IGNORED

Phantasy Star Universe

Beertiger

My first real MMO-prefixed experience and I enjoyed it, confusing though it was. Am I right in saying that by using those spinning crystals you can change universes? And if you know what universe your mates are in you can go there? That would be good.

Anyway, had a quick mission, which reminded me of Phantom Dust, and wandered about the lobby. Do people become more articulate as the game goes on?

Heh, this thread is amusing. I've been playing the Japanese version for 6 weeks now and the network side of things has been an incredible cock up. For the first 3 weeks of the game it took 10-40 mins of retrying just to get into the game, and thats just the begining of the problems...

-Jools

Heh, this thread is amusing. I've been playing the Japanese version for 6 weeks now and the network side of things has been an incredible cock up. For the first 3 weeks of the game it took 10-40 mins of retrying just to get into the game, and thats just the begining of the problems...

-Jools

If you've been playing it for a while, you'll understand it better than most of us. Is my Friends Card comment above valid or can you join people using them?

I found it nigh on impossible to find friends who weren't in the same city as me as I couldn't see a way to quick-jump to them like i could have back on good ol' PSO.

From what I've now gathered, there's no way to fast-warp to a City/Universe using your friends guild cards, which was pretty much the whole point of having the cards in PSO.

MAJOR oversight if this makes the final build.

I believe this is true. The guild cards are purely there for email-style communication (so you could y'know ask them which server they are on) and for seeing who is currently online. So yeah, the cards are not completely pointless but giving them less functionality than in PSO is a bit daft.

RE: Jools to something you said earlier in the thread - you said people should buy the PS2 and then download the PC version to get two for one. Is there some sort of legitimate free client download in Japan or are you talking purely of the Yarr variety?

My character is meant to be able to use techs up to level 10, I bought Resta from the shop, "learnt" it, but how do I get to use it? I've went through every menu I think but can't find an option for it. Ok carrying 20 monomates is handy + can be used very quickly via the B button, but I wanna use Resta damnit!

This could be a lot of fun once the server sorts itself out. At present I'm slashing someone, waiting half a minute for the damage to integrate itself into their bodies and cause them to die, then I'm getting disconnected from the server.

I don't just hope that they fix these issues, they absolutely need to. The game's been practically unplayable for me this far.

So STILL loads of people having no luck connecting with a notice that refers you to the official site, where there is NO information whatsoever about what might be happening and why they cant connect... I know i'm not the only one who spent a lot of time today (yesterday...) downloading off the marketplace only to spend a load more time trying to connect. I'm really pissed off!

I'm pretty resigned to not being able to connect at any point now, and I if I didnt know I was going to enjoy the full game so dam much i'd be very tempted to completely boycot it after this!

I connect almost every time. I still drop out every now and again, but those servers are really overloaded.

Let's not get into annoying networking talk in this thread, but if you're having problems connecting, try checking to see if your 360 NAT is set to "open" rather than "restricted". That fucked up a lot of TDU players apparently, and I'd be interested to know if it's having an effect here.

Google it, but whatever you do, don't post about it here. Nothing kills fun faster than bloody NETWORKING.

I've totally got to grips with the controls now (though using the bumpers rather than the triggers as your main modifier buttons was fucking stupid, and clearly just based on the PS2 control layout), and have a decent understanding of how the game works and how everything is laid out. I'm loving the new actions palette and the way that techs and different types of attack are binded to weapons. I've even gotten the hang of how your partner machinery manufactures new equipment, though there won't be enough time to get anything good out of it during the beta period.

So has anyone found more missions than the two I've found? There's a foresty one down on the planet that you'll need a party for since the bad guys are about level fifteen, and the Linear Line mission on the fourth floor of the main city for us noobs. Any more?

I'm fucking loving it. Having been on for a few hours, I've been able to talk a lot of brand new newbies through the different stuff they can do, and it's been great playing with all the PSO virgins. Everyone I've played with has been friendly and wants to know as much as possible about the game*. A nice little community already.

Bye bye, life.

* - Though this can be entirely attributed to Sega's decision to dump an incredibly complicated demo onto the marketplace without so much as a hint of advice on how to play the fucking thing. Be nice, folks - once you've worked it all out, share that knowledge with the people who still can't manage to find their way into a bloody mission.

So, I've spent the evening playing this. I've fallen in love all over again.

I'll have to agree with this, considering the fact that it's a beta demo, I'm rather impressed. Too bad not everyone is having the same experience.

And what was that thread a while ago about human males playing as female game avatars? I'm not a fan of most of the male character models in this game, so I'm playing as a female (add to that the fact that I don't like the current clothes that I have => I'm wandering around in my underwear :unsure: ). Much better than looking at a semi naked male avatar in any event!

So, ..... ah, .... the point being: We will have to start over again with a new character for the full game, right?

I'm loving the new actions palette and the way that techs and different types of attack are binded to weapons.

My understanding is that you require some manner of card(s) to combine with different weapons? How do you get them (the cards)?

I've even gotten the hang of how your partner machinery manufactures new equipment, though there won't be enough time to get anything good out of it during the beta period.

The robot in your room? If so, an interesting concept, a fair amount of depth.

So has anyone found more missions than the two I've found? There's a foresty one down on the planet that you'll need a party for since the bad guys are about level fifteen, and the Linear Line mission on the fourth floor of the main city for us noobs. Any more?

I'm pretty sure I've come across at least two (possibly three?) different 'forest' levels. Are there more?

I'm fucking loving it.

Yep, this ^.

Google it, but whatever you do, don't post about it here. Nothing kills fun faster than bloody NETWORKING.

You're entirely right. When you can't connect to the fucking servers without massive lag or getting kicked every ten minutes, you're not going to have much fun at all.

I'm tired, irate and my network status is open. I'm hoping to have some good and hassle free games later on, but if the servers are giving me and so many other people shit I think it's valid enough to mention that the servers are messing with me something fierce.

Hopefully it'll sort itself out soon. Maybe Mr. Sega will be nice enough to take note of what's happened and sort it out quickstyle.

Edit: Just gave it another go - it's working much better than it was a few hours ago. Still some delay in picking up items and enemies taking damage, but I've had no minute long loading screens and the like for a while.

My network status has always been "moderate", but I've never had any problems doing anything on Live, including connecting to the PSU beta. I don't think this is the problem. :unsure:

I had a few good games last night, and while the game feels a little dated in many ways, it's still great un. I'll definitely be getting the full game now.

There are some extra missions offered from the spaceport and that forest planet, but they require a party where everyone is over level 5, or level 15, so I havent been able to select them yet.

I haven't found the option to join people on my friends list yet either, which is annoying. I usually use the Guide button but the option is never there.

I absoulutely loved PSO - one of my favourite games.

PSU on the other hand was disapointing, over complicated and had little effort put into it.

The graphics were vertually exactly the same as PSU FFS!

The only reason i'd get this is for the single player.

Oh and don't make me start on the loading times...

Real dispointment :unsure: