IGNORED

Spore

Prox

Amazing concept and technology. Nice that someone attemped to pull it off.

Dunno how it will all work together. On one hand it seems a bit screensavery. In a Black&White sense. On the other hand..people love the Sims which also seems superficial. But the Sims is about people and this is about...well geeky stuff basically.

I'm personally not too keen on the art style.

Hello.

Finally! A game that I'm truly excited about.

After watching that video I can easily see myself playing that over and over again. The video was also really well narrated. Here's hoping that it'll be fun to play and not let me down in the way that Black and White did.

Amazing concept and technology. Nice that someone attemped to pull it off.

Dunno how it will all work together. On one hand it seems a bit screensavery. In a Black&White sense. On the other hand..people love the Sims which also seems superficial. But the Sims is about people and this is about...well geeky stuff basically.

I'm personally not too keen on the art style.

Hello.

Black and white is entirely different. You were forced to put up with this stupid creature. You couldn't really do much to it. It didn't give you much feedback.

While you were trying to train it, you had to look after the people. A stupid, poorly balanced juggling act - again with lack of feedback. For example if you had too many breeders you'd end up with too many people. You'd get a lot of unemployed and all the people would sit around and do nothing. You weren't informed this, you had to guess.

Black and White was, unfortunately, utter pish. I can't believe in the 2nd one the creatures didn't have a basic communacative language. That would have made a world of difference. But noooooooo, they thought they could do without it.

Imagine if the sims couldn't communicate.

I'm in rant mode today.

Spore probably needs to good civ style feedback as you reach the higher levels, unless things are simplfied (as it looks like they might be), and a lot of it is high level.

What was my point again? Ah I can't remember.

I could, however, mention that game that is/isn't Nintendogs. What's the idea? Look after your pet? Imagine if you could create a pet. Then improve it/change it. Then get it to breed. Then watch as those few become a civilisation.

How is Spore NOT a game?!

In some aspects it could be considered more of a toy than a game, much like The Sims was consideed a digital doll house. This is no bad thing however.

So it's a toy. You can play with it pretty much how you want. How cool does that sound! They still sell Transforners/Action man don't they? :P

Anyway - isn't that great game design? So many complain about linearity. Sure, Spore is linear within certain boundaries, but within that path it seems like you can have a lot of fun.

I love Will Wright, just because he thinks about and looks at things like we should do. ;)

I want to know - during the early stages where you're still developing the physical characteristics of your creature, at what point do you stop being allowed to do that?

Aaaaaalso, where do the 'mates' appear from? Does the game just copy your creature design and make another one? Does it make lots of them?

From the video I gathered that "evolution" stops once you acquire the maximum brain upgrade, thus becoming sentient, and advance to the 'Populace' game mode, although you can creat new species (I assume).

And mates, yeah. I assume for whatever creature you create, the computer generates multiple copies for you to interact with along with the other species.

I wonder if inter-species breeding will be possible, to create wierd hybrid creatures. Or does that just make me wierd?

(edit: my 'e' key must've taken his lunch break earlier)

From the video I gathered that "evolution" stops once you acquire the maximum brain upgrade, thus becoming sentient, and advance to the 'Populace' game mode, although you can creat new species (I assume).

And mates, yeah. I assume for whatever creature you create, the computer generates multiple copies for you to interact with along with the other species.

I wonder if inter-species breeding will be possibl, to creat wierd hyvrid creatures. Or does that just make me wierd?

Not at all I'd considered that. I had a game idea similar to that years ago, revolving around creature creation then interbreeding to create creatures outside of those you could create yourself. With dominant genes taking over to create creature types. It's still an interesting idea that, but I think it would work far better as a test bed/interesting plaything at first...as game balance is therefore a bit messy.

After all how many real world species have died off for being crap? Or been good but killed off by a superior predator/shift in the ecosystem or similar?

You don't have such time to spend on gamers really. Say, several million years.

I'm reminded of a playstation rpg I had a demo of, which was similar to pokemon, in that you caught creatures by fighting them, but after you'd caught them, you could merge them into hybrid creatures and have them fight with you. It wasn't like breeding since there was no mating going on, just like a magical meld that created the new creature.

Anybody know what game I'm talking about?

I'm reminded of a playstation rpg I had a demo of, which was similar to pokemon, in that you caught creatures by fighting them, but after you'd caught them, you could merge them into hybrid creatures and have them fight with you. It wasn't like breeding since there was no mating going on, just like a magical meld that created the new creature.

Anybody know what game I'm talking about?

Jade Cocoon? I remember playing, and quite enjoying a demo for it way back when.

rllmuk is about games, now? :ph34r:

Anyway, the reason people aren't seeing this video any earlier than now is that game promotion/propaganda is mostly about large shiny screenshots, not sitting down for half an hour and being talked through clever principles in game design.

Oh, and Wil Wright is clearly a genius. What a nice chap that he wants to use that genius to entertain us.

Man, I finally got around to watching that video on Google. The stuff on display looks really cool, lots of metagames to dip into every now and again (nearest thing I can think of is 'Pirates!'), while the overall experience is second to none.

Very cool.

• 1 month later...