IGNORED

Phantasy Star Universe

Beertiger

What's wrong with you freaks

Sega's Sonic Team is set to revive one of the Dreamcast's finest hours, with the advent of Phantasy Star Universe, a brand new massively multiplayer RPG which is set for release before the end of this year on Xbox, PC and PS2.

"A MMORPG on the Dreamcast? Surely you jest?" we hear you cry. But no kids, it's all true. And Phantasy Star Online was a highly regarded, early 56k console delve into the world of online, possibly only surpassed by the glorious mismatch which saw Dreamcast owners wholesale slaughter at the hands of PC Quake III Arena players.

Actually we broke first details on this last year, when it was slated as a GameCube exclusive. But a whole lot has changed since then because now Phantasy Star Universe is set to rock Xbox, PC and PS2 owners' bones before the end of 2005, with a release in the US and Japan currently pegged for around November.

There's few details at present except that Phantasy Star Universe is being developed by Sega's mighty Sonic team, and that in its consoles incarnations it will support up to 65 players and cost around $65 in the US.

No details on whether there'll be an ongoing subscription or not, but we have seen the first cheeky image from the game and we have to report it really does seem to live up to the sumptuous graphics of its illustrious predecessor. Wouldn't it be great if Sonic Team could also implement some swinging cross-platform action too, with PC players adventuring alongside their Xbox counterparts? One from our great gaming wish list.

Anyway, we're currently awaiting a response from Sega HQ on possible European release dates and details but we have to say it's great to see one of the classic online franchises revived. Phantasy Star Universe should further cement Sega's growing presence in the MMORPG online world.

More on Phantasy Star Universe as it arrives.

Fuck WoW i think i'll wait for this.

It looks more like a cross between a real MMORPG and the original PSO. 65 players instead of 4 and a high initial price. Hopefully that'll mean no subscription

Last I heard, PSU wasn't due till mid 2006 (Edge interview with Naka) - and isn't it a bit late to be releasing a MMORPG on all three consoles when they'll all be completely redundant come release?

Well, maybe not redundant - but certainly in the process of being overshadowed by their successors. Where did you get that information from?

From Chairman Steve?

Are they still alive? Anyway, that information contrasts with what Naka says and, furthermore, doesn't seem very plausible.

Like I said, why release a MMORPG towards the end of this generation? I just don't see this happening. Like I don't see Xbox 2 this year.

Looking at the price point and the number of players, I'm thinking some of this info might be credible - were it in the context of next-gen ramblings.

That and most of the article just sounds like wishful thinking, or blatantly is wishful thinking. Hey, I still play PSO on xbox and I'd love for PSU to be a true successor but I just don't buy this.

If they can beat the cheats, then the game will have a much more fruitful life, I can guarantee.

Agreed, though the thought of playing PSO with randoms these days is terrifying - it's like the dole queue in the lobby, what with everyone smoking weed. Or alluding to smoking weed. Or making smiley's smoking weed. :unsure:

Lobby 10, bypass toss rangers. Life isn't so bad. ;)

So everybody was saying how CVG weren't reputable and quoting other sites as saying it was offline only.

So erm why has Naka in an interview with EGM said this

the PS2 is the hardware with the biggest market right now, and the next-generation platforms won't have a very large installed base at first. It would be fairly risky to launch an online game for these new systems too early.

So an online RPG for the PS2 and PC only. Damn them. Looks like the PC version for me.

You know that feeling when you're right, well obviously some of the people in here don't but i'm sure others do. Boo yeah!

So everybody was saying how CVG weren't reputable and quoting other sites as saying it was offline only.

So erm why has Naka in an interview with EGM said this

So an online RPG for the PS2 and PC only. Damn them. Looks like the PC version for me.

You know that feeling when you're right, well obviously some of the people in here don't but i'm sure others do. Boo yeah!

Boo no.

CVG were right but what they've reported is quite vague and the online functions could well amount to a lobby full of pissed up gypsies setting virtual light to a virtual effige of Naka san himself.

Naka said it was offline only. I mean, are we likely to trust Naka (Sonic Team cock) or CVG (online incarnation of long-dead magazine) on this one? Just because Naka's done a U-TURN and incorporated an online feature (which we and CVG know NOTHING about) doesn't mean it'll be the online game either you or CVG were expecting. In fact, given it's coming out on PS2 as well, don't expect it to be particularly geared towards online play.

Plot thickens but that's about it.

In fact, given it's coming out on PS2 as well, don't expect it to be particularly geared towards online play.

Plot thickens but that's about it.

As the PS2 is the only console to currently have an MMORPG why does that make it the least likely to get one in the future?

As the PS2 is the only console to currently have an MMORPG why does that make it the least likely to get one in the future?

I'm not saying it won't get PSU. I'm saying that even if it did, it won't necessarily be taking the form of a MMORPG - or at least not a dedicated one. The userbase is too small (Japan only HDD etc) and probably still squeezing out every last gram of jizz for FFXI.

I'm just saying it might not be an MMORPG. If what gamecentral said the other day is anything approaching true, I doubt it will be. I'd love to get my hopes up as much as you would but the fact they've been vague with regards to online functionality up until now (I mean, if it were ostensibly an online game, don't you think they'd have made more fuss?) says to me that the online game won't amount to being much more than an after thought - at best a similar effort to Halo 2's online modes.

• 3 weeks later...