" - and, as it's an RPG, customise your character's physical appearance and lovingly nurture your avatar into super-powered online ninja. Or something.

"Phantasy Star has a rich history, and now with Phantasy Star Universe in support of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, gamers can enjoy a fantasy role-playing experience of unprecedented depth both online with their friends, and offline in the robust single-player game," Scott A. Steinberg, vice president of Entertainment Marketing, Sega of America, Inc., has stated.

Developed by Sega Studios, Phantasy Star Universe is out in the autumn.

I'm so glad it's coming out on a system with a decent online service.

The Xbox is dead both at retail and internally at Microsoft. Wasn't going to happen.

Here's a question: Would you be able to play this with a Silver account, considering that you have to pay for a hunters licence or would you need both the hunters and a Gold account.

I'm guessing it's the latter, but I don't know whether, say, FFXI lets you play online without Gold.

The Xbox is dead both at retail and internally at Microsoft. Wasn't going to happen.

Here's a question: Would you be able to play this with a Silver account, considering that you have to pay for a hunters licence or would you need both the hunters and a Gold account.

I'm guessing it's the latter, but I don't know whether, say, FFXI lets you play online without Gold.

According to Microsoft, games with their own subscription fees are playable without the need for a Gold account, so it should be the former. :unsure:

According to Microsoft, games with their own subscription fees are playable without the need for a Gold account, so it should be the former. :unsure:

That's good.

HOWEVER.

I found a snag in the whole thing. If it's compatible with the PS2 and PC versions, then it won't be running through Live (ala FFXI) and will be using the exact same online interface as those versions, therefore no voice chat or clever friend-list and dashboard gubbins.

Therefore, the PS2 version might be the best option after all in so much that I don't have an HD telly and PS2 doesn't have a DVD drive that sounds like an aircraft taking off.