IGNORED

Commando Madness!

Hello Goaty ♥

Thanks to Netflix I'm pushing this on my friends at every opportunity. So much fun. We did notice during the scene where we see tits that the position the couple are in is unusual, we suspect a strap on. Thoughts?

To be fair she rejected his charming advances, clearly a prostitute. 

One of my favourite thing about the film is her character arc- fearful law abiding citizen to shooting a rocket at a police vehicle in about ten minutes.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Isn't there a scene right at the start at his house where he chucks a saw blade at someone or something like that?

I saw it on Netflix t he other day and that opening bit seemed a lot shorter than I remember it, he just went into the shed, got the gun and left again. Am I thinking of a completely different film? It didn't seem to make sense that Netflix would have cut it to me so I'm wondering if it was never even a thing.

The sawblade bit is when Matrix goes into Arius's shed, and uses every single piece of gardening paraphenalia in there to massacre stuntmen with obvious prosthetics. It's pretty heavily cut in lots of versions, even though it's probably less graphic than a modern 12 certificate.

5 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

The sawblade bit is when Matrix goes into Arius's shed, and uses every single piece of gardening paraphenalia in there to massacre stuntmen with obvious prosthetics. It's pretty heavily cut in lots of versions, even though it's probably less graphic than a modern 12 certificate.

I knew I wasn't dreaming it.

Oh but it's Arius' shed? At the end?

Aha. That explains it. For some reason I thought it was at the start, I better re-watch all of it then. I had to go somewhere just as he drove into the gun shop so didn't see it all.

• 1 month later...

There's too many faux-smart action movies these days that confuse convoluted webs of guff double-crosses and elaborate schemes with being intelligent. It's one of the reasons John Wick was so good; man loses wife, man gets dog, assholes kill dog, man kills assholes. That's about the extent of it. There's some subplots about assholes trying to get other assassins to kill Wick but they're most there to slow the pace down a bit.

12 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

There's too many faux-smart action movies these days that confuse convoluted webs of guff double-crosses and elaborate schemes with being intelligent. It's one of the reasons John Wick was so good; man loses wife, man gets dog, assholes kill dog, man kills assholes. That's about the extent of it. There's some subplots about assholes trying to get other assassins to kill Wick but they're most there to slow the pace down a bit.

Totally. I just wrote up my opinions of Star Trek Beyond in the respective thread. It's not as bad as the worst offenders, but still fails basic tests for suspending disbelief.

A plot can be very simple at heart but satisfyingly complex in its attention to detail. Die Hard is a straightforward action film about thieves holding people hostage in a tall building while they attempt to crack the safe. But within that, there is detail, and it all makes sense. There's all the stuff about McClane trying to get the police to respond, which brings in police procedure and, later on, FBI procedure which is exploited by Gruber. There's the technical detail of the safe, with its passwords, mechanical locks and final EM lock. There's Gruber's plan to fake their deaths by blowing the hostages up on the roof, which means the detonators he spends ages chasing aren't just a pointless macguffin. The building as a physical space is clearly communicated so the viewer can understand where everything is happening. Everyone has a believable motivation to be where they are and act the way they do.

I watched Die Hard about four or five times before I took in each detail and every viewing just reinforced how well it's put together.

Blockbusters these days fall apart before your eyes. By the time you've got home and caught up on the rllmuk thread, you realise the whole thing was barely-coherent tripe.

Speaking in very broad terms, it's that word "dumb" that has led to the sort of faux-smart action we largely get nowadays. It's easy to forget there was a period in the 90s/early 2000s where it was fashionable to bash, or at best poorly-lampoon, 80s and 90s action as dumb trash. In some ways it was needed; action films were getting bigger and sillier, trying to out-silly and out-big each other to the point where the genre was on a hiding to nothing. Very generally there was a shift towards more serious adaptations of comics, which gave way to the comedy action boom of the late decade. This created a gulf that throwback films like The Expendables, Machette, John Wick, Mad Max Fury Road, the new Independence Day, hell even Olympus Has Fallen tried to fill, some with more success than others. Maybe this is wishful thinking but it feels like the dark, serious period is ebbing away. Will action films be fun again?

On Tuesday, April 24, 2007 at 11:49, XBOKS said:

Jeez, I've got a VHS copy of Ghostbusters which was taped off ITV in 1986 - Peck's name is changed to Wick to avoid the whole "Mr Pecker" bit - he's referred to as "Wally Wick" instead!

And yeah the dubbed version of Robocop is a damn classic :(

Jesus, Ghostbusters is one of the first films i remember seeing, i was 4 in '86 i think it couldve been that one as i remember that scene!

On 05/05/2017 at 18:29, McFly said:

Jesus, Ghostbusters is one of the first films i remember seeing, i was 4 in '86 i think it couldve been that one as i remember that scene!

There's no way Ghostbusters was on ITV in '86.  It was years before movies were on terrestrial TV back then.

56 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

There's no way Ghostbusters was on ITV in '86.  It was years before movies were on terrestrial TV back then.

When was it released? I was going on what @xboks said about it and how it coincided with my memories.