IGNORED

Commando Madness!

Hello Goaty ♥

On 3/14/2017 at 14:40, DirkCrisis said:

I wonder how many men have legally changed their name to John Matrix over the years?

John Matrix and Casey Ryback. Only elite counter terrorist commandos should be allowed to change their names to either. This should be a law. 

It's a pity Commando 2 was never made... as crazy as the story sounded for it

http://movieweb.com/die-hard-not-based-on-commando-2-script/

"So for Commando 2, we figured that Arnold, after blowing up half of Los Angeles, achieves some notoriety, retires from the army and, by the time the sequel occurs, is running a security firm. The plot would have seen him hired by a big corporation to oversee their security to protect their executives from being kidnapped, to stop people breaking into their building and to make sure their computers are secure. So he sets it up and hires the most dangerous people to be guards in the building and then lo and behold - he discovers the people he's working for are in the illegal arms business and the big corporation is simply a front. The end of the movie would see Jenny and Cindy, who is now a lawyer, trapped in the building and Arnold now has to defeat all the people he hired - all the meanest, toughest guards - as well as the security systems, the guard dogs, everything! So now, the awareness of Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to break into a building got conflated with Bruce Willis being trapped in a building. If there's something out there that resembles what Commando 2 was meant to be, it would probably be the recent Stallone/Schwarzenegger movie Escape Plan."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

On 02/05/2017 at 13:54, Pob said:

Watching Commando the other night made me question again why modern action films can't just make sense at a basic level.

Until the final 20 minutes of carnage, Commando is essentially pretty grounded and straightforward. Things happen for a logical reason and everyone's motivations make sense.

Bad guys kill members of Arnie's old unit so his ex-CO flies out to warn him, revealing his hidden location. They kidnap Arnie, who promptly escapes and has the length of the flight to rescue his daughter before the bad guys realise something is wrong. He dashes back to the airport terminal, tails his handler (the only lead he has), gets the location of Sully's meeting with Cooke via a motel key, they search Cooke's car and find the address to a dock being used as a staging area where they find the location of the island where his daughter is being held. He flies out there and kills everyone. Fin.

That such a dumb 80s action movie puts to shame pretty much every modern blockbuster in its narrative logic and simplicity is telling. Why does modern stuff like Skyfall, Into Darkness etc have to have such huge plot holes and make characters behave in ways that leave your scratching your head?

Don't get me wrong, I love Commando. But it's a monumentally stupid film. The opening where the bad guys pretend to be binmen, wtf? And the guy who they want to kill just happens to hear them driving down his road in their dustbin truck,  remarks on the fact its the wrong day for the binmen to collect the trash and then goes running out with his rubbish anyway so they can pop a cap in his ass :lol:

Or the fact the bad guys turn up at Matrix's ultra secret lair in cars literally minutes after General Kirby has led them to it in his helicopter. 

Or the several bits of good fortune, Matrix just happens to kidnap a fittie who can fly a plane, wield a rocket launcher and they just happen to stumble on a map which points them to the bad guys lair complete with bullet proof rosebushes.

Citing Commando as some sort of example of good storytelling and an example to other films is a case of severe rose tinted glasses. Its The Room of 80s action films and I love it for that very reason.

The way he works out from a map and a picture of a plane where his daughter  also makes no sense. I mean, ok maybe but he decides it must be true and they head off. What if he got the wrong one? What if the guy who works there just likes sea planes?

This and a previously law abiding citizen a firing a rocket launcher at a police car makes no sense. It's made out she can't aim as well, so what the fuck was she trying to do? Kill everyone?

Amazing. 

16 hours ago, mash said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Commando. But it's a monumentally stupid film. The opening where the bad guys pretend to be binmen, wtf? And the guy who they want to kill just happens to hear them driving down his road in their dustbin truck,  remarks on the fact its the wrong day for the binmen to collect the trash and then goes running out with his rubbish anyway so they can pop a cap in his ass :lol:

Or the fact the bad guys turn up at Matrix's ultra secret lair in cars literally minutes after General Kirby has led them to it in his helicopter. 

Or the several bits of good fortune, Matrix just happens to kidnap a fittie who can fly a plane, wield a rocket launcher and they just happen to stumble on a map which points them to the bad guys lair complete with bullet proof rosebushes.

Citing Commando as some sort of example of good storytelling and an example to other films is a case of severe rose tinted glasses. Its The Room of 80s action films and I love it for that very reason.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hR5JoBp82KaPe/giphy.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...